Internal Beeping

Mike B

Internal Beeping
About a week ago my laptop began making a beeping sound, kind of like when
you take a hearing test. It is not very loud, and I cannot hear it when I use
headphones. At first I did not pay any attention to it, but recently I ran a
System Health report and it said that "The Security Center reports that there
is no anti-virus product actively protecting this system. The Security Center
has reported that on-access virus scanning is disabled. Either on-access
scanning is disabled, or the anti-virus application is not recognized." Up
until now, I have had no problem with my anti-virus. I do not know if these
are related or two different problems. I have a Dell XPS M1210 with Windows
Vista Premium. Any help will be greatly appreciated. Thank You.
Rick Rogers

Re: Internal Beeping
Hi Mike,

The beeping is probably from the tower itself. Precisely what the beep means
depends on the hardware, generally there is a code manual that would apply
to the system. Check with Dell support on the meaning of them, but usually
it means there is a hardware issue. Most times it's video or memory, but
there are other causes.

As to the security center, I doubt it's related. More likely that some
update to your application made it unrecognizable. Ensure that it actually
is running, then tell the security center that you are monitoring it.

--
Best of Luck,

http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
Windows help - www.rickrogers.org

"Mike B" <Mike B@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> About a week ago my laptop began making a beeping sound, kind of like when
> you take a hearing test. It is not very loud, and I cannot hear it when I
> use
> headphones. At first I did not pay any attention to it, but recently I ran
> System Health report and it said that "The Security Center reports that
> there
> is no anti-virus product actively protecting this system. The Security
> Center
> has reported that on-access virus scanning is disabled. Either on-access
> scanning is disabled, or the anti-virus application is not recognized." Up
> until now, I have had no problem with my anti-virus. I do not know if
> these
> are related or two different problems. I have a Dell XPS M1210 with
> Windows
> Vista Premium. Any help will be greatly appreciated. Thank You.

Kevin Weaver

Re: Internal Beeping
"Mike B" <Mike B@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> About a week ago my laptop began making a beeping sound, kind of like when
> you take a hearing test. It is not very loud, and I cannot hear it when I
> use
> headphones. At first I did not pay any attention to it, but recently I ran
> System Health report and it said that "The Security Center reports that
> there
> is no anti-virus product actively protecting this system. The Security
> Center
> has reported that on-access virus scanning is disabled. Either on-access
> scanning is disabled, or the anti-virus application is not recognized." Up
> until now, I have had no problem with my anti-virus. I do not know if
> these
> are related or two different problems. I have a Dell XPS M1210 with
> Windows
> Vista Premium. Any help will be greatly appreciated. Thank You.

Is it doing this on startup or running ?

If startup, It's bios post beeps. Which need to be figured out as to what
the problem is. If it's running then the app could be using the beep sound
as the sound alert.

I've never heard of a bios giving beeps during a running of the machine.
There just for post codes.

Rick Rogers

Re: Internal Beeping
Continual beeps from the motherboard while running can indicate fan failure,
failing ram, misaligned add-on cards, or an improperly seated cpu among
other things.

--

news:aZQUi.64174$YL5.63457@newssvr29.news.prodigy. net...