Size of drives

Seafarer

Size of drives
Hi
Bought a new Dell with Vista basic on it.Problem I have is that the C drive
is classed as recovery[whatever that is] and is only 10Gb in size,the D
drive is classed as OS and is 138Gb in size.
Every time I try to load or download a program I am informed that C drive is
running short of memory and to uninstall programmes.
As far as I can see there is not much I can remove[with my limited
knowledge] better if I can increase the size of the C drive.
Anyone help?if so please treat it as if I am a beginner in other words as a
silver surfer I soon get confused.
Thanks if you can or point me to the NG that can.Cheers

PaulB

RE: Size of drives
When you download or install a program tell it to install on the d: drive.
--
Paul

"Seafarer" wrote:

> Hi
> Bought a new Dell with Vista basic on it.Problem I have is that the C drive
> is classed as recovery[whatever that is] and is only 10Gb in size,the D
> drive is classed as OS and is 138Gb in size.
> Every time I try to load or download a program I am informed that C drive is
> running short of memory and to uninstall programmes.
> As far as I can see there is not much I can remove[with my limited
> knowledge] better if I can increase the size of the C drive.
> Anyone help?if so please treat it as if I am a beginner in other words as a
> silver surfer I soon get confused.
> Thanks if you can or point me to the NG that can.Cheers

AJR

Re: Size of drives
The recovery partition , in every case I know, is designated as the "D"
drive - seems like a foul-up in your case - PaulB's advice is applicable.

Most computers now "arrive" with a restore partition - presence verified by
the "Hit F11 key to restore(or something similiar)".. It is usually the last
resort to "fix" a crash - however it returns the computer to the original
state when new.

Information should be provided with your documentation on, if you prefer, to
copy the restore partition to removeable media and deleting the partition.
Deleting the partition via Explorer may not be possible and would not remove
the MBR modification (Hit F11....).