Install more 1GB RAM

MehradSys

Install more 1GB RAM
Hello Everyone,
I have a computer with 2GB DDR2 Patriot RAM on Asus P5K Deluxe WIFI
Motherboard, runing vista ultimate, i using this computer for video editing,
you know video editing using larg of ram amount. i want to install again a
1GB DDR2 RAM for (total 3gb), can this improve performance, or i must
install 2 GB, so 2GB is more price than 1gb.
Mike Hall - MVP

Re: Install more 1GB RAM
For best RAM performance, you should always used matched pairs. Introducing
an odd number can impair RAM performance overall, but you do get the benefit
of more RAM. In fairness, you might not even notice the performance hit.

If you go for 2 x 2gb modules, ensure that they are the same type, speed,
general spec etc and be prepared to not see all of the 4gb. At best, your
machine will see maybe 3.5gb, at worst 2.9gb. It all depends on board
design.

A 3gb setup will see all RAM installed.

--
Mike Hall - MVP
Posting Productively.. http://www.dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

"MehradSys" <mehradk@msn.com> wrote in message
> Hello Everyone,
> I have a computer with 2GB DDR2 Patriot RAM on Asus P5K Deluxe WIFI
> Motherboard, runing vista ultimate, i using this computer for video
> editing,
> you know video editing using larg of ram amount. i want to install again a
> 1GB DDR2 RAM for (total 3gb), can this improve performance, or i must
> install 2 GB, so 2GB is more price than 1gb.

ato_zee@hotmail.com

Re: Install more 1GB RAM

On 30-Oct-2007, =?Utf-8?B?TWVocmFkU3lz?= <mehradk@msn.com> wrote:

> i want to install again a
> 1GB DDR2 RAM for (total 3gb), can this improve performance, or i must
> install 2 GB, so 2GB is more price than 1gb.

DDR2 is normally fitted as matched pairs, such as 2 x 1GB or 2 x 2GB.
I went for the latter 2 x 2GB Crucial pc2 5300 new sealed pack 50 USD
on eBay.
Note that Asus motherboards may not show the full 4GB, it is alleged
that some is taken for the video, audio, the LAN etc, and that you
need Vista 64 bit to get the full benefit of 4GB.
Peanya

RE: Install more 1GB RAM
If you add another 2GB, you will probably need to bump up the voltage going
to the memory and the Northbridge in the boards BIOS to get stable. As
mentioned, if you are using the 32 bit version, stick with the 2GB instead of
adding more.
Chris Blunt

Re: Install more 1GB RAM
On Tue, 30 Oct 2007 18:25:01 -0700, Peanya
<Peanya@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>If you add another 2GB, you will probably need to bump up the voltage going
>to the memory and the Northbridge in the boards BIOS to get stable. As
>mentioned, if you are using the 32 bit version, stick with the 2GB instead of
>adding more.

Surely the memory voltage setting in the BIOS should be set to the
correct level for the memory chips regardless of how much memory is
installed?

I ran into a problem with the default memory voltage on my motherboard
being set to 1.8V, which caused all kind of problems before I
discovered what was going on. Resetting it to the correct level of
2.2V, as required by the memory I was using solved the problems
immediately.

Chris
peter

Re: Install more 1GB RAM
You dont say wether that 2gb of RAM is one 2gb chip or 2x1gb chips........if
one 2gb chip then another 2gb would be beneficial enabling your system to
run in Dual Channel mode.If you have 2x1gb stix then adding another 1gb
would be slightly beneficial...adding 2x1gb stix would keep the dual channel
mode
peter
"MehradSys" <mehradk@msn.com> wrote in message
> Hello Everyone,
> I have a computer with 2GB DDR2 Patriot RAM on Asus P5K Deluxe WIFI
> Motherboard, runing vista ultimate, i using this computer for video
> editing,
> you know video editing using larg of ram amount. i want to install again a
> 1GB DDR2 RAM for (total 3gb), can this improve performance, or i must
> install 2 GB, so 2GB is more price than 1gb.

Ian D

Re: Install more 1GB RAM

"MehradSys" <mehradk@msn.com> wrote in message
> Hello Everyone,
> I have a computer with 2GB DDR2 Patriot RAM on Asus P5K Deluxe WIFI
> Motherboard, runing vista ultimate, i using this computer for video
> editing,
> you know video editing using larg of ram amount. i want to install again a
> 1GB DDR2 RAM for (total 3gb), can this improve performance, or i must
> install 2 GB, so 2GB is more price than 1gb.

If you want 3 GB you could install 2 x 512 MB of the same timings as
your existing memory. But, at the price of RAM, why not go for the
full 4 GB. Then you'll be ready if you ever move to a 64 bit OS.
Another consideration is that memory standards are always evolving,
and down the road it may be difficult to find proper matches to your
existing RAM.

ramses

Re: Install more 1GB RAM

"MehradSys" <mehradk@msn.com> schreef in bericht
> Hello Everyone,
> I have a computer with 2GB DDR2 Patriot RAM on Asus P5K Deluxe WIFI
> Motherboard, runing vista ultimate, i using this computer for video
> editing,
> you know video editing using larg of ram amount. i want to install again a
> 1GB DDR2 RAM for (total 3gb), can this improve performance, or i must
> install 2 GB, so 2GB is more price than 1gb.

Vista cannot address more then 3,12 GB
See the KB of MS

dzomlija

Re: Install more 1GB RAM

ramses;512762 Wrote:
> Vista cannot address more then 3,12 GB
> See the KB of MS

This is not a limitation of Vista per se, but that of -all- 32-Bit
operating systems.

Vista x64 can address memory spaces up to several TeraBytes (TB), but
depending on which version of Vista x64 you have, is limited to 128GB.

--
dzomlija

____________________________________
Peter Alexander Dzomlija
Do you hear, huh? The Alpha and The Omega? Death and Rebirth? And as
you die, so shall I be Reborn...

- ASUS A8N32-SLi-Deluxe
- AMD Atlon 64 Dual-Core 4800+
- 4GB DDR400
- ASUS nVidia 6600
- Thermaltake Tai-Chi Watercooled Chassis
- 1207GB Total Formatted Storage
- Vista Ultimate x64
- CodeGear Delphi 2007http://dzomlija.spaces.live.com/
ato_zee@hotmail.com

Re: Install more 1GB RAM

On 13-Nov-2007, dzomlija <dzomlija.3005y1@no-mx.forums.net> wrote:

> Vista x64 can address memory spaces up to several TeraBytes (TB), but
> depending on which version of Vista x64 you have, is limited to 128GB.

I've Vista 64bit Ultimate with 4GB Crucial 533, but shiddy Asus BIOS
says 4194304K installed, 3314312K available on first BIOS setup
screen. So the mobo is grabbing 879992K (0.88GB) for LAN and
Audio support, I'm not using PCI-Express at present.
So RAM should be installed in matched pairs, but if you install
4GB DDR2 your mobo may not let Vista see/use/access all of
it.
Adding just 1 extra stick may upset things, think 2x512 sticks.