Disappointing performance with new computer and Windows Vista

Rudi Kalil

Disappointing performance with new computer and Windows Vista
I have just acquired a new duo-core computer (Sony VAIO VGN-TZ17GN) which
comes with Windows Vista Business, upgrading from a 2-year old Dell with
Windows XP and it is negatively surprising the performance of this new
computer. After updating Windows, disabling Windows Aero, updating Graphics
driver, etc, etc, etc the computer still takes big time to power on and also
take long to start every application. HW is composed by 2x 1.20GHz Centrino
processors and 1GB of RAM. Display adapter is integrated, model 945 express
chipset family from Intel. After running WEI my "new" computer gets 2.0 for
Graphics adapter and 2.6 for gaming graphics adapter. Anything else I can do
to get decent performance on this computer ????
Carey Frisch [MVP]

Re: Disappointing performance with new computer and Windows Vista
Open Power Options (its in the Control Panel) and then
place a dot next to High Performance.

Next:

Open Device Manager (its in the Control Panel) and then
right-click on your hard drive (under Disk Drives). Click
on "Policies" and make sure there are check marks next to
"Optimize for Performance", "Enable write caching on
the disk", and "Enable advanced performance", then click OK.

Next, perform a Disk Cleanup:

Click on the blue Vista start button and then on the Computer
entry in the Start Menu. Right-click on your hard drive and
select Properties > Disk Cleanup > Files from all users.....
More Options > Clean Up (System Restore and Shadow Copies).

Consider installing addition RAM up to 2GB. Having a total of
2GB RAM installed will significantly improve overall performance.
Visit: http://www.crucial.com/ and run the Crucial System Scanner Tool.

--
Carey Frisch
Microsoft MVP

"Rudi Kalil" <Rudi Kalil@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:974C144C-B493-4D3D-A4CA-BC4F61397719@microsoft.com...
I have just acquired a new duo-core computer (Sony VAIO VGN-TZ17GN) which
comes with Windows Vista Business, upgrading from a 2-year old Dell with
Windows XP and it is negatively surprising the performance of this new
computer. After updating Windows, disabling Windows Aero, updating Graphics
driver, etc, etc, etc the computer still takes big time to power on and also
take long to start every application. HW is composed by 2x 1.20GHz Centrino
processors and 1GB of RAM. Display adapter is integrated, model 945 express
chipset family from Intel. After running WEI my "new" computer gets 2.0 for
Graphics adapter and 2.6 for gaming graphics adapter. Anything else I can do
to get decent performance on this computer ????
Spirit

Re: Disappointing performance with new computer and Windows Vista
Do as Carey said and you definitely want 2 gigs of RAM. Another help is to
use
1.75+ Gig of FAST Flash Drive Memory with ReadyBoost. RAM is better but
ReadyBoost does help. Also update all your drivers and Sony Utilities.

How to set Perfmon to monitor ReadyBoost
http://mindvacant.com/Nuke70_News/article-51--0-0.html

ReadyBoost Drives - Compatible
http://www.grantgibson.co.uk/misc/readyboost/

http://www.activewin.com/reviews/har...adyboost.shtml

ReadyBoost Incompatible
http://www.grantgibson.co.uk/misc/re...s=incompatible

> Open Power Options (its in the Control Panel) and then
> place a dot next to High Performance.
>
> Next:
>
> Open Device Manager (its in the Control Panel) and then
> right-click on your hard drive (under Disk Drives). Click
> on "Policies" and make sure there are check marks next to
> "Optimize for Performance", "Enable write caching on
> the disk", and "Enable advanced performance", then click OK.
>
> Next, perform a Disk Cleanup:
>
> Click on the blue Vista start button and then on the Computer
> entry in the Start Menu. Right-click on your hard drive and
> select Properties > Disk Cleanup > Files from all users.....
> More Options > Clean Up (System Restore and Shadow Copies).
>
> Consider installing addition RAM up to 2GB. Having a total of
> 2GB RAM installed will significantly improve overall performance.
> Visit: http://www.crucial.com/ and run the Crucial System Scanner Tool.
>
> --
> Carey Frisch
> Microsoft MVP
> Windows Shell/User

> "Rudi Kalil" <Rudi Kalil@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> I have just acquired a new duo-core computer (Sony VAIO VGN-TZ17GN) which
> comes with Windows Vista Business, upgrading from a 2-year old Dell with
> Windows XP and it is negatively surprising the performance of this new
> computer. After updating Windows, disabling Windows Aero, updating
> Graphics
> driver, etc, etc, etc the computer still takes big time to power on and
> also
> take long to start every application. HW is composed by 2x 1.20GHz
> Centrino
> processors and 1GB of RAM. Display adapter is integrated, model 945
> express
> chipset family from Intel. After running WEI my "new" computer gets 2.0
> for
> Graphics adapter and 2.6 for gaming graphics adapter. Anything else I can
> do
> to get decent performance on this computer ????

Jupiter Jones [MVP]

Re: Disappointing performance with new computer and Windows Vista
Your WEI will be equal to the lowest of all the scores.
The lowest may be your problem, but not always.

2 GB RAM may be necessary for you although many run Windows Vista
successfully with 1 GB.

See what programs are running at start.
Most OEMs have a bunch of garbage running at start.
Uninstall anything you do not want and disable from startup anything
you do not want running at start.
Most programs have an option in their "Settings" or "Options" to
prevent a program from running at start.

Update to the latest drivers, particularly video.
Do not assume a new computer has the latest drivers.

--
Jupiter Jones [MVP]
http://www3.telus.net/dandemar

"Rudi Kalil" <Rudi Kalil@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I have just acquired a new duo-core computer (Sony VAIO VGN-TZ17GN)
>which
> comes with Windows Vista Business, upgrading from a 2-year old Dell
> with
> Windows XP and it is negatively surprising the performance of this
> new
> computer. After updating Windows, disabling Windows Aero, updating
> Graphics
> driver, etc, etc, etc the computer still takes big time to power on
> and also
> take long to start every application. HW is composed by 2x 1.20GHz
> Centrino
> processors and 1GB of RAM. Display adapter is integrated, model 945
> express
> chipset family from Intel. After running WEI my "new" computer gets
> 2.0 for
> Graphics adapter and 2.6 for gaming graphics adapter. Anything else
> I can do
> to get decent performance on this computer ????

usasma

Re: Disappointing performance with new computer and Windows Vista
It's been my experience that the 512 mB and 1 gB RAM Vista systems can be
likened to the initial offering of XP with 128 mB and 256 mB of RAM - while
it does work, it's not going to be satisfactory in the long run.

I also recall the days of advising that 512 mB of RAM was what was needed
for XP to run well, now that recommendation has risen to 1 gB. How will this
affect Vista? I dunno But my recommendations now are for 1 gB for
adequate performance, and 2 gB for good performance. 4 gB is great, but 32
bit systems won't recognize the full 4 gB (mine recognizes 3.26 gB).

As the OS "ages" there'll be changes that consume more and more of the RAM
(and this just considers RAM issues - not the other issues of "bloat"). You
can either aggressively maintain the system by continually monitoring the RAM
consumption (and performing the maintenance chores to keep it down) - - or
you can add more RAM to offset the labor that you'll need to invest to keep
it running in tiptop shape.

In short, move up to 2 gB, but don't expect it to fix all the problems.
It's gonna take a bit of tuning and some maintenance to get it working the
way that you want.

- John

"Jupiter Jones [MVP]" wrote:

> Your WEI will be equal to the lowest of all the scores.
> The lowest may be your problem, but not always.
>
> 2 GB RAM may be necessary for you although many run Windows Vista
> successfully with 1 GB.
>
> See what programs are running at start.
> Most OEMs have a bunch of garbage running at start.
> Uninstall anything you do not want and disable from startup anything
> you do not want running at start.
> Most programs have an option in their "Settings" or "Options" to
> prevent a program from running at start.
>
> Update to the latest drivers, particularly video.
> Do not assume a new computer has the latest drivers.
>
> --
> Jupiter Jones [MVP]
> http://www3.telus.net/dandemar
> http://www.dts-l.org
>

> "Rudi Kalil" <Rudi Kalil@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >I have just acquired a new duo-core computer (Sony VAIO VGN-TZ17GN)
> >which
> > comes with Windows Vista Business, upgrading from a 2-year old Dell
> > with
> > Windows XP and it is negatively surprising the performance of this
> > new
> > computer. After updating Windows, disabling Windows Aero, updating
> > Graphics
> > driver, etc, etc, etc the computer still takes big time to power on
> > and also
> > take long to start every application. HW is composed by 2x 1.20GHz
> > Centrino
> > processors and 1GB of RAM. Display adapter is integrated, model 945
> > express
> > chipset family from Intel. After running WEI my "new" computer gets
> > 2.0 for
> > Graphics adapter and 2.6 for gaming graphics adapter. Anything else
> > I can do
> > to get decent performance on this computer ????

Kevin Weaver

> Your WEI will be equal to the lowest of all the scores.
> The lowest may be your problem, but not always.
>
> 2 GB RAM may be necessary for you although many run Windows Vista
> successfully with 1 GB.
>
> See what programs are running at start.
> Most OEMs have a bunch of garbage running at start.

You also forget that vista also has a lot of *garbage* you don't need as
well.

> Uninstall anything you do not want and disable from startup anything you
> do not want running at start.
> Most programs have an option in their "Settings" or "Options" to prevent a
> program from running at start.
>
> Update to the latest drivers, particularly video.
> Do not assume a new computer has the latest drivers.
>
> --
> Jupiter Jones [MVP]
> http://www3.telus.net/dandemar
> http://www.dts-l.org
>

> "Rudi Kalil" <Rudi Kalil@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>>I have just acquired a new duo-core computer (Sony VAIO VGN-TZ17GN) which
>> comes with Windows Vista Business, upgrading from a 2-year old Dell with
>> Windows XP and it is negatively surprising the performance of this new
>> computer. After updating Windows, disabling Windows Aero, updating
>> Graphics
>> driver, etc, etc, etc the computer still takes big time to power on and
>> also
>> take long to start every application. HW is composed by 2x 1.20GHz
>> Centrino
>> processors and 1GB of RAM. Display adapter is integrated, model 945
>> express
>> chipset family from Intel. After running WEI my "new" computer gets 2.0
>> for
>> Graphics adapter and 2.6 for gaming graphics adapter. Anything else I can
>> do
>> to get decent performance on this computer ????

Rudi Kalil

Re: Disappointing performance with new computer and Windows Vista
Thanks all for the answers, a lot of things have improved but I still see
performance issues to power on, to drag Explorer download history list, to
open new browser tab, to open applications and files ... Have re-ran the WEI
and now I get:
- Processor: calculations per second Score 4.4 (same as before)
- Memory RAM: operations per second Score 4.1 (same as before)
- Graphics: desktop performance for Windows Aero Score 3.3 (before was 2.0)
- Gaming Graphics: 3D business and gaming graphics perf. Score 2.6 (same as
b4)
- Primary hard disk: disk data transfer rate Score 3.9 (same as before)
It is clear that 2GB is a must for me, but I'm not convinced this is the
best I can get from my new machine before upgrading memory. Anything else I
can do to get fair performance with Windows Vista ?
Spirit

Re: Disappointing performance with new computer and Windows Vista
You can turn AERO off and stop uneccessary programs and services.

Black Viper's Vista Service Configurations
http://www.blackviper.com/WinVista/servicecfg.htm

Windows Vista Services Guide
http://www.speedyvista.com/services.html

Windows Vista Services Tweak Guide v1.0
http://www.msfn.org/board/index.php?showtopic=87443

ItsVista
http://itsvista.com/

Show system information , processes, startup items, and more.
Start - Accessories - Run - msinfo32

http://www.speedyvista.com/
Vista Performance Tweaking

http://www.computerworld.com/action/...leId=9015 738
Top 10 Vista Hacks

50 Tips & Tricks for Vista
http://www.extremetech.com/article2/...2181865,00.asp

SpeedUP Vista
http://www.extremetech.com/article2/...2110595,00.asp

Control What Starts in Vista with MSCONFIG:
http://www.fixmyvista.com/content/view/14/26/

> Thanks all for the answers, a lot of things have improved but I still see
> performance issues to power on, to drag Explorer download history list, to
> open new browser tab, to open applications and files ... Have re-ran the
> WEI
> and now I get:
> - Processor: calculations per second Score 4.4 (same as before)
> - Memory RAM: operations per second Score 4.1 (same as before)
> - Graphics: desktop performance for Windows Aero Score 3.3 (before was
> 2.0)
> - Gaming Graphics: 3D business and gaming graphics perf. Score 2.6 (same
> as
> b4)
> - Primary hard disk: disk data transfer rate Score 3.9 (same as before)
> It is clear that 2GB is a must for me, but I'm not convinced this is the
> best I can get from my new machine before upgrading memory. Anything else
> can do to get fair performance with Windows Vista ?

hanko panko

Rudi Kalil;484471 Wrote:
> Thanks all for the answers, a lot of things have improved but I still
> see
> performance issues to power on, to drag Explorer download history list,
> open new browser tab, to open applications and files ... Have re-ran
> the WEI
> and now I get:
> - Processor: calculations per second Score 4.4 (same as before)
> - Memory RAM: operations per second Score 4.1 (same as before)
> - Graphics: desktop performance for Windows Aero Score 3.3 (before was
> 2.0)
> - Gaming Graphics: 3D business and gaming graphics perf. Score 2.6
> (same as
> b4)
> - Primary hard disk: disk data transfer rate Score 3.9 (same as before)
> It is clear that 2GB is a must for me, but I'm not convinced this is
> the
> best I can get from my new machine before upgrading memory. Anything
> else I
> can do to get fair performance with Windows Vista ?

Make sure you get the right 2GB of RAM and check your harddisk. Is it a
5400 rpm model? If yes, consider to upgrade the disk to a 7200 rpm
version. That speeds up things as well!

--
hanko panko

Sager NP9261, E6850, FSB1333, 4GB, 100+200 - 7200rpm HD, nVidia 512MB
8700GT, ...