Things aren't starting and stuff is all buggy

Kevin

Things aren't starting and stuff is all buggy
When i try to open a program from the microsoft works (For example Microsoft
word processor), it says "The program you selected is missing or
corrupted..."
Also, when i try to open windows media player it doesn't open! There may be
other programs that don't open but i haven't used much of them. It seems that
it's only the windows vista applications! must be a codec or something I
installed. Help mee

----------------
click "I Agree" in the message pane.

http://windowshelp.microsoft.com/com...ce_maintenance
Rick Rogers

Re: Things aren't starting and stuff is all buggy
Hi,

A codec wouldn't have anything to do with a word processor application. In
fact, the only issue it would cause would be an inability to play certain
file types from the media player.

Some background on your system would be helpful. Things like how long has
this been happening? What were your doing with the system and what changes
were made, what software was installed, did you update any applications
(especially antivirus software) prior to this happening?

Are you able to run applications by typing the executable name directly into
the start/search prompt?

--
Best of Luck,

http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
Windows help - www.rickrogers.org

"Kevin" <Kevin@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
news668F486-E308-42EB-B4B2-9AB8A485254A@microsoft.com...
> When i try to open a program from the microsoft works (For example
> Microsoft
> word processor), it says "The program you selected is missing or
> corrupted..."
> Also, when i try to open windows media player it doesn't open! There may
> be
> other programs that don't open but i haven't used much of them. It seems
> that
> it's only the windows vista applications! must be a codec or something I
> installed. Help mee
>
> ----------------
> this
> click "I Agree" in the message pane.
>
> http://windowshelp.microsoft.com/com...ce_maintenance

Malke

Kevin wrote:
> When i try to open a program from the microsoft works (For example Microsoft
> word processor), it says "The program you selected is missing or
> corrupted..."
> Also, when i try to open windows media player it doesn't open! There may be
> other programs that don't open but i haven't used much of them. It seems that
> it's only the windows vista applications! must be a codec or something I
> installed. Help mee

We don't have enough information to give you focused help. This link
will show you what details you need to include in your next post:

http://www.dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

However, a big red flag goes up for me when I read this - "must be a
codec or something I installed" - because one of the prime ways some
very virulent malware gets into a Windows system is when the user
downloads and installs dodgy codecs. So you should definitely address
whether your machine is virus/malware-free as a first priority.

The First Question Of Troubleshooting: what changed between the time
things worked and the time they didn't?

The Second Question of Windows Troubleshooting: what is the
malware/virus status of the machine? If you think it is clean, what
programs (and versions) did you use to determine this?

Be sure the computer is clean:

Malke
--
Elephant Boy Computers
www.elephantboycomputers.com
Kevin

Re: Things aren't starting and stuff is all buggy

Uhh.. It happened a few months ago!
Everything works fine when i log into another user though.

I've switched between many firewalls with free trials. I've had Mcafee,
OneCare, and now i'm using trend micro.
I've installed FDDSHOW or however you spell it..google toolbar..
Is there a way to locate the problem?
Malke

Kevin wrote:
> Uhh.. It happened a few months ago!
> Everything works fine when i log into another user though.
>
> I've switched between many firewalls with free trials. I've had Mcafee,
> OneCare, and now i'm using trend micro.
> I've installed FDDSHOW or however you spell it..google toolbar..
> Is there a way to locate the problem?

Not without more specific information from you. However, if everything
works in a different user account either 1) find out what is different
about that account - perhaps a program is running that isn't running in
the working account; or 2) create a new user account and if all is well
with it, use that one instead.

Definitely you should uninstall the Google Toolbar and any other
toolbars like Yahoo's. They cause issues with XP and Vista.

Malke