Vista randomly freezing on Startup

James

Vista randomly freezing on Startup
Sometimes when my computer is restarted or booted up, my computer will
freeze. But it always freezes at a specific moment in the startup proceedure:
On the black screen with the Windows logo, and the green progression bar
that circles round and round (Just before the password entry screen).

Normally it freezes after about several seconds on this screen - the green
bar just stops, and my computer makes no further noise, but for the fan.

It's soo anoying, as i have to restart again, with the random possibility of
it freezing again the next time. But its strange as it only sometimes
happens, or happens 3 times in a row.

I would be greatful for any suggestions.

Im currently running Windows Vista Home Premium, with soem of these specs:
Intel Due Core 6600 2.4Ghz
2046 RAM
NVidia GeForce 7900 GS SLI

brink

Re: Vista randomly freezing on Startup

James;496578 Wrote:
> Sometimes when my computer is restarted or booted up, my computer will
> freeze. But it always freezes at a specific moment in the startup
> proceedure:
> On the black screen with the Windows logo, and the green progression
> bar
> that circles round and round (Just before the password entry screen).
>
> Normally it freezes after about several seconds on this screen - the
> green
> bar just stops, and my computer makes no further noise, but for the
> fan.
>
> It's soo anoying, as i have to restart again, with the random
> possibility of
> it freezing again the next time. But its strange as it only sometimes
> happens, or happens 3 times in a row.
>
> I would be greatful for any suggestions.
>
> Im currently running Windows Vista Home Premium, with soem of these
> specs:
> Intel Due Core 6600 2.4Ghz
> 2046 RAM
> NVidia GeForce 7900 GS SLI

Hi James,

You might try doing a Startup Repair to see if it will fix your
problem. This tutorial will show you how.

http://www.vistax64.com/tutorials/91...up-repair.html

Shawn

--
brink

*Please post feedback to help others.*
James

Re: Vista randomly freezing on Startup
Thanks for your reply.

I did as you suggested, and ran startup repair. It scanned for a few
seconds, and didnt find any problems - but it said that if i had any devices
plugged in (camera, or mp3 player etc.) that i should take them out and
restart.

I have neither plugged into my computer on startup. But i do leave my
Wireless Internet plugged in its usb port, perhaps that is a reason for
Windows periodically freezing...but i'm not too sure.

The freezing also happened with Vista on my previous installation, but then
it seemed to stop doing it after some time. Perhaps i just have to wait it
out...

James

James;497078 Wrote:
> Thanks for your reply.
>
> I did as you suggested, and ran startup repair. It scanned for a few
> seconds, and didnt find any problems - but it said that if i had any
> devices
> plugged in (camera, or mp3 player etc.) that i should take them out and
> restart.
>
> I have neither plugged into my computer on startup. But i do leave my
> Wireless Internet plugged in its usb port, perhaps that is a reason for
> Windows periodically freezing...but i'm not too sure.
>
> The freezing also happened with Vista on my previous installation, but
> then
> it seemed to stop doing it after some time. Perhaps i just have to wait
> it
> out...
>
> James

James,

You may have got lucky and got some update that fixed it for you in the
Event Viewer to see if anything stands out in the log. Type "eventvwr"
(no quotes) in the white line (Start Search) area of the Start Menu and
press Enter. This should help lead you to what the problem is.

Shawn

--
brink

*Please post feedback to help others.*
Rick Rogers

Re: Vista randomly freezing on Startup
Hi James,

I've also seen certain USB printers cause this behavior, might want to try
disconnecting it if this applies to you.

--
Best of Luck,

http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
Windows help - www.rickrogers.org

"James" <James@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Thanks for your reply.
>
> I did as you suggested, and ran startup repair. It scanned for a few
> seconds, and didnt find any problems - but it said that if i had any
> devices
> plugged in (camera, or mp3 player etc.) that i should take them out and
> restart.
>
> I have neither plugged into my computer on startup. But i do leave my
> Wireless Internet plugged in its usb port, perhaps that is a reason for
> Windows periodically freezing...but i'm not too sure.
>
> The freezing also happened with Vista on my previous installation, but
> then
> it seemed to stop doing it after some time. Perhaps i just have to wait it
> out...
>
> James
>
> "brink" wrote:
>

>> James;496578 Wrote:
>> > Sometimes when my computer is restarted or booted up, my computer will
>> > freeze. But it always freezes at a specific moment in the startup
>> > proceedure:
>> > On the black screen with the Windows logo, and the green progression
>> > bar
>> > that circles round and round (Just before the password entry screen).
>> >
>> > Normally it freezes after about several seconds on this screen - the
>> > green
>> > bar just stops, and my computer makes no further noise, but for the
>> > fan.
>> >
>> > It's soo anoying, as i have to restart again, with the random
>> > possibility of
>> > it freezing again the next time. But its strange as it only sometimes
>> > happens, or happens 3 times in a row.
>> >
>> > I would be greatful for any suggestions.
>> >
>> > Im currently running Windows Vista Home Premium, with soem of these
>> > specs:
>> > Intel Due Core 6600 2.4Ghz
>> > 2046 RAM
>> > NVidia GeForce 7900 GS SLI

>> Hi James,
>>
>> You might try doing a Startup Repair to see if it will fix your
>> problem. This tutorial will show you how.
>>
>> http://www.vistax64.com/tutorials/91...up-repair.html
>>
>> Shawn
>>

>> --
>> brink
>>
>> *There are no dumb questions, just the people that do not ask them.*
>> WWW.VISTAX64.COM (\"HTTP://WWW.VISTAX64.COM\")
>> *Please post feedback to help others.*

James

Re: Vista randomly freezing on Startup
Thanks for your help Shawn and Rick.

Yes, I think it has something to do with what I have plugged into my
computer at startup.
Upon turning on my computer just now, the freeze happened. Thus, when I read
your replies and ran Event Viewer, there were 4 errors logged, in and around
the time that I had started up my computer. They read in the Summary as
follows under the Error subcategory:

Event ID: 6
Source: ACPI

And when expanded to see all the instances, under the General Tab:

IRQARB: ACPI BIOS does not contain an IRQ for the device in PCI slot 7,
function 0.

I guess I need to find out which usb is 'in the wrong' and make sure it is
unplugged upon startup? Or is there another solution to this?

Many thanks.

James

James;500964 Wrote:
> Thanks for your help Shawn and Rick.
>
> Yes, I think it has something to do with what I have plugged into my
> computer at startup.
> Upon turning on my computer just now, the freeze happened. Thus, when I
> read
> your replies and ran Event Viewer, there were 4 errors logged, in and
> around
> the time that I had started up my computer. They read in the Summary as
> follows under the Error subcategory:
>
> Event ID: 6
> Source: ACPI
>
> And when expanded to see all the instances, under the General Tab:
>
> IRQARB: ACPI BIOS does not contain an IRQ for the device in PCI slot 7,
> function 0.
>
> I guess I need to find out which usb is 'in the wrong' and make sure it
> is
> unplugged upon startup? Or is there another solution to this?
>
> Many thanks.
>
> James

James,

Test the USB devices out by unplugging them one at a time and startup.
When you find the culprit, see if there are any newer drivers for it
that may fix the problem. If not, just make sure it stays unplugged for
a startup.

Shawn

--
brink

*Please post feedback to help others.*
Qatsi

Re: Vista randomly freezing on Startup

I had exactly the same problem. Because of another more urgent problem I
had ('Thread'
(http://www.vistax64.com/vista-hardwa...m-upgrade.html))
I had the BIOS updated. That seem to have solved both my problems
because my computer hasn't frozen on startup since.

My motherboard: Asus P5N32-SLI Premium

--
Qatsi