File Backup question

Arun91292

File Backup question
Hi, I'm using vista home premium and want to do a backup onto DVD. Just a
small question, if I want to put the computer into sleep or hibernate, will
the backup pick up from where it left off?, or will it start again from
scratch?

I need to know this as the backup takes ages, and will certainly carry on
through the night- but since I need to be there to load a fresh DVD (which
would be impossible at 3 in the morning) it would be easier if I could do the
above.
John Hanley

Re: File Backup question
When I started out with my Vista Home Premium computer, I tried
to use DVD's as my backup media; however, this was futile for me because it
took too long and used many DVD's. I bought an external 160 GB USB drive
for about $60 that I use solely for backups and that has made my computer
backup management a breeze and no worries about whether the computer is
asleep or not.

"Arun91292" <Arun91292@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Hi, I'm using vista home premium and want to do a backup onto DVD. Just a
> small question, if I want to put the computer into sleep or hibernate,
> will
> the backup pick up from where it left off?, or will it start again from
> scratch?
>
> I need to know this as the backup takes ages, and will certainly carry on
> through the night- but since I need to be there to load a fresh DVD (which
> would be impossible at 3 in the morning) it would be easier if I could do
> the
> above.

Arun91292

Re: File Backup question
thanks, I will certainly look into external hard drives. However I still need
to know whether I can resume the backup from the same point after putting the
computer to sleep or hibernation.

"John Hanley" wrote:

> When I started out with my Vista Home Premium computer, I tried
> to use DVD's as my backup media; however, this was futile for me because it
> took too long and used many DVD's. I bought an external 160 GB USB drive
> for about $60 that I use solely for backups and that has made my computer
> backup management a breeze and no worries about whether the computer is
> asleep or not.
>
> "Arun91292" <Arun91292@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Hi, I'm using vista home premium and want to do a backup onto DVD. Just a
> > small question, if I want to put the computer into sleep or hibernate,
> > will
> > the backup pick up from where it left off?, or will it start again from
> > scratch?
> >
> > I need to know this as the backup takes ages, and will certainly carry on
> > through the night- but since I need to be there to load a fresh DVD (which
> > would be impossible at 3 in the morning) it would be easier if I could do
> > the
> > above.

John Hanley

Re: File Backup question
Sorry, don't know whether you can resume after sleep or not; I never got
that far with DVD's.