Windows Defender vs. AdAware 2007

Ryka

Windows Defender vs. AdAware 2007
Windows Defender says there is no unwanted or harmful software is detected
on my system, but AdAware 2007 found 234 infections of privacy issues
(tracking cookies)! Does Defender just ignore tracking cookies?

Paul Smith

Re: Windows Defender vs. AdAware 2007
"Ryka" <Ryka@dancin'shoes.com> wrote in message
> Windows Defender says there is no unwanted or harmful software is detected
> on my system, but AdAware 2007 found 234 infections of privacy issues
> (tracking cookies)! Does Defender just ignore tracking cookies?

Cookies are not a threat to your computer. Personally I think the only
reason a lot of anti-malware applications flag them is to make you feel that
you need to keep using their software and/or handing over the money.

--
Paul Smith,
Yeovil, UK.

*Remove nospam. to reply by e-mail*

Ryka

"Paul Smith" <Paul@nospam.windowsresource.net> wrote in message
> "Ryka" <Ryka@dancin'shoes.com> wrote in message
>> Windows Defender says there is no unwanted or harmful software is
>> detected on my system, but AdAware 2007 found 234 infections of privacy
>> issues (tracking cookies)! Does Defender just ignore tracking cookies?

> Cookies are not a threat to your computer. Personally I think the only
> reason a lot of anti-malware applications flag them is to make you feel
> that you need to keep using their software and/or handing over the money.
>
> --
> Paul Smith,
> Yeovil, UK.
> Microsoft MVP Windows Shell/User.
> http://www.dasmirnov.net/blog/
> http://www.windowsresource.net/
>
> *Remove nospam. to reply by e-mail*

Thank you for your response. I feel better (safer) now!

Dave T.

Paul Smith wrote:

> Cookies are not a threat to your computer. Personally I think the only
> reason a lot of anti-malware applications flag them is to make you feel
> that you need to keep using their software and/or handing over the money.

Microsoft uses tracking cookies extensively. Defender doesn't see them
as a privacy issue.
--
Dave T.

If you can't be kind, at least have the decency to be vague.
Jupiter Jones [MVP]

Re: Windows Defender vs. AdAware 2007
Cookies are not an issue.
Many malware companies detect them as a way to boost the perception of
their effectiveness.
Since cookies are everywhere on the net, this false boost is easy.

Windows Defender does not detect cookies.
My guess the reason they are not detected is because Internet Explorer
and most other browsers already give you tight control over cookies.

There is only one reason I feel Windows Defender needs to detect
cookies.
That is because many see cookies caught by many malware detectors and
mistakenly believe programs that do not detect cookies lack.
The program detecting cookies gives no real protection, but it can
help the less informed feel better.

Use Ad Aware and Windows Defender.
Multiple programs increase the probability of getting everything.

--
Jupiter Jones [MVP]
http://www3.telus.net/dandemar

"Ryka" <Ryka@dancin'shoes.com> wrote in message
> Windows Defender says there is no unwanted or harmful software is
> detected on my system, but AdAware 2007 found 234 infections of
> privacy issues (tracking cookies)! Does Defender just ignore
> tracking cookies?

Dave T.

Jupiter Jones [MVP] wrote:
> Cookies are not an issue.
> Many malware companies detect them as a way to boost the perception of
> their effectiveness.

I agree as it applies to many of the Lesser applications

> There is only one reason I feel Windows Defender needs to detect cookies.
> That is because many see cookies caught by many malware detectors and
> mistakenly believe programs that do not detect cookies lack.
> The program detecting cookies gives no real protection, but it can help
> the less informed feel better.

I do not agree in this respect; SpySweeper detects tracking cookies, but
it is by far one of the best malware detectors available, IMHO.