Recovery Disks

Terry

Recovery Disks
I have a Gateway computer running factory installed Vista Home Premium. I
finally decided to make a set of recovery disks, since I have been stranded
with a crashed system and no recovery disk, as the partitioned drive D used
for recovery had crashed also. The first attempt at doing this, by using
the Create a set of Recovery Disks failed for some reason, causing the new,
high quality DVD+R disk to be ruined and not usable because it said it was
already recorded on. (later I used the same disk to save files on)

So with another attempt at making a set of recovery disks, all seemed to be
going along well, until the job seemed to lock down. With no drive light to
show activity, I opened up Task Master and no activity was showing. It did
show that the job was running, but after a half an hour of waiting, it still
said it was running, but nothing looked to be recording, and I decided to
halt the job. All attempts to Cancel wouldn't work. Everything still
seemed frozen. I then stopped the job in Task Master, but then a window
popped up and said "Congratulations, you have created recovery disks and you
cannot create another set. You are only allowed one set." When I pulled
the disk from the drive, it only shows 1/4 burned. Looking at the content,
there are files for the OS there, but I do not know if everything is there.
How do I reset the program so I can do this again? Any time I call Gateway
for assistance they say that is a Microsoft problem and Microsoft says it's
Gateway's problem. What is the sense of having Warranty when nobody wants
to help us ignoramuses?

Malke

Re: Recovery Disks
Terry wrote:
> I have a Gateway computer running factory installed Vista Home Premium.
> I finally decided to make a set of recovery disks, since I have been
> stranded with a crashed system and no recovery disk, as the partitioned
> drive D used for recovery had crashed also. The first attempt at doing
> this, by using the Create a set of Recovery Disks failed for some
> reason, causing the new, high quality DVD+R disk to be ruined and not
> usable because it said it was already recorded on. (later I used the
> same disk to save files on)
>
> So with another attempt at making a set of recovery disks, all seemed to
> be going along well, until the job seemed to lock down. With no drive
> light to show activity, I opened up Task Master and no activity was
> showing. It did show that the job was running, but after a half an hour
> of waiting, it still said it was running, but nothing looked to be
> recording, and I decided to halt the job. All attempts to Cancel
> wouldn't work. Everything still seemed frozen. I then stopped the job
> in Task Master, but then a window popped up and said "Congratulations,
> you have created recovery disks and you cannot create another set. You
> are only allowed one set." When I pulled the disk from the drive, it
> only shows 1/4 burned. Looking at the content, there are files for the
> OS there, but I do not know if everything is there. How do I reset the
> program so I can do this again? Any time I call Gateway for assistance
> they say that is a Microsoft problem and Microsoft says it's Gateway's
> problem. What is the sense of having Warranty when nobody wants to help
> us ignoramuses?

It is not a question of nobody wanting to help you. You need to call
Gateway back and speak to a supervisor if necessary. You bought an OEM
machine and your support comes from the OEM (Gateway). Either their
hardware is faulty and/or their recovery disk creation software is
faulty. This has nothing to do with Microsoft. If you feel you aren't
getting good attention from Gateway, return the machine to where you
bought it for repair/replacement/credit.

Malke
--
Elephant Boy Computers
www.elephantboycomputers.com