Vista Will Not Start!

Weifert

Vista Will Not Start!
I'm using Vista Home Premium...One day I restarted my Acer Aspire 5630 and I
got a black screen with the message:

Windows failed to start. A recent hardware of software change might be
the cause

So I run Startup Repair, and it says "Startup Repair cannot repair this
computer automatically." Under the diagnostic and repair details it says the
root cause is that the system volume on disk is corrupt.

I booted directly to the DVD with the exact same result.

This is driving me up a wall and making me hate Vista... so if there is
anybody out there who can help me on this I would really appreciate it.
Rick Rogers

Re: Vista Will Not Start!
Hi,

That's a hardware problem, not a Vista problem, the file system is munged
and the hard drive cannot be loaded. Often times, this is only resolved by
recreating the system volume and starting from scratch. Boot from the DVD
and try running a chkdsk /r from the recovery environment (choose the
command prompt option), see if it can fix the drive. Otherwise, you may have
to go the long way 'round. Hopefully you backed up your data on a regular
basis.

--
Best of Luck,

http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
Windows help - www.rickrogers.org

"Weifert" <Weifert@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> I'm using Vista Home Premium...One day I restarted my Acer Aspire 5630 and
> got a black screen with the message:
>
> Windows failed to start. A recent hardware of software change might be
> the cause
>
> So I run Startup Repair, and it says "Startup Repair cannot repair this
> computer automatically." Under the diagnostic and repair details it says
> the
> root cause is that the system volume on disk is corrupt.
>
> I booted directly to the DVD with the exact same result.
>
> This is driving me up a wall and making me hate Vista... so if there is
> anybody out there who can help me on this I would really appreciate it.

AJR

Re: Vista Will Not Start!
Weifert - Run "Startup Repair" several times - there are instances involving
several causes and startup repair may treat them individually and not as a
group.

"Weifert" <Weifert@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> I'm using Vista Home Premium...One day I restarted my Acer Aspire 5630 and
> got a black screen with the message:
>
> Windows failed to start. A recent hardware of software change might be
> the cause
>
> So I run Startup Repair, and it says "Startup Repair cannot repair this
> computer automatically." Under the diagnostic and repair details it says
> the
> root cause is that the system volume on disk is corrupt.
>
> I booted directly to the DVD with the exact same result.
>
> This is driving me up a wall and making me hate Vista... so if there is
> anybody out there who can help me on this I would really appreciate it.

tsun

Re: Vista Will Not Start!

Hi, I have the exact same problem, and i'm well aware that this is not a
vista problem, however I cannot find a fix to this problem anywhere. I
was wondering how to start it up with the DVD? I was only given a
windows upgrade CD with the laptop and i've tried the chkdsk /r method
(tells me the thing is in use and to try again) as well as repeatedly
pressing the repair button.

--
tsun
tsun

Re: Vista Will Not Start!

I thought this wasn't a vista problem?? also, I can't complete the
repair because I did not get the dvd or cd with my laptop

--
tsun
brink

Re: Vista Will Not Start!

tsun;517207 Wrote:
> I thought this wasn't a vista problem?? also, I can't complete the
> repair because I did not get the dvd or cd with my laptop
> ---------------------------
> "brink" wrote:
> Hi Tsun,

> I would recommend doing a Repair Install to see if it will fix your
> problem. This will allow you to repair your Vista installation without
> loosing your files, settings, and programs. You can see how to do it in
> this tutorial.
>
> 'Repair Install For Vista'
> (http://www.vistax64.com/tutorials/88...all-vista.html)
>
> Shawn

Tsun,

Technically it is a corrupted hard drive problem. The repair install
is a option to try to repair the corruption damage instead of formatting
the hard drive and doing a clean install. If you have a friend with a
Vista installation DVD, you can borrow it to do the Repair Install. You
just will need to enter your product key during it.

Shawn

--
brink

*Please post feedback to help others.*
tsun

Re: Vista Will Not Start!

sorry to bring this up again.. but how do i boot to dvd? i finally got
he recovery dvd from acer

--
tsun
Curt

Re: Vista Will Not Start!
Might need to go into the bios, and make the
DVD the first bootable drive

--
Curt