Help please - Advanced Restore with Error 0x80070015

RKB

Help please - Advanced Restore with Error 0x80070015
This is the second time I've posted this question. I'm thinking I had posted
it in the wrong group the first time a couple of weeks ago, because I
received no replies. So, if anyone can help me (please Microsoft, jump in on
this one!), please respond.

I have tried to restore my Vista files with a backup I had backed up to
another
computer (over a network). When I select the 'advanced restore' it asks me
for the location of the backup file. I pick the other computer and it finds
it and asks me where I want to restore them to. I reply original location, it
starts restoring about 4 files and then displays the following error message:

The restore did not complete successfully.
The device is not ready.
(0X80070015)

It does not tell me what device is not ready and I have to cancel the
restore. Anyone have an idea of what it is trying to complain about? I have
retried this procedure many times, with the same results after it restores
the same files each time.

Joel

RE: Help please - Advanced Restore with Error 0x80070015
I just ran into the same issue. My old drive developed bad clusters after
only six months. The wonderful refurb Dell sent me was preloaded. I kept
getting the same error as soon as it would start the restore. What I have
done so far is to delete ALL of the existing partitions on the new drive and
start the full restore again. So far it is about 25% done and I'm hoping it
will actually finish.

Joel

"RKB" wrote:

> This is the second time I've posted this question. I'm thinking I had posted
> it in the wrong group the first time a couple of weeks ago, because I
> received no replies. So, if anyone can help me (please Microsoft, jump in on
> this one!), please respond.
>
> I have tried to restore my Vista files with a backup I had backed up to
> another
> computer (over a network). When I select the 'advanced restore' it asks me
> for the location of the backup file. I pick the other computer and it finds
> it and asks me where I want to restore them to. I reply original location, it
> starts restoring about 4 files and then displays the following error message:
>
> The restore did not complete successfully.
> The device is not ready.
> (0X80070015)
>
> It does not tell me what device is not ready and I have to cancel the
> restore. Anyone have an idea of what it is trying to complain about? I have
> retried this procedure many times, with the same results after it restores
> the same files each time.

Antonio Spain

RE: Help please - Advanced Restore with Error 0x80070015
Hi!
Exactly the same problem!!!! My files come from an ACER and I'm trying to
get them all on a VAIO. No way to do it. Have I lost it all? My ACER was
stolen and this is the only security copy! Please, an answer!! Ah! Sometumes
error number is also 0x800703EE, with same "device not ready". .

"RKB" wrote:

> This is the second time I've posted this question. I'm thinking I had posted
> it in the wrong group the first time a couple of weeks ago, because I
> received no replies. So, if anyone can help me (please Microsoft, jump in on
> this one!), please respond.
>
> I have tried to restore my Vista files with a backup I had backed up to
> another
> computer (over a network). When I select the 'advanced restore' it asks me
> for the location of the backup file. I pick the other computer and it finds
> it and asks me where I want to restore them to. I reply original location, it
> starts restoring about 4 files and then displays the following error message:
>
> The restore did not complete successfully.
> The device is not ready.
> (0X80070015)
>
> It does not tell me what device is not ready and I have to cancel the
> restore. Anyone have an idea of what it is trying to complain about? I have
> retried this procedure many times, with the same results after it restores
> the same files each time.

Joel

RE: Help please - Advanced Restore with Error 0x80070015
The drive you are restoring to must be equal or greater than the drive the
backup copy was made from. Also, if you are restoring to a different model
of computer, your best bet would be to try restoring the files, but remove
the drive and hook it up via an external drive/adaptor as the restore process
replaces the entire drive including the device drivers. I was able to
successfully restore after deleting any existing partitions on the
destination drive.

Joel