Re: Error 1719 - Windows Vistsa Home Premium

Robert Aldwinckle

Re: Error 1719 - Windows Vistsa Home Premium
(cross-post added to Vista Perf & Maint)
"Charlie" <Charlie@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> [Subject: Error 1719 - Windows Vistsa Home Premium]

> It drives me crazy that every post about this error in the "Vista community"
> is about XP.

That's because the web interface to newsgroups that you are using
misleads you into thinking that all the links it offers are Vista-specific
newsgroups. Some of them are common to more than one OS.
In fact this one is common to all OS and typically there is more knowledge
about XP in here than about Vista.

> None of the XP "solutions" work for me and I've found nothing
> that addresses this error for Vista. Please help.

Error codes by themselves are relatively useless.
For example here is what that one may mean on XP.

<cmd_output OS="XPsp2">
F:\>net helpmsg 1719

There are no protocol sequences.
</cmd_output>

Is that what Vista shows for net helpmsg 1719 too?
As you can see it doesn't tell you much about anything. ; )

Try to find some context for them in any log files that the update
created. BTW the code that you are quoting is a decimal code
and in general you may find more references to its hex equivalent
(0x0687) instead. In fact, you might find those hex nibbles in a
longer hex code such as 0x80070687. Etc.

> I have a Toshiba laptop with Vista premium installed. After installing MS
> Office Standard 2007 I can no longer install or uninstall anything, getting
> the 1719 error. I've surfed the web and this problem based on MSI problems
> seems to have been around for months but I can find no solution to it.
> Attempting to uninstall anything hangs the process, which can't be stopped
> even through the task mgr. Installs are the same way - using Windows Update
> simply hangs the computer.

If you are having more general problems with WU you should try using
its log. Ref. KB902093.

> I could really use some help.

In case there is something different about Vista's production of this symptom
I've cross-posted this reply to a Vista-specific newsgroup.

HTH

Robert Aldwinckle
---

Chezza53

Re: Error 1719 - Windows Vistsa Home Premium
I am also getting the same and being a newbie and one with no experience find
it very hard to get decent help on the matter. I have no experience in
writing scripts so I need some very simple fix.
If it is true that this has been happening for so LONG why hasn't it been
fixed by Microsoft???????????

"Robert Aldwinckle" wrote:

> (cross-post added to Vista Perf & Maint)
> "Charlie" <Charlie@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > [Subject: Error 1719 - Windows Vistsa Home Premium]

> > It drives me crazy that every post about this error in the "Vista community"
> > is about XP.

> That's because the web interface to newsgroups that you are using
> misleads you into thinking that all the links it offers are Vista-specific
> newsgroups. Some of them are common to more than one OS.
> In fact this one is common to all OS and typically there is more knowledge
> about XP in here than about Vista.
>

> > None of the XP "solutions" work for me and I've found nothing
> > that addresses this error for Vista. Please help.

> Error codes by themselves are relatively useless.
> For example here is what that one may mean on XP.
>
> <cmd_output OS="XPsp2">
> F:\>net helpmsg 1719
>
> There are no protocol sequences.
> </cmd_output>
>
> Is that what Vista shows for net helpmsg 1719 too?
> As you can see it doesn't tell you much about anything. ; )
>

> Try to find some context for them in any log files that the update
> created. BTW the code that you are quoting is a decimal code
> and in general you may find more references to its hex equivalent
> (0x0687) instead. In fact, you might find those hex nibbles in a
> longer hex code such as 0x80070687. Etc.
>

> > I have a Toshiba laptop with Vista premium installed. After installing MS
> > Office Standard 2007 I can no longer install or uninstall anything, getting
> > the 1719 error. I've surfed the web and this problem based on MSI problems
> > seems to have been around for months but I can find no solution to it.
> > Attempting to uninstall anything hangs the process, which can't be stopped
> > even through the task mgr. Installs are the same way - using Windows Update
> > simply hangs the computer.

> If you are having more general problems with WU you should try using
> its log. Ref. KB902093.
>

> > I could really use some help.

> In case there is something different about Vista's production of this symptom
> I've cross-posted this reply to a Vista-specific newsgroup.
>

> HTH
>
> Robert Aldwinckle
> ---

Robert Aldwinckle

Re: Error 1719 - Windows Vistsa Home Premium

http://www.microsoft.com/communities...9-90d206228997

10/20/2007 11:32 AM PST

"Chezza53" <Chezza53@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I am also getting the same and being a newbie and one with no experience find
> it very hard to get decent help on the matter. I have no experience in
> writing scripts so I need some very simple fix.

Before you ask for "a fix" you have to be prepared to provide details,
which supplement this extremely vague symptom description.

So, are you a Vista user? What do you see if you enter (in a cmd window):

net helpmsg 1719

> If it is true that this has been happening for so LONG why hasn't it been
> fixed by Microsoft???????????

Probably because nobody is providing sufficient details about it. ; }

HTH

Robert
---

>> Try to find some context for them in any log files that the update
>> created. BTW the code that you are quoting is a decimal code
>> and in general you may find more references to its hex equivalent
>> (0x0687) instead. In fact, you might find those hex nibbles in a
>> longer hex code such as 0x80070687. Etc.

Dakota1510

Re: Error 1719 - Windows Vistsa Home Premium
poor, very poor excuse! for an answer to a problem that seams to be very
popular! I have spend days and hours trying to fix this problem. Have read
everything under the sun. all information is not help.

I am trying to run a business and can not run my programs. Dead Losing money.

Get the problem fix and stop making excuses that there is not enough
information. The problem is wide spread.

Unbeleiveable.

Get with it Microsoft.

"Robert Aldwinckle" wrote:

> http://www.microsoft.com/communities...9-90d206228997
>
> 10/20/2007 11:32 AM PST
>
> "Chezza53" <Chezza53@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >I am also getting the same and being a newbie and one with no experience find
> > it very hard to get decent help on the matter. I have no experience in
> > writing scripts so I need some very simple fix.

> Before you ask for "a fix" you have to be prepared to provide details,
> which supplement this extremely vague symptom description.
>

> So, are you a Vista user? What do you see if you enter (in a cmd window):
>
> net helpmsg 1719
>

> > If it is true that this has been happening for so LONG why hasn't it been
> > fixed by Microsoft???????????

> Probably because nobody is providing sufficient details about it. ; }
>

> HTH
>
> Robert
> ---

> >> Try to find some context for them in any log files that the update
> >> created. BTW the code that you are quoting is a decimal code
> >> and in general you may find more references to its hex equivalent
> >> (0x0687) instead. In fact, you might find those hex nibbles in a
> >> longer hex code such as 0x80070687. Etc.

Nonny

Re: Error 1719 - Windows Vistsa Home Premium
On Thu, 10 Jul 2008 02:32:09 -0700, Dakota1510
<Dakota1510@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>Get with it Microsoft.

Microsoft neither lives here nor works here. It doesn't even check
here.

We are all a bunch of computer users who gather to share our miseries
and successes.
Harry Johnston [MVP]

Dakota1510 wrote:

> poor, very poor excuse! for an answer to a problem that seams to be very
> popular! I have spend days and hours trying to fix this problem. Have read
> everything under the sun. all information is not help.

You're responding to a very old thread. What exactly is your problem? What
makes you think it is common? What have you done to try to correct it?

(Please start a new thread rather than responding to this one.)

Harry.
macfan

Re: Error 1719 - Windows Vistsa Home Premium
unbelievable! what dismal customer service. this post belongs in one of
those excruciating Vista advertisements. this problem is causing us to get
rid of Vista, yet again.

"Robert Aldwinckle" wrote:

> http://www.microsoft.com/communities...9-90d206228997
>
> 10/20/2007 11:32 AM PST
>
> "Chezza53" <Chezza53@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >I am also getting the same and being a newbie and one with no experience find
> > it very hard to get decent help on the matter. I have no experience in
> > writing scripts so I need some very simple fix.

> Before you ask for "a fix" you have to be prepared to provide details,
> which supplement this extremely vague symptom description.
>

> So, are you a Vista user? What do you see if you enter (in a cmd window):
>
> net helpmsg 1719
>

> > If it is true that this has been happening for so LONG why hasn't it been
> > fixed by Microsoft???????????

> Probably because nobody is providing sufficient details about it. ; }
>

> HTH
>
> Robert
> ---

> >> Try to find some context for them in any log files that the update
> >> created. BTW the code that you are quoting is a decimal code
> >> and in general you may find more references to its hex equivalent
> >> (0x0687) instead. In fact, you might find those hex nibbles in a
> >> longer hex code such as 0x80070687. Etc.

Malke

macfan wrote:

> unbelievable! what dismal customer service. this post belongs in one of
> those excruciating Vista advertisements. this problem is causing us to
> get rid of Vista, yet again.

This isn't Microsoft "customer service". You have misunderstood the venue in
which you're posting. This is Usenet - a public newsgroup hosted on
Microsoft servers. While occasionally an MS employee will post, the
majority of helpers are volunteers who do not work for the company.

About Usenet:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Usenet
http://www.faqs.org/faqs/ - Usenet FAQs from the Internet FAQ Archives
http://www.usenetmonster.com/infocenter/
http://www.elephantboycomputers.com/page2.html#Usenet - a brief explanation
of newsgroups

So while you may wish to get rid of Vista - and that's certainly your choice
- basing your decision on your misunderstanding of newsgroups would be a
mistake.

If you wish to contact MS customer service (not free except for certain
types of support), here are some links:

Contact MS - http://support.microsoft.com/gp/contactuswindows?sd=win

MS International Support -
http://support.microsoft.com/common/international.aspx

Malke
(written in KNode on SUSE Linux from a vm hosted on Mac OS X)
--
MS-MVP
Elephant Boy Computers - Don't Panic!

Mark H

Re: Error 1719 - Windows Vistsa Home Premium
Well, with only five minutes on MSDN, I found the following:

Vista Error 1719:
This can occur if the Windows Installer is not correctly installed. Repair,
or re-install Vista.

Common methods to fix this problem:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/555175

x64 specific:
http://www.vistax64.com/vista-genera...or-1719-a.html

Or:
Before you attempt to re-install the program that failed to install, clear
your %temp% folder.

Of course, you many never get this information since you are on some forum
out there connected indirectly to this newsgroup.