Cannot get to system restore points after doing a system recovery

Roderunr

Cannot get to system restore points after doing a system recovery
Had to re-install Vista Premium. Created several system restore points and
several backups which were stored on a pyhsical HARD DRIVE ( "E) OTHER THAN
"C". After completing the system re-install neither restore from a backup or
a system restore created from the restore points worked. The system did not
recognize that there were backups and restore points on the "E" drive.

It doesn't make sense to me since a "system crash" is when you would want
those restores to work. Thanks for any help!
--
KRF
Hans-Georg Michna

Re: Cannot get to system restore points after doing a system recovery
On Thu, 25 Oct 2007 09:19:01 -0700, Roderunr wrote:

>Had to re-install Vista Premium. Created several system restore points and
>several backups which were stored on a pyhsical HARD DRIVE ( "E) OTHER THAN
>"C". After completing the system re-install neither restore from a backup or
>a system restore created from the restore points worked. The system did not
>recognize that there were backups and restore points on the "E" drive.
>
>It doesn't make sense to me since a "system crash" is when you would want
>those restores to work. Thanks for any help!

I'm not entirely sure, but I believe that all versions of
Windows that have System Restore always put the restore points
for one hard disk on that same hard disk.

Hans-Georg
--
No mail, please.
GTS

Re: Cannot get to system restore points after doing a system recovery
System Restore points cannot be used outside the original Windows
installation. What you are trying to with them isn't possible. Backups are
a different story, but you don't give enough information to get any
meaningful help. What kind of backup? Made with what program? Are the
backup files visible on the other drive?
--

"Roderunr" <Roderunr@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Had to re-install Vista Premium. Created several system restore points
> and
> several backups which were stored on a pyhsical HARD DRIVE ( "E) OTHER
> THAN
> "C". After completing the system re-install neither restore from a backup
> or
> a system restore created from the restore points worked. The system did
> not
> recognize that there were backups and restore points on the "E" drive.
>
> It doesn't make sense to me since a "system crash" is when you would want
> those restores to work. Thanks for any help!
> --
> KRF

Rick Rogers

Re: Cannot get to system restore points after doing a system recovery
Hi,

> It doesn't make sense to me since a "system crash" is when you would want
> those restores to work.

Then you should not have reinstalled and instead done a system restore, even
if it were from the recovery environment. When you reinstalled, the
installation created a new baseline with new security descriptors. Any
restore points from the old one could not possibly work. You should be able
to recover any data saved via the pc backup function, but not anything from
old restore points (which, by the way, cannot and should not be moved from
the volume they were created from).

--
Best of Luck,

http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/