How often are Volume Shadow Copies generated in Windows Vista?

RichG

How often are Volume Shadow Copies generated in Windows Vista?
Documentation on the Microsoft site indicates that when System Protection is
enabled, Vista will make volume shadow copies automatically. I have not yet
found any documentation that explains when (under what conditions) volume
shadow copies are generated.

I do know that running a system backup in Windows Vista will generate a
volume show copy of a file (if needed).

Can anyone explain how often (or under what conditions) volume shadow copies
are generated in Vista?
--
RichG
UnswoleLilDude

Re: How often are Volume Shadow Copies generated in Windows Vista?
A shadow copy is created every time a backup is made no matter if it's a
Restore Point (done every time your computer boots up and when drivers and
software are installed, only backs up system files), Complete PC Backup, or
File Backup.

This might help a little.
http://www.maximumpcguides.com/resto...windows-vista/

--
www.MAXIMUMpcguides.com
Help and how-to guides that help you get the most out of your PC.

"RichG" <RichG@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Documentation on the Microsoft site indicates that when System Protection
> is
> enabled, Vista will make volume shadow copies automatically. I have not
> yet
> found any documentation that explains when (under what conditions) volume
> shadow copies are generated.
>
> I do know that running a system backup in Windows Vista will generate a
> volume show copy of a file (if needed).
>
> Can anyone explain how often (or under what conditions) volume shadow
> copies
> are generated in Vista?
> --
> RichG

Bert Kinney

Re: How often are Volume Shadow Copies generated in Windows Vista?
Hi,

Here are a few articles of interest.

Windows Vista Help: Previous versions of files: frequently asked questions
http://windowshelp.microsoft.com/Win...f40121033.mspx

How Volume Shadow Copy Service Works
http://technet2.microsoft.com/window...7765f1033.mspx

Volume Shadow Copy Service Technical Reference
http://technet2.microsoft.com/window...12a831033.mspx

Regards,
Bert Kinney MS-MVP Shell/User
http://bertk.mvps.org