Windows Update keeps on telling me to install an update which has already been installed!

mlai

Windows Update keeps on telling me to install an update which has already been installed!
OK, this completely baffles me.....

I have a small network at home, all running Vista Business and Vista
Ultimate x64. On one of the Ultimate x64 machines, windows update keeps on
telling me to install the Dreamscene update. I have installed and restarted
the machine, windows update show that Dreamscene installed successfully, but
it continues to ask me to install the Dreamscene again! Even the shutdown
button has an exclaimation mark saying "logoff and install updates" or
something to that effect.

BTW, the machines are managed via a WSUS3.0 on a SBS2003. Thus the
cross-post to the SUS groups.....

What can I do? This is a pain in the rear-end.....

Please help!!!!

AJenbo

Re: Windows Update keeps on telling me to install an update which has already been installed!

you can right click the update and then select to hide it, this should
prevent it from poping up again. I had the same issue with and update
for visual c# express.

--
AJenbo
Ken Zhao [MSFT]

Re: Windows Update keeps on telling me to install an update which has already been installed!
Hello,

Thank you for using newsgroup and thanks for AJenbo's information sharing.

Thanks & Regards,

Ken Zhao

Microsoft Online Support

Get Secure! - www.microsoft.com/security <http://www.microsoft.com/security>

mlai

Re: Windows Update keeps on telling me to install an update which has already been installed!
But does this cause any other problems? Or could this be an indication of
other problems which will aftect the operations of Windows Update?
"mlai" <mlai@community.nospam> wrote in message
newsB990F69-91B3-40ED-838D-386A27CB0A18@microsoft.com...
> OK, this completely baffles me.....
>
> I have a small network at home, all running Vista Business and Vista
> Ultimate x64. On one of the Ultimate x64 machines, windows update keeps
> on telling me to install the Dreamscene update. I have installed and
> restarted the machine, windows update show that Dreamscene installed
> successfully, but it continues to ask me to install the Dreamscene again!
> Even the shutdown button has an exclaimation mark saying "logoff and
> install updates" or something to that effect.
>
> BTW, the machines are managed via a WSUS3.0 on a SBS2003. Thus the
> cross-post to the SUS groups.....
>
> What can I do? This is a pain in the rear-end.....
>
> Please help!!!!

yihia

"mlai" wrote:

> But does this cause any other problems? Or could this be an indication of
> other problems which will aftect the operations of Windows Update?
> "mlai" <mlai@community.nospam> wrote in message
> newsB990F69-91B3-40ED-838D-386A27CB0A18@microsoft.com...
> > OK, this completely baffles me.....
> >
> > I have a small network at home, all running Vista Business and Vista
> > Ultimate x64. On one of the Ultimate x64 machines, windows update keeps
> > on telling me to install the Dreamscene update. I have installed and
> > restarted the machine, windows update show that Dreamscene installed
> > successfully, but it continues to ask me to install the Dreamscene again!
> > Even the shutdown button has an exclaimation mark saying "logoff and
> > install updates" or something to that effect.
> >
> > BTW, the machines are managed via a WSUS3.0 on a SBS2003. Thus the
> > cross-post to the SUS groups.....
> >
> > What can I do? This is a pain in the rear-end.....
> >
> > Please help!!!!

Sherry

Re: Windows Update keeps on telling me to install an update which
I to am having the same problem. I have a desk top that keeps wanting me to
update the Security Update for Microsoft XML Core Services 4.0 Service Pack 2
(KB936181) i have done this four times and restarted my computer but it keeps
telling me that I have a update and it is the same one. Help what can I do
to get it to stop doing this???

Sherry

"yihia" wrote:

> "mlai" wrote:
>
> > But does this cause any other problems? Or could this be an indication of
> > other problems which will aftect the operations of Windows Update?
> > "mlai" <mlai@community.nospam> wrote in message
> > newsB990F69-91B3-40ED-838D-386A27CB0A18@microsoft.com...
> > > OK, this completely baffles me.....
> > >
> > > I have a small network at home, all running Vista Business and Vista
> > > Ultimate x64. On one of the Ultimate x64 machines, windows update keeps
> > > on telling me to install the Dreamscene update. I have installed and
> > > restarted the machine, windows update show that Dreamscene installed
> > > successfully, but it continues to ask me to install the Dreamscene again!
> > > Even the shutdown button has an exclaimation mark saying "logoff and
> > > install updates" or something to that effect.
> > >
> > > BTW, the machines are managed via a WSUS3.0 on a SBS2003. Thus the
> > > cross-post to the SUS groups.....
> > >
> > > What can I do? This is a pain in the rear-end.....
> > >
> > > Please help!!!!

trmcdougle@knightpiesold.co.uk

Re: Windows Update keeps on telling me to install an update which
I had a similar problem (with a different update-932168) a that I
fixed a couple of days ago.

I went into the folder where the update was located (and trying to
install from) and ran the update.exe manually, the install worked and
the problem went away.

The folder was in Windows\SoftwareDistribution\Download
\xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx\update where
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx is a long hexadecimal code.

This update was one that has worked on about 100 other PCs, this is
the only 1 it has failed on. Curiously looking at WSUS administration
I see there are 3 other updates that have in similar fashion failed,
and again on exactly 1 machine!

On Nov 1, 8:59 pm, Sherry <She...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
> I to am having the same problem. I have a desk top that keeps wanting me to
> update the Security Update for Microsoft XML Core Services 4.0 Service Pack 2
> (KB936181) i have done this four times and restarted my computer but it keeps
> telling me that I have a update and it is the same one. Help what can I do
> to get it to stop doing this???
>
> Sherry

snip...

Sherry

Re: Windows Update keeps on telling me to install an update which
Since I am new to al this could you tell me where I can find that folder? I
really dont know that much about computers. I try to do the best I can and It
sure is a learning process.

Thanks Sheryy