defragging

Symp EL

defragging
When I defrag my comp should I do nothing else while defrag is running/

--

-Symp EL

David

Re: defragging
Symp EL wrote:
> When I defrag my comp should I do nothing else while defrag is running/

Right. Do NOT eat, watch tv, answer the phone, talk to the family, or
sneeze, while Vista takes its usual 2 days to do a defrag. sigh... or
download Auslogics defrag and use it instead of Vista's defrag

Dave
Iain

Re: defragging
David wrote:
> Symp EL wrote:
>> When I defrag my comp should I do nothing else while defrag is running/
>>

> Right. Do NOT eat, watch tv, answer the phone, talk to the family, or
> sneeze, while Vista takes its usual 2 days to do a defrag. sigh... or
> download Auslogics defrag and use it instead of Vista's defrag
>
> Dave

Auslogic defrag seems like the right programme for me. I visited their
website last night for the first time.

Problem is, I've never heard of this company before and their update
history page of defrag programme contain no dates.

How long has this application been out? Should I take a chance and
install it or use another non-MS app for this task?
David

Re: defragging
Iain wrote:
> David wrote:
>> Symp EL wrote:
>>> When I defrag my comp should I do nothing else while defrag is running/
>>>

>> Right. Do NOT eat, watch tv, answer the phone, talk to the family,
>> or sneeze, while Vista takes its usual 2 days to do a defrag.
>> sigh... or download Auslogics defrag and use it instead of Vista's
>> defrag
>>
>> Dave

> Auslogic defrag seems like the right programme for me. I visited their
> website last night for the first time.
>
> Problem is, I've never heard of this company before and their update
> history page of defrag programme contain no dates.
>
> How long has this application been out? Should I take a chance and
> install it or use another non-MS app for this task?

I dont know when it first was offered as a download, but I've used it on
3 machines (2 vista) and it has not blown up any of them. It is
very, very fast. I used it after hearing good things about it. u might
do a bit of Googling to assure you that it is safe.

dave
AJR

Re: defragging
Getting back to your original question - Vista's defrag is "low-level" - you
can be doing other things.

"Symp EL" <no.spam@for.me> wrote in message
> When I defrag my comp should I do nothing else while defrag is running/
>
> --
>
> -Symp EL

Rick Rogers

Re: defragging
Hi,

Do whatever you like. In Vista, defrag runs as a low level background
service that does its work when you're not using the machine. Unlike older
versions of the defrag utility, use of the utility does not interfere with
normal operations, nor does it need you to stop doing what you do with your
system. Now of course, if you really want to, you can use a different
program that lets you watch pretty blocks move around while you don't use
your machine, waiting endlessly until it finishes so that you can actually
do something, but that's your choice.

--
Best of Luck,

http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
Windows help - www.rickrogers.org

"Symp EL" <no.spam@for.me> wrote in message
> When I defrag my comp should I do nothing else while defrag is running/
>
> --
>
> -Symp EL

David

Re: defragging

> . Now of course, if you really want to, you can use a different
> program that lets you watch pretty blocks move around while you don't
> use your machine, waiting endlessly until it finishes so that you can
> actually do something, but that's your choice.

I wouldnt characterize Auslogics defragging as an "endless" operation.
It is quite fast and you don't have to twiddle your thumbs while it is
running.

dave
Rick Rogers

Re: defragging
My point was that many use a third party defrag program so that they can
"see" what is happening, not because the program is better. To me, that's
pointless. I want to use my systems, not watch them defrag. Plus, for the
vast majority, defragging's affect on performance is way overrated.

--

"David" <david@invalid.com> wrote in message
news:MsmdnQqHGYti977anZ2dnUVZ_hjinZ2d@comcast.com. ..

>> . Now of course, if you really want to, you can use a different program
>> that lets you watch pretty blocks move around while you don't use your
>> machine, waiting endlessly until it finishes so that you can actually do
>> something, but that's your choice.
>>

> I wouldnt characterize Auslogics defragging as an "endless" operation. It
> is quite fast and you don't have to twiddle your thumbs while it is
> running.
>

> dave

David

Re: defragging
Rick Rogers wrote:
> My point was that many use a third party defrag program so that they
> can "see" what is happening, not because the program is better. To me,
> that's pointless. I want to use my systems, not watch them defrag.
> Plus, for the vast majority, defragging's affect on performance is way
> overrated.

what a stupid comment! Just how did u arrive at the bizarre notion that
anyone using a 3rd party defragger does so just to watch it run? Prove
your point with a cite. You stretch the bounds of being BS artist. A
heavily fragmented drive does impact performance while one barely
fragmented shouldn't make any noticeable difference to the user.

Dave
Rick Rogers

Re: defragging
Hi David,

You're misinterpreting the statement. There are plenty of third party
defraggers that work better, and there's nothing wrong with recommending or
using one. The point of my statement is that recommending using one simply
because a user wants to see a graphical representation of it is silly. Does
anyone really want to sit and watch blocks move instead of using the
machine?

Most casual users (email, surfing, and maybe the family photos or occasional
game) will never experience a heavily fragmented drive, and the improvement
they may gain from any defragging utility will be marginal at best. Too
often it's recommended to improve performance when the real cause of poor
performance is ten tons of background process that they've allowed into the
startup axis.

--

news:EMSdnXZtDeFaXbnanZ2dnUVZ_qCunZ2d@comcast.com. ..