Occaisonal Freezing

Kat

Occaisonal Freezing
I'm running Windows Vista on a laptop, and occaisonally it will just freeze
for seemingly no reason, so then I have to unplug and remove the battery to
turn it off then turn it on again. Is there a reason for this? Possibly
overheating, if so how can I counteract that? If you need any additional
information feel free to ask. Help is greatly appreciated in this matter,
thank you.
Rick Rogers

Re: Occaisonal Freezing
Hi,

Yes, overheating can cause that. So can hardware failure and bad video
drivers. When you pull the battery and reset it, does it sevntually freeze
again, only this time a shorter period? Have you updated video drivers at
all? How old is the system?

--
Best of Luck,

http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
Windows help - www.rickrogers.org

"Kat" <Kat@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> I'm running Windows Vista on a laptop, and occaisonally it will just
> freeze
> for seemingly no reason, so then I have to unplug and remove the battery
> turn it off then turn it on again. Is there a reason for this? Possibly
> overheating, if so how can I counteract that? If you need any additional
> information feel free to ask. Help is greatly appreciated in this matter,
> thank you.

Kat

Re: Occaisonal Freezing
When it freezes, it freezes permanently, or well I haven't had the patience
to let it sit and unfreeze. The video driver said it was updated when I go
into devices. The computer is quite young, I got it in April. Which is also
why it is concerning that it freezes for no reason sometimes...

"Rick Rogers" wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Yes, overheating can cause that. So can hardware failure and bad video
> drivers. When you pull the battery and reset it, does it sevntually freeze
> again, only this time a shorter period? Have you updated video drivers at
> all? How old is the system?
>
> --
> Best of Luck,

> http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
> Windows help - www.rickrogers.org
>
> "Kat" <Kat@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > I'm running Windows Vista on a laptop, and occaisonally it will just
> > freeze
> > for seemingly no reason, so then I have to unplug and remove the battery
> > turn it off then turn it on again. Is there a reason for this? Possibly
> > overheating, if so how can I counteract that? If you need any additional
> > information feel free to ask. Help is greatly appreciated in this matter,
> > thank you.

Malke

Re: Occaisonal Freezing
Kat wrote:
> When it freezes, it freezes permanently, or well I haven't had the patience
> to let it sit and unfreeze. The video driver said it was updated when I go
> into devices. The computer is quite young, I got it in April. Which is also
> why it is concerning that it freezes for no reason sometimes...

Time to exercise that warranty. As Rick said, this definitely sounds
like hardware issues. Don't wait.

Malke
--
Elephant Boy Computers
www.elephantboycomputers.com
patty r

Re: Occaisonal Freezing
I have a less than 1 month old computer..it has Vista..and it freezes up at
least once a day,the only fix I can do is to shut it off maunally..which I
hate doing..my daughter has 2 friends who happen to have the same problem,one
has a laptop(less than2 months old),and the other has a desktop..also brand
new.They have the same problem..can it be some sort of problem with the vista
thingy itself?? I cannot believe 3 of us have 3 different computers,,,and
have the exact same problems going on...anyone have any clues?? Thanks for
listening!
--
I hope I can find answers here..

"Malke" wrote:

> Kat wrote:
> > When it freezes, it freezes permanently, or well I haven't had the patience
> > to let it sit and unfreeze. The video driver said it was updated when I go
> > into devices. The computer is quite young, I got it in April. Which is also
> > why it is concerning that it freezes for no reason sometimes...

> Time to exercise that warranty. As Rick said, this definitely sounds
> like hardware issues. Don't wait.
>

> Malke
> --
> Elephant Boy Computers
> www.elephantboycomputers.com
> "Don't Panic!"
> MS-MVP Windows - Shell/User

Hillman

Re: Occaisonal Freezing
Hi Patty,

I have a desktop that I got built to my (rather generous) specifications
earlier this year which is having almost exactly the same problem. I'm
getting random freezes which stop everything working. The CPU and HDD temps
are all fine but it just stops working. I'm trying to run diagnostics, but
this is occurring more and more.

"patty r" wrote:

> I have a less than 1 month old computer..it has Vista..and it freezes up at
> least once a day,the only fix I can do is to shut it off maunally..which I
> hate doing..my daughter has 2 friends who happen to have the same problem,one
> has a laptop(less than2 months old),and the other has a desktop..also brand
> new.They have the same problem..can it be some sort of problem with the vista
> thingy itself?? I cannot believe 3 of us have 3 different computers,,,and
> have the exact same problems going on...anyone have any clues?? Thanks for
> listening!
> --
> I hope I can find answers here..
>

> "Malke" wrote:
>
> > Kat wrote:
> > > When it freezes, it freezes permanently, or well I haven't had the patience
> > > to let it sit and unfreeze. The video driver said it was updated when I go
> > > into devices. The computer is quite young, I got it in April. Which is also
> > > why it is concerning that it freezes for no reason sometimes...

> > Time to exercise that warranty. As Rick said, this definitely sounds
> > like hardware issues. Don't wait.
> >

> > Malke
> > --
> > Elephant Boy Computers
> > www.elephantboycomputers.com
> > "Don't Panic!"
> > MS-MVP Windows - Shell/User

Rick Rogers

Re: Occaisonal Freezing
Hi,

As mentioned, freezing is not usually software related but rather a problem
with the hardware. While it may seem unusual that the three of you have the
same problem, it doesn't change this. It is possible that perhaps the three
of you are all using a program similarly? What antivirus product are you all
using?

--

"patty r" <pattyr@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I have a less than 1 month old computer..it has Vista..and it freezes up at
> least once a day,the only fix I can do is to shut it off maunally..which I
> hate doing..my daughter has 2 friends who happen to have the same
> problem,one
> has a laptop(less than2 months old),and the other has a desktop..also
> brand
> new.They have the same problem..can it be some sort of problem with the
> vista
> thingy itself?? I cannot believe 3 of us have 3 different computers,,,and
> have the exact same problems going on...anyone have any clues?? Thanks for
> listening!
> --
> I hope I can find answers here..
>

> "Malke" wrote:
>
>> Kat wrote:
>> > When it freezes, it freezes permanently, or well I haven't had the
>> > patience
>> > to let it sit and unfreeze. The video driver said it was updated when I
>> > go
>> > into devices. The computer is quite young, I got it in April. Which is
>> > also
>> > why it is concerning that it freezes for no reason sometimes...

>> Time to exercise that warranty. As Rick said, this definitely sounds
>> like hardware issues. Don't wait.
>>

>> Malke
>> --
>> Elephant Boy Computers
>> www.elephantboycomputers.com
>> "Don't Panic!"
>> MS-MVP Windows - Shell/User

Olga

Re: Occaisonal Freezing
Rick,
I am also having occasional freezing problems, I just bought mine for
Christmas, and have had problems since the first day. Best Buy Geek Squad
installed "Webroot" Spysweeper and Trend Micro AntiVirus 2008 for me. My
problems only occur when we try to shut down, our quick lauch bar freezes and
you can't click anything on it, it won't let me shut down, I can click shut
down but it don't shut down. I have to shut down manually. Do you think
these products have a compatitibily problem with Vista? It's kinda
suspicious that all these freezing problems on all these different kinds of
computers all have Vista.

"Rick Rogers" wrote:

> Hi,
>
> As mentioned, freezing is not usually software related but rather a problem
> with the hardware. While it may seem unusual that the three of you have the
> same problem, it doesn't change this. It is possible that perhaps the three
> of you are all using a program similarly? What antivirus product are you all
> using?
>
> --
> Best of Luck,

> http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
> Windows help - www.rickrogers.org
>
> "patty r" <pattyr@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >I have a less than 1 month old computer..it has Vista..and it freezes up at
> > least once a day,the only fix I can do is to shut it off maunally..which I
> > hate doing..my daughter has 2 friends who happen to have the same
> > problem,one
> > has a laptop(less than2 months old),and the other has a desktop..also
> > brand
> > new.They have the same problem..can it be some sort of problem with the
> > vista
> > thingy itself?? I cannot believe 3 of us have 3 different computers,,,and
> > have the exact same problems going on...anyone have any clues?? Thanks for
> > listening!
> > --
> > I hope I can find answers here..

> >> Time to exercise that warranty. As Rick said, this definitely sounds
> >> like hardware issues. Don't wait.
> >>

> >> Malke
> >> --
> >> Elephant Boy Computers
> >> www.elephantboycomputers.com
> >> "Don't Panic!"
> >> MS-MVP Windows - Shell/User

Ray

Re: Occaisonal Freezing
I have a gateway laptop I bought in May 2007. Recently I incurred the same
issue. I was using and M-audo fast track (USB) box along with Smaart Live
and unplugged without the "Safe to Unplug" and I got the BSD and an exception
error. A week or so later I've been freezing up, when using any level of
resources. I've deleted any non-essential after market programs and I am
about to do a factory restore. I am almost sure all drivers for hardware are
up to date.

"Olga" wrote:

> Rick,
> I am also having occasional freezing problems, I just bought mine for
> Christmas, and have had problems since the first day. Best Buy Geek Squad
> installed "Webroot" Spysweeper and Trend Micro AntiVirus 2008 for me. My
> problems only occur when we try to shut down, our quick lauch bar freezes and
> you can't click anything on it, it won't let me shut down, I can click shut
> down but it don't shut down. I have to shut down manually. Do you think
> these products have a compatitibily problem with Vista? It's kinda
> suspicious that all these freezing problems on all these different kinds of
> computers all have Vista.
>
> "Rick Rogers" wrote:
>
> > Hi,
> >
> > As mentioned, freezing is not usually software related but rather a problem
> > with the hardware. While it may seem unusual that the three of you have the
> > same problem, it doesn't change this. It is possible that perhaps the three
> > of you are all using a program similarly? What antivirus product are you all
> > using?
> >
> > --
> > Best of Luck,

> > http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
> > Windows help - www.rickrogers.org
> > My thoughts http://rick-mvp.blogspot.com
> >
> > "patty r" <pattyr@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > >I have a less than 1 month old computer..it has Vista..and it freezes up at
> > > least once a day,the only fix I can do is to shut it off maunally..which I
> > > hate doing..my daughter has 2 friends who happen to have the same
> > > problem,one
> > > has a laptop(less than2 months old),and the other has a desktop..also
> > > brand
> > > new.They have the same problem..can it be some sort of problem with the
> > > vista
> > > thingy itself?? I cannot believe 3 of us have 3 different computers,,,and
> > > have the exact same problems going on...anyone have any clues?? Thanks for
> > > listening!
> > > --
> > > I hope I can find answers here..

jjtangye

Re: Occaisonal Freezing

I have a very similar problem. I just installed a fresh new 500 GB hard
drive, and installed Vista Premium Home X64. According to Microsoft, my
computer performance is ranking in a cool 4.0. (Meaning its pretty well
compliant)

I don't have any Antivirus software on yet at all, but Vista is
extremely slow. Even the beta versions weren't this slow on my
computer. Keep in mind I have NOTHING on my computer.

Programs are constantly not responding, especially internet explorer,
and even my Solitare. Please help!

Specs: AMD 64 3200
2GB of Ram
500GB hard drive (Sata)