Wish to eliminate a start-up application

Henri Monnier

Wish to eliminate a start-up application
After a recent death of my old machine I have upgraded to a new machine.
During the process of transferring, somehow I have ended up with a 'box' in
the upper left corner with "cancel" in it. It cannot be moved or deleted and
does nothing that I can see when it is 'clicked' on. Additionally there is a
task in the taskbar, that has the word "ZIP" (in red) and under it a blue
paperclip (on it's side). If you mouseover the taskbar item an "icon" comes
up with the word "Cancel" in it. Clicking on the taskbar item seems to have
no effect, except for closing the icon.

I have no idea where this came from, as it was not being displayed on the
old platform. I've run all items I can think of to discover what
application/process is spawning this, but cannot find anything. I see nothing
strange in the startup....

Any help in discovering how to rid myself of this pest will be appreciated...
--
Thanks,
Henri Monnier

Rick Rogers

Re: Wish to eliminate a start-up application
Hi,

Have you tried process explorer?
http://www.microsoft.com/technet/sys...sexplorer.mspx

Or HiJackThis?
http://www.spywareinfo.com/~merijn/programs.php

--
Best of Luck,

http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
Windows help - www.rickrogers.org

"Henri Monnier" <HenriMonnier@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> After a recent death of my old machine I have upgraded to a new machine.
> During the process of transferring, somehow I have ended up with a 'box'
> in
> the upper left corner with "cancel" in it. It cannot be moved or deleted
> and
> does nothing that I can see when it is 'clicked' on. Additionally there is
> task in the taskbar, that has the word "ZIP" (in red) and under it a blue
> paperclip (on it's side). If you mouseover the taskbar item an "icon"
> comes
> up with the word "Cancel" in it. Clicking on the taskbar item seems to
> have
> no effect, except for closing the icon.
>
> I have no idea where this came from, as it was not being displayed on the
> old platform. I've run all items I can think of to discover what
> application/process is spawning this, but cannot find anything. I see
> nothing
> strange in the startup....
>
> Any help in discovering how to rid myself of this pest will be
> appreciated...
> --
> Thanks,
> Henri Monnier
> htbx@comcast.net

majorattraction

RE: Wish to eliminate a start-up application
start -programs-window defender(windows defender will give you options to
cancel start up appl. see if its there)

"Henri Monnier" wrote:

> After a recent death of my old machine I have upgraded to a new machine.
> During the process of transferring, somehow I have ended up with a 'box' in
> the upper left corner with "cancel" in it. It cannot be moved or deleted and
> does nothing that I can see when it is 'clicked' on. Additionally there is a
> task in the taskbar, that has the word "ZIP" (in red) and under it a blue
> paperclip (on it's side). If you mouseover the taskbar item an "icon" comes
> up with the word "Cancel" in it. Clicking on the taskbar item seems to have
> no effect, except for closing the icon.
>
> I have no idea where this came from, as it was not being displayed on the
> old platform. I've run all items I can think of to discover what
> application/process is spawning this, but cannot find anything. I see nothing
> strange in the startup....
>
> Any help in discovering how to rid myself of this pest will be appreciated...
> --
> Thanks,
> Henri Monnier
> htbx@comcast.net

Henri Monnier

RE: Wish to eliminate a start-up application
Thanks to you both..... It was not in the Startup Section, but in the Running
Programs section. The taskbar item looks like it was started by PKZIP,
canceled it in Defender, the Icon in the upper left and task bar items
cleared. Rebooted to see if it came back, it did not (but it's in the
'running programs' again, but no Icon or task bar items????). Keeping my
fingers crossed.....
Thanks again...............
Henri Monnier