"O&O Defrag" compared to "DiskKeeper" - Opinions?

Mark Conrad

"O&O Defrag" compared to "DiskKeeper" - Opinions?

I already have O&O Defrag, seems very fast on Vista.

Any DiskKeeper advocates out there?

Am thinking of comparing the two: wise or unwise?

Thanks.

Mark-
Jake

Re: "O&O Defrag" compared to "DiskKeeper" - Opinions?

"Mark Conrad" <noneof@urbusiness.invalid> wrote in message

> I already have O&O Defrag, seems very fast on Vista.
>
> Any DiskKeeper advocates out there?
>
> Am thinking of comparing the two: wise or unwise?
>
> Thanks.
>
> Mark-

I have used O & O, Diskeeper en Perfect disc. I prefer the latter one,
because it has a slightly better interface. Another possiblity is to use
Norton 360, which has a defrag built in.
As far as defragmenting your disc is concerned, there is no noticable
difference between those 4.

Benjamin

Re: "O&O Defrag" compared to "DiskKeeper" - Opinions?

Your final decision would ofcourse depend on which software meets your
specific needs because no two systems are alike. That said, of the
three, my personal pick is Diskeeper Pro 2007, and I use it because it
is fast, offers dual defrag modes for each volume, uses very few
resources during a defrag, and very crucially- never freezes, locks up
or displays any sort of instability on my systems. The last point is
extremely important for me personally. YMMV. Good luck in your
selection.

--
Benjamin
Mark Conrad

Re: "O&O Defrag" compared to "DiskKeeper" - Opinions?
In article <Benjamin.2yuqz3@no-mx.forums.net>,
Benjamin <Benjamin.2yuqz3@no-mx.forums.net> wrote:

> Your final decision would ofcourse depend on which software meets your
> specific needs because no two systems are alike. That said, of the
> three, my personal pick is Diskeeper Pro 2007, and I use it because it
> is fast, offers dual defrag modes for each volume, uses very few
> resources during a defrag, and very crucially- never freezes, locks up
> or displays any sort of instability on my systems. The last point is
> extremely important for me personally. YMMV. Good luck in your
> selection.

Thanks everyone, I will try the suggestions.

Mark-
kleczerx

Re: "O&O Defrag" compared to "DiskKeeper" - Opinions?

I found fault with O&ODefrag 10.0.1634ProX64. My OS Vista x64 with SP1
V.275. Prior to SP1 being introduced Defrag worked well, and even after
installing a fresh copy of Defrag after introducing SP1 things look good
at first; but eventually two faults occur. In SP1 mode, O&O Defrag
normally makes reference to a permanent temp file which then has its
pointer removed such that the drives are not referenced in the O&O
Defrag's window upon opening. You need to go to Vista's "Programs and
Features" to right-click the O&O Defrag item and select "repair" to
re-active O&O Defrag.
But the worst and second fault is that after installing O&O Defrag and
rebooting Vista, Vista will enter a rotary booting sequence which cannot
be overcome. Even selecting "last working" reboot, on the black screen,
or using the Vista DVD Disk "repair" mode will not rescue you and allow
entry into Vista. In my case, I always keep a working Crive Image
without O&O Defrag, by Norton Ghost, to return my OS. the people at O&O
need to correct this fault. I proved this on two workstations and many
clean Vista OS installs to find this fault.

--
kleczerx