CHKDSK stops before "The type of the file system is NTFS."

AjJii

CHKDSK stops before "The type of the file system is NTFS."
Windows Vista Home Premium will not boot. Attempting to run the chkdsk from
the installation cd, the command takes. The HDD light flickers a second and
nothing happens afterwards.
After Seeing this I introduced the HDD to spinrite for about 4 ours and
found no errors and did the same with the fujitsu tools for the drive.
I was able to sector by sector clone the drive to another which has
obviously has the same problem. If I access either drive in a functional
Windows Vista system I obtain the event ID 137 from NTFS. A chkdsk or scan
of the disk will cause the other system to hang.
However, I have been able to copy all files from the sytem without error and
have verified that most of them are in good repair.
I assume that I have hit a bug in TFx but... what do I do next, I do not
really want to wipe this HDD.
AjJii
Richard Urban

Re: CHKDSK stops before "The type of the file system is NTFS."
You said you could copy the information. Do so! Then rebuild the drive from
scratch to try to salvage it. By this I mean

1. Delete all partitions from the drive until you have only unallocated
space available.

2. Create and format new NTFS partitions. This will give you a new MBR
and partition structure

3. Install this empty drive in another computer as a slave and run
chkdsk. If the drive still doesn't pass - retire the drive.

--

Regards,

Richard Urban
Microsoft MVP Windows Shell/User

"AjJii" <AjJii@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Windows Vista Home Premium will not boot. Attempting to run the chkdsk
> from
> the installation cd, the command takes. The HDD light flickers a second
> and
> nothing happens afterwards.
> After Seeing this I introduced the HDD to spinrite for about 4 ours and
> found no errors and did the same with the fujitsu tools for the drive.
> I was able to sector by sector clone the drive to another which has
> obviously has the same problem. If I access either drive in a functional
> Windows Vista system I obtain the event ID 137 from NTFS. A chkdsk or
> scan
> of the disk will cause the other system to hang.
> However, I have been able to copy all files from the sytem without error
> and
> have verified that most of them are in good repair.
> I assume that I have hit a bug in TFx but... what do I do next, I do not
> really want to wipe this HDD.
> AjJii

Rick Rogers

Re: CHKDSK stops before "The type of the file system is NTFS."
Hi,

Image the drive, then wipe it and reload from the image. You can use many of
the available tools out there: True Image, Image for Windows, Ghost, etc.

--
Best of Luck,

http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
Windows help - www.rickrogers.org