Re: Missing Task Bar and Start Menu

Robert Aldwinckle

Re: Missing Task Bar and Start Menu
(cross-post added to Vista Perf & Maint)
"michiko" <michiko@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
newsF19B6D0-FEC2-4E97-B0CE-374E17631FA0@microsoft.com...
>I can't use windows normally.i have to use Task Manager just to run programs
> or access files.what to do?

That's one way to use it. However in case your explore.exe isn't always
going to fail when starting it would be a good idea to try starting it first. ; )

> my desktop is just blank yellow when i start windows.
> the start menu and taskbar is not displayed.

Exactly. If your background color is yellow and TM's Processes tab
doesn't show explorer.exe running that explains your symptoms.

> when i right click nothing happens.

Right click what? The background? I'm not sure if that would get
to Display Properties or not. I don't use Vista.

> i dont know if im
> in the safe mode.it started when windows cant shut down normally
> so i just have to turn off my laptop.im in windows vista home basic.

You could use Task Manager to do a shutdown too.
That would be better than just powering off the machine.

> i have already
> scanned my computer for spyware or viruses but none was detected.im planning
> to reformat my computer but i dont know how.please help..thanks!

This isn't the right newsgroup for that. Try Performance and Maintenance
instead? Cross-posting for your convenience. Click on the link in this reply's
header to switch newsgroups.

Good luck

Robert
---

> --
> ichi29
>

> "Robert Aldwinckle" wrote:
>
>> "ShermanJ" <ShermanJ@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> > The Task Bar and Start Menu has disappeared from my computer, for all users.
>> >
>> > Please tell me how to get it back.
>> >
>> > My OS is Windows XP Professional on a Dell Dimension 4600 desktop.
>> >
>> > Thanks

>> That could be a symptom that explorer.exe has gone.
>> You can start it again using Task Manager's File menu.
>> E.g. press Ctrl-Alt-Delete to get a dialog to start it.
>>

>> Good luck
>>
>> Robert Aldwinckle
>> ---

michiko

Re: Missing Task Bar and Start Menu
windows explorer doesnt work too even control panel so i cant run programs
under it. i right click the background because im trying to access the
display properties.right now im planning to save my files to a cd then
reformat but i would like to know other ways to repair the problem...please
help..
--
ichi29

"Robert Aldwinckle" wrote:

> (cross-post added to Vista Perf & Maint)
> "michiko" <michiko@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> newsF19B6D0-FEC2-4E97-B0CE-374E17631FA0@microsoft.com...
> >I can't use windows normally.i have to use Task Manager just to run programs
> > or access files.what to do?

> That's one way to use it. However in case your explore.exe isn't always
> going to fail when starting it would be a good idea to try starting it first. ; )
>

> > my desktop is just blank yellow when i start windows.
> > the start menu and taskbar is not displayed.

> Exactly. If your background color is yellow and TM's Processes tab
> doesn't show explorer.exe running that explains your symptoms.
>

> > when i right click nothing happens.

> Right click what? The background? I'm not sure if that would get
> to Display Properties or not. I don't use Vista.
>

> > i dont know if im
> > in the safe mode.it started when windows cant shut down normally
> > so i just have to turn off my laptop.im in windows vista home basic.

> You could use Task Manager to do a shutdown too.
> That would be better than just powering off the machine.
>

> > i have already
> > scanned my computer for spyware or viruses but none was detected.im planning
> > to reformat my computer but i dont know how.please help..thanks!

> This isn't the right newsgroup for that. Try Performance and Maintenance
> instead? Cross-posting for your convenience. Click on the link in this reply's
> header to switch newsgroups.
>

> Good luck
>
> Robert
> ---
>

> > --
> > ichi29
> >

> > "Robert Aldwinckle" wrote:
> >
> >> "ShermanJ" <ShermanJ@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

> >> That could be a symptom that explorer.exe has gone.
> >> You can start it again using Task Manager's File menu.
> >> E.g. press Ctrl-Alt-Delete to get a dialog to start it.
> >>

> >> Good luck
> >>
> >> Robert Aldwinckle
> >> ---

Robert Aldwinckle

> windows explorer doesnt work too even control panel so i cant run programs
> under it. i right click the background because im trying to access the
> display properties.right now im planning to save my files to a cd then
> reformat but i would like to know other ways to repair the problem...please
> help..

You are not giving us a clear picture of what you are doing and seeing.
Did you get into Task Manager? (E.g. perhaps after pressing Ctrl-Alt-Delete?)
Are you trying to start explorer.exe from there?
Are you trying to start control.exe from there?

And do you get a menu when you right-click the Desktop or not?
(Telling us why you are trying to do it doesn't really help describe
your symptoms.)

Remember, your words have to substitute for what our eyes might notice.

Robert
---

> --
> ichi29
>

> "Robert Aldwinckle" wrote:
>
>> (cross-post added to Vista Perf & Maint)
>> "michiko" <michiko@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> newsF19B6D0-FEC2-4E97-B0CE-374E17631FA0@microsoft.com...
>> >I can't use windows normally.i have to use Task Manager just to run programs
>> > or access files.what to do?

>> That's one way to use it. However in case your explore.exe isn't always
>> going to fail when starting it would be a good idea to try starting it first. ; )
>>

>> > my desktop is just blank yellow when i start windows.
>> > the start menu and taskbar is not displayed.

>> Exactly. If your background color is yellow and TM's Processes tab
>> doesn't show explorer.exe running that explains your symptoms.
>>

>> > when i right click nothing happens.

>> Right click what? The background? I'm not sure if that would get
>> to Display Properties or not. I don't use Vista.
>>

>> > i dont know if im
>> > in the safe mode.it started when windows cant shut down normally
>> > so i just have to turn off my laptop.im in windows vista home basic.

>> You could use Task Manager to do a shutdown too.
>> That would be better than just powering off the machine.
>>

>> > i have already
>> > scanned my computer for spyware or viruses but none was detected.im planning
>> > to reformat my computer but i dont know how.please help..thanks!

>> This isn't the right newsgroup for that. Try Performance and Maintenance
>> instead? Cross-posting for your convenience. Click on the link in this reply's
>> header to switch newsgroups.
>>

>> Good luck
>>
>> Robert
>> ---
>>

>> > --
>> > ichi29

michiko

Re: Missing Task Bar and Start Menu
i can access programs,files only through task manager,i tried running
explorer.exe,but the taskbar just appeared for a sec and then disappeared
again,i tried it for a couple of times,whenever i try opening the control
panel,(even control.exe),only the frame shows,and just like taskbar,it
appears for a sec and disppeared again,when i right click at the
desktop,nothing happens,..

--
ichi29

"Robert Aldwinckle" wrote:

> "michiko" <michiko@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > windows explorer doesnt work too even control panel so i cant run programs
> > under it. i right click the background because im trying to access the
> > display properties.right now im planning to save my files to a cd then
> > reformat but i would like to know other ways to repair the problem...please
> > help..

> You are not giving us a clear picture of what you are doing and seeing.
> Did you get into Task Manager? (E.g. perhaps after pressing Ctrl-Alt-Delete?)
> Are you trying to start explorer.exe from there?
> Are you trying to start control.exe from there?
>
> And do you get a menu when you right-click the Desktop or not?
> (Telling us why you are trying to do it doesn't really help describe
> your symptoms.)
>
> Remember, your words have to substitute for what our eyes might notice.
>

> Robert
> ---
>

> > --
> > ichi29
> >

> > "Robert Aldwinckle" wrote:
> >
> >> (cross-post added to Vista Perf & Maint)
> >> "michiko" <michiko@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >> newsF19B6D0-FEC2-4E97-B0CE-374E17631FA0@microsoft.com...
> >>

> >> That's one way to use it. However in case your explore.exe isn't always
> >> going to fail when starting it would be a good idea to try starting it first. ; )

> >> Exactly. If your background color is yellow and TM's Processes tab
> >> doesn't show explorer.exe running that explains your symptoms.

> >> Right click what? The background? I'm not sure if that would get
> >> to Display Properties or not. I don't use Vista.

> >> You could use Task Manager to do a shutdown too.
> >> That would be better than just powering off the machine.

> >> This isn't the right newsgroup for that. Try Performance and Maintenance
> >> instead? Cross-posting for your convenience. Click on the link in this reply's
> >> header to switch newsgroups.
> >>

> >> Good luck
> >>
> >> Robert
> >> ---

Robert Aldwinckle

>i can access programs,files only through task manager,i tried running
> explorer.exe,but the taskbar just appeared for a sec and then disappeared
> again,i tried it for a couple of times,whenever i try opening the control
> panel,(even control.exe),only the frame shows,and just like taskbar,it
> appears for a sec and disppeared again,when i right click at the
> desktop,nothing happens,..

That's much better description. Thank you.

Have you tried doing a safe mode boot? Then, if necessary, try the same
Task Manager driven procedures with it. Also, instead of opening the Control
Panel you could try opening the specific .cpl file that you would be using
once you had the CP open. E.g. you could open Add/Remove Programs
by starting control appwiz.cpl or get into Device Manger via control sysdm.cpl

Good luck

Robert
---

> --
> ichi29
>

> "Robert Aldwinckle" wrote:
>
>> "michiko" <michiko@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> > windows explorer doesnt work too even control panel so i cant run programs
>> > under it. i right click the background because im trying to access the
>> > display properties.right now im planning to save my files to a cd then
>> > reformat but i would like to know other ways to repair the problem...please
>> > help..

>> You are not giving us a clear picture of what you are doing and seeing.
>> Did you get into Task Manager? (E.g. perhaps after pressing Ctrl-Alt-Delete?)
>> Are you trying to start explorer.exe from there?
>> Are you trying to start control.exe from there?
>>
>> And do you get a menu when you right-click the Desktop or not?
>> (Telling us why you are trying to do it doesn't really help describe
>> your symptoms.)
>>
>> Remember, your words have to substitute for what our eyes might notice.
>>

>> Robert
>> ---
>>

>> > --
>> > ichi29

michiko

Re: Missing Task Bar and Start Menu
hello!
my desktop came back,,i did the start up repair then system restore,i chose
the proper restore point,,then ran the explorer.exe through task manager,it
solved my problem,,thanks for your time!
--
ichi29