Hibernate won't power off...it' restarts!

deltrey

Hibernate won't power off...it' restarts!

Hoping someone can help me out here. I'm running 64bit Vista Ultimate on
my pc and it just will not power off when I click hibernate. Instead it
just reboots. I have the settings all set the same as another computer
in my house which powers down properly.

I would appreciate if anyone could help me out...starting to go a
little crazy over here

--
deltrey
Jonathan Yaniv- Windows Live Butterfly Expert

Re: Hibernate won't power off...it' restarts!
Um, click that little triangle thing, and click "Hibernate"

Their isnt any actual GUI button for Hibernate in Vista..

--
Thank you,

Have a nice day,

Jonathan Yaniv
Microsoft Windows LiveT Butterfly Expert

"deltrey" <deltrey.2ytdol@no-mx.forums.net> wrote in message

> Hoping someone can help me out here. I'm running 64bit Vista Ultimate on
> my pc and it just will not power off when I click hibernate. Instead it
> just reboots. I have the settings all set the same as another computer
> in my house which powers down properly.
>
> I would appreciate if anyone could help me out...starting to go a
> little crazy over here
>

> --
> deltrey

deltrey

Re: Hibernate won't power off...it' restarts!

Yes I know about the triangle menu. But the problem is when I click
Hibernate, it acts like it's going to shut down and then it proceeds to
restart instead. Hibernate is supposed to save my session to disk and
power off right? That's not happening.

--
deltrey
Chad

Re: Hibernate won't power off...it' restarts!
Im having the same issue! Has this been resolved? If so how so I can fix mine
as well...Thanks!
--
Newbies need extra loven.........

deltrey

Re: Hibernate won't power off...it' restarts!

I never did get this to work. Unfortunately I had to go back to XP. Sad
I know but at the time it was the easiest thing for me to do. I spent a
good 4 hours messing with this issue and I do know my away around a
computer. I hope you have better luck then me

--
deltrey
Chad

Re: Hibernate won't power off...it' restarts!
I myself have searched everywher for an answer and cant find a solution! If I
do I will post back here....
--
Newbies need extra loven.........

"deltrey" wrote:

> I never did get this to work. Unfortunately I had to go back to XP. Sad
> I know but at the time it was the easiest thing for me to do. I spent a
> good 4 hours messing with this issue and I do know my away around a
> computer. I hope you have better luck then me
>

> --
> deltrey

Chad

Re: Hibernate won't power off...it' restarts!
Deltery, I got mine fixed! I dont know what I did but here is what I was
doing and now its fixed. I was messing with tweaks from a site and a long
story short this is what I did.

1. Click on the start orb and type in "MSCONFIG" in the textbox.
2. Once the System Configuration tool loads, click on the Boot tab.
3. Under Boot Options make sure nothing is checked
4. Reboot
--
Newbies need extra loven.........

"Chad" wrote:

> I myself have searched everywher for an answer and cant find a solution! If I
> do I will post back here....
> --
> Newbies need extra loven.........
>

> "deltrey" wrote:
>

> > I never did get this to work. Unfortunately I had to go back to XP. Sad
> > I know but at the time it was the easiest thing for me to do. I spent a
> > good 4 hours messing with this issue and I do know my away around a
> > computer. I hope you have better luck then me
> >

> > --
> > deltrey

John Randle

Re: Hibernate won't power off...it' restarts!
I am having a similar problem with VISTA Home Premium and noted in another
thread that if there is shared media on a system (I have a shared USB backup
drive under OneCare) that hibernate is "disabled" as the shared media would
then not be available over the network. However, after my system does its
unsolicited reboot from its first hibernate, if I tell it to hibernate a
second time it does as requested. I will try the "msconfig" later and report
my results.
--
John

"Chad" wrote:

> Deltery, I got mine fixed! I dont know what I did but here is what I was
> doing and now its fixed. I was messing with tweaks from a site and a long
> story short this is what I did.
>
> 1. Click on the start orb and type in "MSCONFIG" in the textbox.
> 2. Once the System Configuration tool loads, click on the Boot tab.
> 3. Under Boot Options make sure nothing is checked
> 4. Reboot
> --
> Newbies need extra loven.........
>

> "Chad" wrote:
>
> > I myself have searched everywher for an answer and cant find a solution! If I
> > do I will post back here....
> > --
> > Newbies need extra loven.........
> >

> > "deltrey" wrote:
> >

> > > I never did get this to work. Unfortunately I had to go back to XP. Sad
> > > I know but at the time it was the easiest thing for me to do. I spent a
> > > good 4 hours messing with this issue and I do know my away around a
> > > computer. I hope you have better luck then me
> > >

> > > --
> > > deltrey

John Randle

Re: Hibernate won't power off...it' restarts!
As an update .. I checked the boot configuration as suggested, and none of
the boxes are checked .. yet the first time I do a hibernate I get loss of
video, then the usb external drive shuts down, but the proc never powers down
and then it wakes itself up. The second time I do a hibernate the response is
as expected .. los of video, usb shut down, proc power down. The above is on
a desktop, single proc, 1.25G RAM, recently updraded from XP Home and acting
as a OneCare hub. I have a second VISTA Home Premium system, a notebook with
dual proc & 4 GB RAM that this doesn't happen with at all.
--
John

"John Randle" wrote:

> I am having a similar problem with VISTA Home Premium and noted in another
> thread that if there is shared media on a system (I have a shared USB backup
> drive under OneCare) that hibernate is "disabled" as the shared media would
> then not be available over the network. However, after my system does its
> unsolicited reboot from its first hibernate, if I tell it to hibernate a
> second time it does as requested. I will try the "msconfig" later and report
> my results.
> --
> John
>
> "Chad" wrote:
>
> > Deltery, I got mine fixed! I dont know what I did but here is what I was
> > doing and now its fixed. I was messing with tweaks from a site and a long
> > story short this is what I did.
> >
> > 1. Click on the start orb and type in "MSCONFIG" in the textbox.
> > 2. Once the System Configuration tool loads, click on the Boot tab.
> > 3. Under Boot Options make sure nothing is checked
> > 4. Reboot
> > --
> > Newbies need extra loven.........
> >

> > "Chad" wrote:
> >
> > > I myself have searched everywher for an answer and cant find a solution! If I
> > > do I will post back here....
> > > --
> > > Newbies need extra loven.........

Carnage

Re: Hibernate won't power off...it' restarts!

samw here. sometimes it would powerd own and in the middle of the night
restart and I would find in the morning that the computer had been on
all morning.

--
Carnage