How do you repair windows entirely using your Windows Vista DVD

Jonathan Yaniv- Windows Live Butterfly Expert

How do you repair windows entirely using your Windows Vista DVD
I would like to know how to repair Windows Vista entirely by using my
Windows Vista disc, and still saving all my data, (files and programs).

Can someone please explain this to me, thanks

--
Thank you,

Have a nice day,

Jonathan Yaniv
Microsoft Windows LiveT Butterfly Expert

Ken Blake, MVP

Re: How do you repair windows entirely using your Windows Vista DVD
On Sat, 13 Oct 2007 13:35:53 -0700, "Jonathan Yaniv- Windows Live
Butterfly Expert" <jy@live.ca> wrote:

> I would like to know how to repair Windows Vista entirely by using my
> Windows Vista disc, and still saving all my data, (files and programs).
>
> Can someone please explain this to me, thanks

Read here: "How to Perform a Windows XP Repair Install"

But the way you ask makes it appear that you think this is a magical
panacea to fix everything. Be aware that it is *not*; it solves *some*
problems, and does nothing for others.

A repair installation normally does not affect your data or programs.
But you should also be aware that there are no guarantees that it
always works perfectly. However unlikely, it's always possible that
something might go wrong. For that reason it's prudent to be sure you
have a backup of anything you can't afford to lose before beginning.

Please Reply to the Newsgroup
Rick Rogers

Re: How do you repair windows entirely using your Windows Vista DVD
Hi,

You don't, you install to a new folder without formatting. Programs will
have to be reinstalled afterwards, but data can be recovered from the old
user profiles under windows.old. Vista does not have the repair install
function that XP did.

--
Best of Luck,

http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
Windows help - www.rickrogers.org

"Jonathan Yaniv- Windows Live Butterfly Expert" <jy@live.ca> wrote in
message news:ef4MridDIHA.3916@TK2MSFTNGP02.phx.gbl...
>I would like to know how to repair Windows Vista entirely by using my
>Windows Vista disc, and still saving all my data, (files and programs).
>
> Can someone please explain this to me, thanks
>
> --
> Thank you,
>
> Have a nice day,
>
> Jonathan Yaniv
> Microsoft Windows LiveT Butterfly Expert

Andre Da Costa [ActiveWin]

Re: How do you repair windows entirely using your Windows Vista DVD
Insert your Windows Vista DVD, make sure your BIOS setting is set to boot
from the optical disk
Boot from the Vista DVD into the Windows Recovery Environment
Choose your language settings, and then click Next.
Click Repair your computer link on the setup page.
Select the operating system you want to repair, and the click Next.
Click Startup Repair
--
Andre
Blog: http://adacosta.spaces.live.com
"Jonathan Yaniv- Windows Live Butterfly Expert" <jy@live.ca> wrote in
message news:ef4MridDIHA.3916@TK2MSFTNGP02.phx.gbl...
>I would like to know how to repair Windows Vista entirely by using my
>Windows Vista disc, and still saving all my data, (files and programs).
>
> Can someone please explain this to me, thanks
>
> --
> Thank you,
>
> Have a nice day,
>
> Jonathan Yaniv
> Microsoft Windows LiveT Butterfly Expert

Jonathan Yaniv- Windows Live Butterfly Expert

Re: How do you repair windows entirely using your Windows Vista DVD
Will it reinstall all the audio files, such as the Windows Audio service and
Multimedia system files?

--

"Ken Blake, MVP" <kblake@this.is.am.invalid.domain> wrote in message
> On Sat, 13 Oct 2007 13:35:53 -0700, "Jonathan Yaniv- Windows Live
> Butterfly Expert" <jy@live.ca> wrote:
>
>> I would like to know how to repair Windows Vista entirely by using my
>> Windows Vista disc, and still saving all my data, (files and programs).
>>
>> Can someone please explain this to me, thanks

> Read here: "How to Perform a Windows XP Repair Install"
>
> But the way you ask makes it appear that you think this is a magical
> panacea to fix everything. Be aware that it is *not*; it solves *some*
> problems, and does nothing for others.
>
> A repair installation normally does not affect your data or programs.
> But you should also be aware that there are no guarantees that it
> always works perfectly. However unlikely, it's always possible that
> something might go wrong. For that reason it's prudent to be sure you
> have a backup of anything you can't afford to lose before beginning.
>
> --
> Ken Blake, Microsoft MVP Windows - Shell/User
> Please Reply to the Newsgroup

Jonathan Yaniv- Windows Live Butterfly Expert

Re: How do you repair windows entirely using your Windows Vista DVD
And that will fix ALL Windows Vista files??

--

"Andre Da Costa [ActiveWin]" <andre@activewin.com> wrote in message
> Insert your Windows Vista DVD, make sure your BIOS setting is set to boot
> from the optical disk
> Boot from the Vista DVD into the Windows Recovery Environment
> Choose your language settings, and then click Next.
> Click Repair your computer link on the setup page.
> Select the operating system you want to repair, and the click Next.
> Click Startup Repair
> --
> Andre
> Blog: http://adacosta.spaces.live.com
> My Vista Quickstart Guide:
> http://adacosta.spaces.live.com/blog...3DB!9709.entry
> "Jonathan Yaniv- Windows Live Butterfly Expert" <jy@live.ca> wrote in
> message news:ef4MridDIHA.3916@TK2MSFTNGP02.phx.gbl...
>>I would like to know how to repair Windows Vista entirely by using my
>>Windows Vista disc, and still saving all my data, (files and programs).
>>
>> Can someone please explain this to me, thanks
>>
>> --
>> Thank you,
>>
>> Have a nice day,
>>
>> Jonathan Yaniv
>> Microsoft Windows LiveT Butterfly Expert

Andre Da Costa [ActiveWin]

Re: How do you repair windows entirely using your Windows Vista DVD
Not guaranteed. I recommend running setup over the existing installation, it
should carry over your existing settings, files and programs.
--
message news:e7b356dDIHA.4476@TK2MSFTNGP06.phx.gbl...

On Sat, 13 Oct 2007 17:12:41 -0400, "Rick Rogers" <rick@mvps.org>
wrote:

> Hi,
>
> You don't, you install to a new folder without formatting. Programs will
> have to be reinstalled afterwards, but data can be recovered from the old
> user profiles under windows.old. Vista does not have the repair install
> function that XP did.

And my apologies for stating that it did. I wasn't paying enough
attention, and thought the post was about XP.

> "Jonathan Yaniv- Windows Live Butterfly Expert" <jy@live.ca> wrote in
> message news:ef4MridDIHA.3916@TK2MSFTNGP02.phx.gbl...
> >I would like to know how to repair Windows Vista entirely by using my
> >Windows Vista disc, and still saving all my data, (files and programs).
> >
> > Can someone please explain this to me, thanks
> >
> > --
> > Thank you,
> >
> > Have a nice day,
> >
> > Jonathan Yaniv
> > Microsoft Windows LiveT Butterfly Expert

Please Reply to the Newsgroup
Chad Harris

Re: How do you repair windows entirely using your Windows Vista DVD
Jonathan--

These are some of these methods to fix Vista. There is no downside to
trying them, and MSFT did a great disservice when they incorrectly named
"Startup Repair" and state that it is only for problems that involve Vista
not booting. It potentially can fix major components of Vista that are
broken when you can boot as well.

***SFC as a Remedy***:

SFC or System File Checker is a bit like the spare tire in your car or a
backup battery I suppose. In Vista of course, they have changed it somewhat
and come up with a new name--Redmond stands for name it something different
twice a year and now it's part of WRP or Windows Resource Protection. It
scans protected resources including thousands of files, libraries, critical
folders, and essential registry keys, and it replaces those that are
corrupted with intact ones. It fixes a lot of problems in Windows XP, OE,
Windows Vista, Win Mail, IE6, and on Vista or if it is installed on XP, IE7.
It protects these things from changes by any source including
administrators, by keeping a spare of most of them.

How to Run SFC:

Type "cmd" into the Search box above the Start Button>and when cmd comes up
at the top of the Start menu>right click cmd and click "run as Admin" and
when the cmd prompt comes up at the cmd prompt type "sfc /scannow" no quotes
and let it run. This may fix things quite a bit. It replaces corrupt files
with intact ones, if you're not familiar with it.

***Startup Repair from the Vista DVD***

How to Use The Vista DVD to Repair Vista (Startup Repair is misnamed by the
Win RE team and it can be used to fix many Vista components even when you
***can boot to Vista):

http://www.windowsvista.windowsreins...rtup/index.htm

If you elect to run Startup repair from the Vista DVD (it can fix major
components in Vista--I've verified this many many times; it's good for more
than startup problems, and the Win RE team simply screwed up when they named
it not understanding its full functionality):

Startup Repair will look like this when you put in the Vista DVD:

http://www.vistaclues.com/wp-content...r-computer.png

You run the startup repair tool this way (and system restore from here is
also sometimes effective):

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/925810/en-us

How To Run Startup Repair In Vista Ultimate (Multiple Screenshots)
http://www.windowsvista.windowsreins...rtup/index.htm

It will automatically take you to this on your screen:

http://www.vistaclues.com/wp-content...r-computer.png

That will allow you to go to the Vista setup that has a Repair link on
thelower left corner>click it and then you'll see a gray backgrounded list
and I want you to click Startup Repair from it and follow the directions.

The gray screen after you click the first link in the above pic will look
like this:

http://www.windowsreinstall.com/winv...ir/Image17.gif

Click Startup Repair, the link at the top and after it scans>click OK and
let it try to repair Vista. It will tell you if it does, and if it
doesn't, try System Restore from the Recovery Link on the DVD. If these
don't work booting into Safe Mode by tapping the F8 key and using System
Restore from one of the safe modes besides VGA may work. That means you
have the option to try 4 different safe modes to get to system restore, (one
from the Recovery link on the DVD) and sometimes one will work when the
others won't.

You could also try a Repair Install with Vista which is done exactly the
same way as in XP:

***Repair Install Steps*** (can be used for Vista) MVP Doug Knox
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/u...ps/doug92.mspx

***Using the F8 Environment***

***Taking Full Advantage of the F8 Options (Windows Advanced Options Menu)
by starting the PC and tapping F8 once per second when the firmware screen
with the pc manufacturer's name shows a few seconds after restarting***:

The F8 options in Vista are the same as XP, and the link for Safe Mode Boot
options is labled XP by MSFT but they are the same for Vista (they haven't
updated to add Vista to the title as they have with several MSKBs that apply
to both).

Again, pressing F8 repeatedly when you seem the firmware screen may be is a
generic way to launch Windows RE on some OEM Vista computers.

You could also:

Think: I have 4 different ways to get back my XP at F8 and try 'em in order.
1) Safe Mode 2) Safe Mode with Cmd to Sys Restore which is simply a cmd
prompt in safe mode 3) Safe Mode with Neworking 4) LKG or Last Known Good
Configuration

Try to F8 to the Windows Adv Options Menu>try 3 safe modes there (I don't
use WGA) and Last Known Good>then I go to Win RE in Vista. That gives you a
choice of Safe Mode, Safe Mode with Networking,and Safe Mode with Command
Prompt.

These methods are outlined in

A description of the Safe Mode Boot options in Windows XP/and Vista
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/315222/

Frequently Asked Questions Regarding System Restore from MSFT:

http://www.microsoft.com/technet/pro.../faqsrwxp.mspx

System Restore can be run from the Win RE recovery environment from the same
link as Startup Repair, and sometimes it will work from one F8 safe mode
location or from the Win Recovery Environment when it won't work from other
locations.

How to start the System Restore tool at a command prompt in Windows XP

In addition you can use the Bootsect tool to manually repair the boot sector
by accessing the command prompt from the DVD or from F8 and typing at the
prompt:

Bootsect.exe is available from the \Boot\folder of the Windows Vista DVD and
can be run from within System Recovery or Windows XP on a dual boot.

1. Use Bootsect.exe to restore the Windows Vista MBR and the boot code that
transfers control to the Windows Boot Manager program. To do this, type the
following command at a command prompt: Drive:\boot\Bootsect.exe /NT60 All

In this command, Drive is the drive where the Windows Vista installation
media is located.

Note The boot folder for this step is on the DVD drive.
2. Use Bcdedit.exe to manually create an entry in the BCD Boot.ini file for
the earlier version of the Windows operating system. To do this, type the
following commands at a command prompt.

Note In these commands, Drive is the drive where Windows Vista is
installed. . Drive:\Windows\system32\Bcdedit /create {ntldr} -d "Description
for earlier Windows version"

Note In this command, Description for earlier Windows version can be any
text that you want. For example, Description for earlier Windows version can
be "Windows XP" or "Windows Server 2003".
.. Drive:\Windows\system32\Bcdedit /set {ntldr} device partition=x:

Note In this command, x: is the drive letter for the active partition.
.. Drive:\Windows\system32\Bcdedit /set {ntldr} path \ntldr
.. Drive:\Windows\system32\Bcdedit /displayorder {ntldr} -addlast

3. Restart the computer.
____________________________
******Using the BootRec.exe Tool

Using the System Recovery Tool from the Repair link on the DVD after the
language choice in the lower left hand corner you can select command prompt
and you have the following options:

Bootrec.exe (You can use this tool to recover Vista even when you do not
receive the error message that is the title of the 2nd linked MSKB below):

How to use the Bootrec.exe tool in the Windows Recovery Environment to
troubleshoot and repair startup issues in Windows Vista

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/927392/en-us

Error message when you start Windows Vista: "The Windows Boot Configuration
Data file is missing required information"
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/927391/en-us

Good luck,

CH

"Jonathan Yaniv- Windows Live Butterfly Expert" <jy@live.ca> wrote in
message news:e7b356dDIHA.4476@TK2MSFTNGP06.phx.gbl...
> And that will fix ALL Windows Vista files??
>
> --
> Thank you,
>
> Have a nice day,
>
> Jonathan Yaniv
> Microsoft Windows LiveT Butterfly Expert
>

> "Andre Da Costa [ActiveWin]" <andre@activewin.com> wrote in message
>> Insert your Windows Vista DVD, make sure your BIOS setting is set to boot
>> from the optical disk
>> Boot from the Vista DVD into the Windows Recovery Environment
>> Choose your language settings, and then click Next.
>> Click Repair your computer link on the setup page.
>> Select the operating system you want to repair, and the click Next.
>> Click Startup Repair
>> --
>> Andre
>> Blog: http://adacosta.spaces.live.com
>> My Vista Quickstart Guide:
>> http://adacosta.spaces.live.com/blog...3DB!9709.entry
>> "Jonathan Yaniv- Windows Live Butterfly Expert" <jy@live.ca> wrote in
>> message news:ef4MridDIHA.3916@TK2MSFTNGP02.phx.gbl...
>>>I would like to know how to repair Windows Vista entirely by using my
>>>Windows Vista disc, and still saving all my data, (files and programs).
>>>
>>> Can someone please explain this to me, thanks
>>>
>>> --
>>> Thank you,
>>>
>>> Have a nice day,
>>>
>>> Jonathan Yaniv
>>> Microsoft Windows LiveT Butterfly Expert

Jonathan Yaniv- Windows Live Butterfly Expert

Re: How do you repair windows entirely using your Windows Vista DVD
Thanks Chad!

Wow, that I didn't know... yes, I thought "Startup repair" was only to fix
winload.exe

I will try that definitely!!!

If that doesn't work, will upgrading vista ontop of vista work?

That wont delete any of my files, programs, or mess up the registry
right????