KB831374 is back again in Vista: CHKDSK corrupts hard disk

Paul Coddington

KB831374 is back again in Vista: CHKDSK corrupts hard disk

I'll post this in the hope someone at Microsoft forwards it to the right
people.

I have witnessed KB831374 "The CHKDSK utility incorrectly identifies and
deletes in-use security descriptors" in both Windows 2000 and XP, and I can
now confirm that this problem remains unfixed in Windows Vista Ultimate
Edition.

At least, a similar problem with exactly the same symptoms and messages is
being observed, although again the condition of having a large number of
files or a large MFT is not required to trigger the problem (I am suspecting,
based on past experience and circumstance, it may also be triggered by
Diskeeper defragging the MFT).

One should bear in mind "reset" is a synonym for "trash" in this article, as
the reset permissions are always invalid leading to all kinds of problems
(for example, Windows Installer goes crazy trying to automatically repair
applications which have files that the system can no longer read because the
permissions have been lost, etc.)

Once you encounter this bug, the only recourse is to reimage, so it is
fairly serious. If it happens between backup images and you miss it before a
good image is overwritten, your system is lost. Although it may
superficially function, an unknown number of random files will be unreadable,
with unpredictable consequences.

Note also that the files which are corrupted may also include the system
restore shadow copies, so automatic repair may also be out of the question
(observed).

Side Note: I have been unable to log this bug with Microsoft support, as the
people who answer the phone have difficulty speaking/understanding English
and cannot understand why this needs to be reported. Microsoft Australia
really needs to get their act together on this one, as lodging a support call
is very rarely successful.

click "I Agree" in the message pane.

http://windowshelp.microsoft.com/com...ce_maintenance