Command prompt for flashing a bios

DougW

Command prompt for flashing a bios
I need to flash the bios on my RAID card (it is an Adaptec card, if that
matters). Adaptec says to create a dos boot disk and run it from there. Two
problems: I don't have a floppy and I don't know how to create a dos boot
disk in Vista.

I've tried using the command prompt you can get to using the Vista install
CD, but I can't execute the command. I always get an error that the exe
can't be found.. though it looks perfectly fine in the directory.

Any other thoughts on how to approach this?

Thanks!
Richard Urban

Re: Command prompt for flashing a bios
1. Get an external USB floppy drive. Yes, a floppy drive is still
necessary in this day and age.

2. Ask Adaptec how to create the disk that you need to flash "their"
bios. See if they have a utility that does this. Ask them what files must be
included on the floppy etc.

--

Regards,

Richard Urban
Microsoft MVP Windows Shell/User

"DougW" <DougW@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I need to flash the bios on my RAID card (it is an Adaptec card, if that
> matters). Adaptec says to create a dos boot disk and run it from there.
> Two
> problems: I don't have a floppy and I don't know how to create a dos boot
> disk in Vista.
>
> I've tried using the command prompt you can get to using the Vista install
> CD, but I can't execute the command. I always get an error that the exe
> can't be found.. though it looks perfectly fine in the directory.
>
> Any other thoughts on how to approach this?
>
> Thanks!

Rick Rogers

Re: Command prompt for flashing a bios
Hi Doug,

In addition to Richard, you might see if your manufacturer allows for
booting from a CD with the flash utility, many do now. The objective is to
not have the installation running at all (when you boot to the Vista disk,
parts of the install may be included), and it also needs to create a small
ram drive to operate in.

Boot disk images can be obtained from bootdisk.com for a variety of
purposes.

--
Best of Luck,

http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/