Battery life problem

coyot

Battery life problem
Hello
I've got very specific problem. Everything seems to be ok but I'm
dissapointed because of my battery on laptop. I mean that if i work on the
battery it (the icon in the task bar) shows only %, not time which left - you
know what i mean? how can i change it that it'll show that time? It's very
helpful for me - % means nothing to be honest - it does not give any
information how long (aprox) i can work.....

looking forward..;-]
Rick Rogers

Re: Battery life problem
Hi,

You don't, the figure shown is a rough approximation, and what you see is
determined by the system manufacturer. Unless the laptop's power supply
software allows for it, there isn't going to be any way for you to change
it.

Besides, in laptops the time remaining is relative to usage level. It's
impossible for the system to estimate the amount of usage you will employ in
the next 10 minutes. Therefore it's impossible to predict how much time you
have left. Percentage of battery left, however, will at least be accurate.
Once you've used the system for awhile, you'll know exactly how long it will
run on battery, and what software processes will burn up the battery faster.

--
Best of Luck,

http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
Windows help - www.rickrogers.org

"coyot" <coyot@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Hello
> I've got very specific problem. Everything seems to be ok but I'm
> dissapointed because of my battery on laptop. I mean that if i work on the
> battery it (the icon in the task bar) shows only %, not time which left -
> you
> know what i mean? how can i change it that it'll show that time? It's very
> helpful for me - % means nothing to be honest - it does not give any
> information how long (aprox) i can work.....
>
> looking forward..;-]

coyot

Re: Battery life problem

"Rick Rogers" wrote:

> Hi,
>
> You don't, the figure shown is a rough approximation, and what you see is
> determined by the system manufacturer. Unless the laptop's power supply
> software allows for it, there isn't going to be any way for you to change
> it.
>
> Besides, in laptops the time remaining is relative to usage level. It's
> impossible for the system to estimate the amount of usage you will employ in
> the next 10 minutes. Therefore it's impossible to predict how much time you
> have left. Percentage of battery left, however, will at least be accurate.
> Once you've used the system for awhile, you'll know exactly how long it will
> run on battery, and what software processes will burn up the battery faster.
>
> --
> Best of Luck,

> http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
> Windows help - www.rickrogers.org
>
> "coyot" <coyot@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Hello
> > I've got very specific problem. Everything seems to be ok but I'm
> > dissapointed because of my battery on laptop. I mean that if i work on the
> > battery it (the icon in the task bar) shows only %, not time which left -
> > you
> > know what i mean? how can i change it that it'll show that time? It's very
> > helpful for me - % means nothing to be honest - it does not give any
> > information how long (aprox) i can work.....
> >
> > looking forward..;-]

But for example on win XP I have that information without any software. Lots
of my friends have that infomation so I would like to know why I do not?

Rick Rogers

Re: Battery life problem
Hi,

Again, it's dependent on the manufacturer and what they provide in the
system for battery power reporting. Power information, like any other bit of
hardware, is determined by the supporting driver files. If they only provide
for a percentage, then that's all you get.