Cannot create System Restore point; Windows Update hangs

JPhilo

Cannot create System Restore point; Windows Update hangs

My new Vista Business Dell laptop is just a week old but already I'm
having serious OS issues. The entire System Restore system seems to be
hung up and not functioning. For example, if I go to the System
Protection tab in System Properties, in the 'Available Disks' box it
just says "Searching..." and never comes out of that. The System Restore
and Create... (restore point) buttons are greyed out. There definitely
should be a number of restore points already, but none are accessible.

This problem also appears to be causing Windows Update to hang.
Whenever it tries to install updates it gets to the point where it says
'creating restore point...' and then it just hangs there forever.

So I think I need to find some way to manually reset or restart the
entire System Restore system. I've searched this and some other forums
but haven't found anyone in a similar situation. Can someone please
help?

--
JPhilo
Bert Kinney

Re: Cannot create System Restore point; Windows Update hangs
Hi JPhilo,

Use Disk Clean-up to remove all but the most recent Restore Points and
Shadow Copies.

Using Disk Clean-up in Windows Vista:
http://bertk.mvps.org/html/diskcleanupv.html

Now disable System Restore and then enable it. This will remove all existing
restore points.

How to disable System Restore in Windows Vista:
http://bertk.mvps.org/html/disablesrv.html

Do not set System Restore to monitor any drives other than the one Windows
is installed on.

Regards,
Bert Kinney MS-MVP Shell/User
http://bertk.mvps.org
Member: http://dts-l.org

JPhilo wrote:
> My new Vista Business Dell laptop is just a week old but already I'm
> having serious OS issues. The entire System Restore system seems to be
> hung up and not functioning. For example, if I go to the System
> Protection tab in System Properties, in the 'Available Disks' box it
> just says "Searching..." and never comes out of that. The System Restore
> and Create... (restore point) buttons are greyed out. There definitely
> should be a number of restore points already, but none are accessible.
>
> This problem also appears to be causing Windows Update to hang.
> Whenever it tries to install updates it gets to the point where it says
> 'creating restore point...' and then it just hangs there forever.
>
> So I think I need to find some way to manually reset or restart the
> entire System Restore system. I've searched this and some other forums
> but haven't found anyone in a similar situation. Can someone please
> help?

JPhilo

Re: Cannot create System Restore point; Windows Update hangs

Bert, thanks for the suggestions but I had already tried to clean out
the old Restore Points. When I try to do this Disk Cleanup just gets
hung up (no wait cursor but totally unresponsive, and still totally
unresposive after an hour).

John

--
JPhilo
Bert Kinney

Re: Cannot create System Restore point; Windows Update hangs
Hi John,

Considering the age of the computer, I would suggest contacting Dell Support.

http://support.dell.com/support/topi...n&s=dhs&~tab=1

JPhilo wrote:
> Bert, thanks for the suggestions but I had already tried to clean out
> the old Restore Points. When I try to do this Disk Cleanup just gets
> hung up (no wait cursor but totally unresponsive, and still totally
> unresposive after an hour).
>
> John

Scott Hauge

Re: Cannot create System Restore point; Windows Update hangs
Okay, you have told us how to delete and shut off System Restore....NOW, how
do you TURN IT BACK ON, especially for one who had his "shut off" somehow in
the last few days. My GROUP POLICY no longer "allows" me to create restore
points. Is that one of the new and improved features of Vista? Why does
this seem like a beta test? Thanks!

"Bert Kinney" wrote:

> Hi JPhilo,
>
> Use Disk Clean-up to remove all but the most recent Restore Points and
> Shadow Copies.
>
> Using Disk Clean-up in Windows Vista:
> http://bertk.mvps.org/html/diskcleanupv.html
>
> Now disable System Restore and then enable it. This will remove all existing
> restore points.
>
> How to disable System Restore in Windows Vista:
> http://bertk.mvps.org/html/disablesrv.html
>
> Do not set System Restore to monitor any drives other than the one Windows
> is installed on.
>
> Regards,
> Bert Kinney MS-MVP Shell/User
> http://bertk.mvps.org
> Member: http://dts-l.org
>

> JPhilo wrote:
> > My new Vista Business Dell laptop is just a week old but already I'm
> > having serious OS issues. The entire System Restore system seems to be
> > hung up and not functioning. For example, if I go to the System
> > Protection tab in System Properties, in the 'Available Disks' box it
> > just says "Searching..." and never comes out of that. The System Restore
> > and Create... (restore point) buttons are greyed out. There definitely
> > should be a number of restore points already, but none are accessible.
> >
> > This problem also appears to be causing Windows Update to hang.
> > Whenever it tries to install updates it gets to the point where it says
> > 'creating restore point...' and then it just hangs there forever.
> >
> > So I think I need to find some way to manually reset or restart the
> > entire System Restore system. I've searched this and some other forums
> > but haven't found anyone in a similar situation. Can someone please
> > help?

Chrisk

RE: Cannot create System Restore point; Windows Update hangs
I have been searching for an answer to this problem for three days now. I
have a dell portable 1720 with windows vista business. I tried to report the
problem to dell. They told me it was a software problem and referred me to
another number that wanted to charge me $249 to fix the problem. I stated I
got the problem installing there updates. They referred me back to hardware
support. The want to reinstall windows. I said no not just yet. Thats why
I am here looking for answers. It just seems funny that you have a dell
laptop with windows business.

"JPhilo" wrote:

> My new Vista Business Dell laptop is just a week old but already I'm
> having serious OS issues. The entire System Restore system seems to be
> hung up and not functioning. For example, if I go to the System
> Protection tab in System Properties, in the 'Available Disks' box it
> just says "Searching..." and never comes out of that. The System Restore
> and Create... (restore point) buttons are greyed out. There definitely
> should be a number of restore points already, but none are accessible.
>
> This problem also appears to be causing Windows Update to hang.
> Whenever it tries to install updates it gets to the point where it says
> 'creating restore point...' and then it just hangs there forever.
>
> So I think I need to find some way to manually reset or restart the
> entire System Restore system. I've searched this and some other forums
> but haven't found anyone in a similar situation. Can someone please
> help?
>

> --
> JPhilo

Theo

RE: Cannot create System Restore point; Windows Update hangs
I have the exact same problem.

Not a dell machine, a custom build machine.

SP1 RC1, 1st release. My problems started when i downloaded the small update
for the release of SP1 RC1 refresh. It started then, I did a system restore
and went back to a day before. Now it does not detect the Sp1 installation
from MS but the latest updates from my WSUS server. It hangs for no reason.

Just says searching for restore points.

IMHO it would have been better if system restore worked with a service. If
the service was stopped, the files could have been deleted

There are no new hardware changes. No antivirus or 3rd party anti spyware.
Latest updates was SP1 refresh but went back to before that.

Suggestions welcome, BTW, it is not because yuou have a DELL machine and
DELL will not be able to support you.

Sounds to me i'm going to use all my Action Pack Activations on Beta testing
MS Vista Business for them. After the 10 activations, I will propably have to
buy an OEM again. Been re-doing my OS so much it is not funny.

suggestions welcome, Please!

Theo
queenswaypc@mweb.co.za

"Chrisk" wrote:

> I have been searching for an answer to this problem for three days now. I
> have a dell portable 1720 with windows vista business. I tried to report the
> problem to dell. They told me it was a software problem and referred me to
> another number that wanted to charge me $249 to fix the problem. I stated I
> got the problem installing there updates. They referred me back to hardware
> support. The want to reinstall windows. I said no not just yet. Thats why
> I am here looking for answers. It just seems funny that you have a dell
> laptop with windows business.
>
> "JPhilo" wrote:
>

> > My new Vista Business Dell laptop is just a week old but already I'm
> > having serious OS issues. The entire System Restore system seems to be
> > hung up and not functioning. For example, if I go to the System
> > Protection tab in System Properties, in the 'Available Disks' box it
> > just says "Searching..." and never comes out of that. The System Restore
> > and Create... (restore point) buttons are greyed out. There definitely
> > should be a number of restore points already, but none are accessible.
> >
> > This problem also appears to be causing Windows Update to hang.
> > Whenever it tries to install updates it gets to the point where it says
> > 'creating restore point...' and then it just hangs there forever.
> >
> > So I think I need to find some way to manually reset or restart the
> > entire System Restore system. I've searched this and some other forums
> > but haven't found anyone in a similar situation. Can someone please
> > help?
> >

> > --
> > JPhilo

JPhilo

Re: Cannot create System Restore point; Windows Update hangs

Sorry but I never really found a solution. You MAY find that your
computer will eventually create a restore point if you wait and wait
(hours). But for my machine the only cure was to re-format the hard
drive and start over (the Dell utility to restore the hard drive to the
as-purchased state did not work!).

I certainly agree Vista feels like a beta and I much regret not getting
XP instead.

John

--
JPhilo

sach is on a distinguished road
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
cannot create system restore point windows vista hangs
I had this very same problem, I think it came from installing sp1.
to remedy this I booted from my vista disk let it load as normal and when it came to the point of install or repair click repair, then you see the option to system restore click on that, select your restore point, and wait until it finishes, in my case it said it was unsuccessful but nevertheless when I rebooted it was all as it was before and I could access updates and system restore, if you have a disk do try it and good luck in your search.
sach