IE redirects me to another web page

Susan

IE redirects me to another web page
When I am on ebay website after doing a search, IE 7.0 redirects me without
clicking on anything to this website:
http://ad.yieldmanager.com/st%3Fad_type. Also, I have noticed that from the
start button in Windows Vista, I now have a different screen if I am
searching for a file on my pc. Please help.
--
Thanks, Susan
Malke

Re: IE redirects me to another web page
Susan wrote:
> When I am on ebay website after doing a search, IE 7.0 redirects me without
> clicking on anything to this website:
> http://ad.yieldmanager.com/st%3Fad_type. Also, I have noticed that from the
> start button in Windows Vista, I now have a different screen if I am
> searching for a file on my pc. Please help.

Your computer is infected with malware. A quick Google for
"ad.yieldmanager.xxx" (substitution made so no one click on this) shows
that this malware is often connected with WinFixer, which gives you at
least one Vundo trojan variant.

Do the preparatory steps here:

Then do the specific removal steps here:
http://www.elephantboycomputers.com/page2.html#Winfixer - Winfixer

You can also check to see if there are targeted removal steps for your
malware here:
Bleeping Computer removal how-to's -

When all else fails, run HijackThis and post your log in one of the
specialty forums listed at the first link above (not here, please).

Not all tools used will work in Vista and you will need to run them
elevated. Since Vista is so new, it will be a while before removal
techniques and tools are developed. If you are unable to remove the
infection by following the general steps, register at one of the
HijackThis forums as suggested.

Standard caveat: If the procedures look too complex - and there is no
shame in admitting this isn't your cup of tea - take the machine to a
professional computer repair shop (not your local version of
BigComputerStore/GeekSquad). Please be aware that not all local shops
are skilled at removing malware and even if they are, your computer may
be so infested that Windows will need to be clean-installed. Have all
your data backed up before you take the machine into a shop.

Malke
--
Elephant Boy Computers
www.elephantboycomputers.com
Kevin Weaver

> Susan wrote:
>> When I am on ebay website after doing a search, IE 7.0 redirects me
>> without clicking on anything to this website:
>> http://ad.yieldmanager.com/st%3Fad_type. Also, I have noticed that from
>> the start button in Windows Vista, I now have a different screen if I am
>> searching for a file on my pc. Please help.

> Your computer is infected with malware. A quick Google for
> "ad.yieldmanager.xxx" (substitution made so no one click on this) shows
> that this malware is often connected with WinFixer, which gives you at
> least one Vundo trojan variant.
>
> Do the preparatory steps here:
>
> Then do the specific removal steps here:
> http://www.elephantboycomputers.com/page2.html#Winfixer - Winfixer
>
> You can also check to see if there are targeted removal steps for your
> malware here:
> Bleeping Computer removal how-to's -
> http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/forum55.html
>
> When all else fails, run HijackThis and post your log in one of the
> specialty forums listed at the first link above (not here, please).
>
> Not all tools used will work in Vista and you will need to run them
> elevated. Since Vista is so new, it will be a while before removal
> techniques and tools are developed. If you are unable to remove the
> infection by following the general steps, register at one of the
> HijackThis forums as suggested.
>
> Standard caveat: If the procedures look too complex - and there is no
> shame in admitting this isn't your cup of tea - take the machine to a
> professional computer repair shop (not your local version of
> BigComputerStore/GeekSquad). Please be aware that not all local shops are
> skilled at removing malware and even if they are, your computer may be so
> infested that Windows will need to be clean-installed. Have all your data
> backed up before you take the machine into a shop.
>

> Malke
> --
> Elephant Boy Computers
> www.elephantboycomputers.com
> "Don't Panic!"
> MS-MVP Windows - Shell/User

Now I've seen everything. Hmm, A computer shop owner telling others not to
go to types like bestbuy, circuitcity, etc.
I wonder why ?

If the user takes it there and the problem is not fixed, They don't pay.
Simple as that.

In fact, I would trust a store such as them then as to a local store hole in
the wall that talks trash about other repair stores.

Kevin Weaver wrote:

> Now I've seen everything. Hmm, A computer shop owner telling others not
> to go to types like bestbuy, circuitcity, etc.
> I wonder why ?
>
> If the user takes it there and the problem is not fixed, They don't pay.
> Simple as that.
>
> In fact, I would trust a store such as them then as to a local store
> hole in the wall that talks trash about other repair stores.

You go right ahead and take your machine to the GeekSquad then. You
might want to do a little research on them first, though. Start by
reading some of the posts on www.consumerist.com.

My opinion about BestBuy's GeekSquad and CompUSA is based on real-life
experience with them and seeing what they've done to the machines
brought to me afterwards.

I stand by what I said and if you want to think it's "talking trash",
then fine. You should definitely buy your next computer from BestBuy,
too. Don't forget to pay the extra money for restore disks that they'll
tell you can't be obtained anywhere else, too.

*plonk*

Malke
--
Elephant Boy Computers

> Kevin Weaver wrote:
>

>> Now I've seen everything. Hmm, A computer shop owner telling others not
>> to go to types like bestbuy, circuitcity, etc.
>> I wonder why ?
>>
>> If the user takes it there and the problem is not fixed, They don't pay.
>> Simple as that.
>>
>> In fact, I would trust a store such as them then as to a local store hole
>> in the wall that talks trash about other repair stores.

> You go right ahead and take your machine to the GeekSquad then. You might
> want to do a little research on them first, though. Start by reading some
> of the posts on www.consumerist.com.
>
> My opinion about BestBuy's GeekSquad and CompUSA is based on real-life
> experience with them and seeing what they've done to the machines brought
> to me afterwards.
>
> I stand by what I said and if you want to think it's "talking trash", then
> fine. You should definitely buy your next computer from BestBuy, too.
> Don't forget to pay the extra money for restore disks that they'll tell
> you can't be obtained anywhere else, too.
>
> *plonk*
>

> Malke
> --
> Elephant Boy Computers
> www.elephantboycomputers.com
> "Don't Panic!"
> MS-MVP Windows - Shell/User

*Plonk* your ass too.

I bought a Laptop at bestbuy. Got the restore disc's from Sony. If a person
does not know how to call the mfg to get them then that's not a BestBuy
problem. As for myself, I much rather buy a company computer from BestBuy
then some hole in the wall computer repair shop that is here today and gone
next week type.

I don't work for BestBuy, CC Or anyone for that matter. But I could say the
same thing for other repair shops as well.
I've seen systems that other's have fixed. Mistakes were and are made. I
just don't agree when a private repair guy talk's smack about other fix it
places and always point's the blame on them. I've seen lot's of mistakes
made in repairs to computers from such places. I advise them to return it
and get what that paid for. A working computer.

Go ahead and reply. Then that way all will see that you did not plonk me.
But I will add you to my *Plonk* list. Then you can get the last word in.