Windows Explorer ate my CPU alive!

TheTechSupportGeek

Windows Explorer ate my CPU alive!
I'm pretty sure this has happened to one person or another running Windows
Vista. I have a pretty standard computer, well equipped for Windows Vista
(1024MB Hard Disk, 2.1GHz Processor, the whole nine yards...). Yet sometimes
when doing my work, I notice my computer slows down a great lot!

I hit CTRL+ALT+DEL to go to Task Manager, and I see that Windows Explorer is
using all 100% of my CPU! So I force close it and open it back up again. Then
a few days later, the same thing happens. Note, this occurs no matter what
program I'm using. I could be playing a game, doing computer programming or
surfing the web! It just suddenly happens. What I want to know is WHY and HOW?
Rick Rogers

Re: Windows Explorer ate my CPU alive!
Hi,

Use process explorer to get a better handle on exactly what is not
releasing. Explorer.exe as a shell extension houses many other processes.
http://www.microsoft.com/technet/sys...sexplorer.mspx

--
Best of Luck,

http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
Windows help - www.rickrogers.org

"TheTechSupportGeek" <TheTechSupportGeek@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
message news:C441CDD1-98D0-43B0-AB0E-B0C106BFCCCC@microsoft.com...
> I'm pretty sure this has happened to one person or another running Windows
> Vista. I have a pretty standard computer, well equipped for Windows Vista
> (1024MB Hard Disk, 2.1GHz Processor, the whole nine yards...). Yet
> sometimes
> when doing my work, I notice my computer slows down a great lot!
>
> I hit CTRL+ALT+DEL to go to Task Manager, and I see that Windows Explorer
> is
> using all 100% of my CPU! So I force close it and open it back up again.
> Then
> a few days later, the same thing happens. Note, this occurs no matter what
> program I'm using. I could be playing a game, doing computer programming
> or
> surfing the web! It just suddenly happens. What I want to know is WHY and
> HOW?

TheTechSupportGeek

Re: Windows Explorer ate my CPU alive!
So what you're saying is that when Windows Explorer takes too much CPU time,
it is because of another process that is busy?

"Rick Rogers" wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Use process explorer to get a better handle on exactly what is not
> releasing. Explorer.exe as a shell extension houses many other processes.
> http://www.microsoft.com/technet/sys...sexplorer.mspx
>
> --
> Best of Luck,

> http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
> Windows help - www.rickrogers.org
>
> "TheTechSupportGeek" <TheTechSupportGeek@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
> message news:C441CDD1-98D0-43B0-AB0E-B0C106BFCCCC@microsoft.com...
> > I'm pretty sure this has happened to one person or another running Windows
> > Vista. I have a pretty standard computer, well equipped for Windows Vista
> > (1024MB Hard Disk, 2.1GHz Processor, the whole nine yards...). Yet
> > sometimes
> > when doing my work, I notice my computer slows down a great lot!
> >
> > I hit CTRL+ALT+DEL to go to Task Manager, and I see that Windows Explorer
> > is
> > using all 100% of my CPU! So I force close it and open it back up again.
> > Then
> > a few days later, the same thing happens. Note, this occurs no matter what
> > program I'm using. I could be playing a game, doing computer programming
> > or
> > surfing the web! It just suddenly happens. What I want to know is WHY and
> > HOW?

TheTechSupportGeek

Re: Windows Explorer ate my CPU alive!
I downloaded Process Explorer and even that program is telling me that
Windows Explorer is using between 89%-100% of my CPU. It's doing it as I type
right now.
All my other processes are using 0%-1.15% of my CPU. I really think it is a
problem concerning Windows Explorer and not the processes it houses as a
shell extension.

"Rick Rogers" wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Use process explorer to get a better handle on exactly what is not
> releasing. Explorer.exe as a shell extension houses many other processes.
> http://www.microsoft.com/technet/sys...sexplorer.mspx
>
> --
> Best of Luck,

> http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
> Windows help - www.rickrogers.org
>
> "TheTechSupportGeek" <TheTechSupportGeek@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
> message news:C441CDD1-98D0-43B0-AB0E-B0C106BFCCCC@microsoft.com...
> > I'm pretty sure this has happened to one person or another running Windows
> > Vista. I have a pretty standard computer, well equipped for Windows Vista
> > (1024MB Hard Disk, 2.1GHz Processor, the whole nine yards...). Yet
> > sometimes
> > when doing my work, I notice my computer slows down a great lot!
> >
> > I hit CTRL+ALT+DEL to go to Task Manager, and I see that Windows Explorer
> > is
> > using all 100% of my CPU! So I force close it and open it back up again.
> > Then
> > a few days later, the same thing happens. Note, this occurs no matter what
> > program I'm using. I could be playing a game, doing computer programming
> > or
> > surfing the web! It just suddenly happens. What I want to know is WHY and
> > HOW?

Rick Rogers

Re: Windows Explorer ate my CPU alive!
Hi,

Windows Explorer uses many of the same files and processes as Internet
Explorer. Often, plugins/addons from IE cause odd behavior in Windows
Explorer. Try going in to the Control Panel/Internet Options/Programs tab
and get into 'manage addons' and start disabling those that load with IE.

By the way, you don't have Norton/Symantec installed, do you?

--

message news:885D928D-C09B-43EA-BC98-3FA33CCF11B2@microsoft.com...
>I downloaded Process Explorer and even that program is telling me that
> Windows Explorer is using between 89%-100% of my CPU. It's doing it as I
> type
> right now.
> All my other processes are using 0%-1.15% of my CPU. I really think it is
> problem concerning Windows Explorer and not the processes it houses as a
> shell extension.
>
> "Rick Rogers" wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> Use process explorer to get a better handle on exactly what is not
>> releasing. Explorer.exe as a shell extension houses many other processes.
>> http://www.microsoft.com/technet/sys...sexplorer.mspx
>>
>> --
>> Best of Luck,

>> http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
>> Windows help - www.rickrogers.org
>>
>> "TheTechSupportGeek" <TheTechSupportGeek@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote
>> in
>> message news:C441CDD1-98D0-43B0-AB0E-B0C106BFCCCC@microsoft.com...
>> > I'm pretty sure this has happened to one person or another running
>> > Windows
>> > Vista. I have a pretty standard computer, well equipped for Windows
>> > Vista
>> > (1024MB Hard Disk, 2.1GHz Processor, the whole nine yards...). Yet
>> > sometimes
>> > when doing my work, I notice my computer slows down a great lot!
>> >
>> > I hit CTRL+ALT+DEL to go to Task Manager, and I see that Windows
>> > Explorer
>> > is
>> > using all 100% of my CPU! So I force close it and open it back up
>> > again.
>> > Then
>> > a few days later, the same thing happens. Note, this occurs no matter
>> > what
>> > program I'm using. I could be playing a game, doing computer
>> > programming
>> > or
>> > surfing the web! It just suddenly happens. What I want to know is WHY
>> > and
>> > HOW?

f/fgeorge

Re: Windows Explorer ate my CPU alive!
On Sat, 13 Oct 2007 17:07:30 -0400, "Rick Rogers" <rick@mvps.org>
wrote:

>Hi,
>
>Windows Explorer uses many of the same files and processes as Internet
>Explorer. Often, plugins/addons from IE cause odd behavior in Windows
>Explorer. Try going in to the Control Panel/Internet Options/Programs tab
>and get into 'manage addons' and start disabling those that load with IE.
>
>By the way, you don't have Norton/Symantec installed, do you?

Don't forget all those damned add-on toolbars! Some have clock, temp,
etc, etc things that auto check constantly!
TheTechSupportGeek

Re: Windows Explorer ate my CPU alive!
I understand this, but if such was the case, then both Internet Explorer and
Windows Explorer would be eating my CPU alive. Internet Explorer 99% of the
time works fine...

"Rick Rogers" wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Windows Explorer uses many of the same files and processes as Internet
> Explorer. Often, plugins/addons from IE cause odd behavior in Windows
> Explorer. Try going in to the Control Panel/Internet Options/Programs tab
> and get into 'manage addons' and start disabling those that load with IE.
>
> By the way, you don't have Norton/Symantec installed, do you?
>
> --
> Best of Luck,

> http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
> Windows help - www.rickrogers.org
>
> "TheTechSupportGeek" <TheTechSupportGeek@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
> message news:885D928D-C09B-43EA-BC98-3FA33CCF11B2@microsoft.com...
> >I downloaded Process Explorer and even that program is telling me that
> > Windows Explorer is using between 89%-100% of my CPU. It's doing it as I
> > type
> > right now.
> > All my other processes are using 0%-1.15% of my CPU. I really think it is
> > problem concerning Windows Explorer and not the processes it houses as a
> > shell extension.
> >
> > "Rick Rogers" wrote:
> >
> >> Hi,
> >>
> >> Use process explorer to get a better handle on exactly what is not
> >> releasing. Explorer.exe as a shell extension houses many other processes.
> >> http://www.microsoft.com/technet/sys...sexplorer.mspx
> >>
> >> --
> >> Best of Luck,

> >> http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
> >> Windows help - www.rickrogers.org
> >>
> >> "TheTechSupportGeek" <TheTechSupportGeek@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote
> >> in
> >> message news:C441CDD1-98D0-43B0-AB0E-B0C106BFCCCC@microsoft.com...

Rick Rogers

Re: Windows Explorer ate my CPU alive!
Yep, but all you can do is eliminate possible causes.

--

message news:7D7A8CC1-4924-48D3-A741-D179FAE4F698@microsoft.com...
>I understand this, but if such was the case, then both Internet Explorer
>and
> Windows Explorer would be eating my CPU alive. Internet Explorer 99% of
> the
> time works fine...
>
> "Rick Rogers" wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> Windows Explorer uses many of the same files and processes as Internet
>> Explorer. Often, plugins/addons from IE cause odd behavior in Windows
>> Explorer. Try going in to the Control Panel/Internet Options/Programs tab
>> and get into 'manage addons' and start disabling those that load with IE.
>>
>> By the way, you don't have Norton/Symantec installed, do you?
>>
>> --
>> Best of Luck,

>> http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
>> Windows help - www.rickrogers.org
>>
>> "TheTechSupportGeek" <TheTechSupportGeek@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote
>> in
>> message news:885D928D-C09B-43EA-BC98-3FA33CCF11B2@microsoft.com...
>> >I downloaded Process Explorer and even that program is telling me that
>> > Windows Explorer is using between 89%-100% of my CPU. It's doing it as
>> > type
>> > right now.
>> > All my other processes are using 0%-1.15% of my CPU. I really think it
>> > is
>> > problem concerning Windows Explorer and not the processes it houses as
>> > shell extension.

TheTechSupportGeek

Re: Windows Explorer ate my CPU alive!
But I don't know any other causes than Windows Explorer. Like I said, no
other program on my computer when this happens uses more than 5% of my CPU.

"Rick Rogers" wrote:

> Yep, but all you can do is eliminate possible causes.
>
> --
> Best of Luck,

> http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
> Windows help - www.rickrogers.org
>
> "TheTechSupportGeek" <TheTechSupportGeek@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
> message news:7D7A8CC1-4924-48D3-A741-D179FAE4F698@microsoft.com...
> >I understand this, but if such was the case, then both Internet Explorer
> >and
> > Windows Explorer would be eating my CPU alive. Internet Explorer 99% of
> > the
> > time works fine...
> >
> > "Rick Rogers" wrote:
> >
> >> Hi,
> >>
> >> Windows Explorer uses many of the same files and processes as Internet
> >> Explorer. Often, plugins/addons from IE cause odd behavior in Windows
> >> Explorer. Try going in to the Control Panel/Internet Options/Programs tab
> >> and get into 'manage addons' and start disabling those that load with IE.
> >>
> >> By the way, you don't have Norton/Symantec installed, do you?
> >>
> >> --
> >> Best of Luck,

> >> http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
> >> Windows help - www.rickrogers.org
> >>
> >> "TheTechSupportGeek" <TheTechSupportGeek@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote
> >> in
> >> message news:885D928D-C09B-43EA-BC98-3FA33CCF11B2@microsoft.com...

Rick Rogers

Re: Windows Explorer ate my CPU alive!
I mean that *something* must be causing explorer.exe to act this way, you
need to eliminate possible causes.

Didn't answer my question about Symantec - it's known to cause all sorts of
system issues. If it's install, my first recommendation is to uninstall it.

--

message news:07DD3264-0016-46C7-82ED-7DCF0DAB3CE9@microsoft.com...