Windows update killed audio on reboot

Jonathan Yaniv- Windows Live Butterfly Expert

Windows update killed audio on reboot
This is seriously getting on my nerves, I have never been so mad at
Microsoft.

I installed the "Critical" updates that Microsoft wants me to do, I reboot,
it "Configures updates" and then, all of a sudden, no more sound!!!

I get the error "Failed to play test tone" when I try to test my audio, and
I have installed the fix for it, but the fix did nothing, it just removed
the "sound icon" from my system tray.

Can someone (preferably Microsoft) please help me!!

Any one who has any suggestions on how to fix this, please post here

I have Windows Vista Ultimate 32 bit installed, audio driver is a Conexant
AC-Link audio driver version 6.14.10.0575

The driver works properly, Windows is stopping the audio from playing.

--
Thank you,

Have a nice day,

Jonathan Yaniv
Microsoft Windows LiveT Butterfly Expert

Cal Bear '66

Re: Windows update killed audio on reboot
As another poster suggested, you should go to Control Panel (Classic view) >
Device Manager > expand Sound, video and game controllers, UNINSTALL the
Conexant audio device and reboot to see it Windows can detect and reinstall the
drivers.

Also, have you looked for updated Vista Conexant drivers from Conexant, your
computer manufacturer, or your motherboard manufacturer? You probably should
find updated drivers before you delete the device in Device Manager.

And, multi-posting is a very bad thing to do. You should cross-post to all the
groups you think might help you.

I Bleed Blue and Gold
GO BEARS!

"Jonathan Yaniv- Windows Live Butterfly Expert" <jy@live.ca> wrote in message
> This is seriously getting on my nerves, I have never been so mad at Microsoft.
>
> I installed the "Critical" updates that Microsoft wants me to do, I reboot, it
> "Configures updates" and then, all of a sudden, no more sound!!!
>
> I get the error "Failed to play test tone" when I try to test my audio, and I
> have installed the fix for it, but the fix did nothing, it just removed the
> "sound icon" from my system tray.
>
> Can someone (preferably Microsoft) please help me!!
>

> Any one who has any suggestions on how to fix this, please post here
>
> I have Windows Vista Ultimate 32 bit installed, audio driver is a Conexant
> AC-Link audio driver version 6.14.10.0575
>
> The driver works properly, Windows is stopping the audio from playing.
>

> --
> Thank you,
>
> Have a nice day,
>
> Jonathan Yaniv
> Microsoft Windows LiveT Butterfly Expert

Jonathan Yaniv

Re: Windows update killed audio on reboot

I have tried that several times

still no go

"Cal Bear '66" wrote:

> As another poster suggested, you should go to Control Panel (Classic view) >
> Device Manager > expand Sound, video and game controllers, UNINSTALL the
> Conexant audio device and reboot to see it Windows can detect and reinstall the
> drivers.
>
> Also, have you looked for updated Vista Conexant drivers from Conexant, your
> computer manufacturer, or your motherboard manufacturer? You probably should
> find updated drivers before you delete the device in Device Manager.
>
> And, multi-posting is a very bad thing to do. You should cross-post to all the
> groups you think might help you.
>

> I Bleed Blue and Gold
> GO BEARS!
>

> "Jonathan Yaniv- Windows Live Butterfly Expert" <jy@live.ca> wrote in message
> > This is seriously getting on my nerves, I have never been so mad at Microsoft.
> >
> > I installed the "Critical" updates that Microsoft wants me to do, I reboot, it
> > "Configures updates" and then, all of a sudden, no more sound!!!
> >
> > I get the error "Failed to play test tone" when I try to test my audio, and I
> > have installed the fix for it, but the fix did nothing, it just removed the
> > "sound icon" from my system tray.
> >
> > Can someone (preferably Microsoft) please help me!!
> >

> > Any one who has any suggestions on how to fix this, please post here
> >
> > I have Windows Vista Ultimate 32 bit installed, audio driver is a Conexant
> > AC-Link audio driver version 6.14.10.0575
> >
> > The driver works properly, Windows is stopping the audio from playing.
> >

> > --
> > Thank you,
> >
> > Have a nice day,
> >
> > Jonathan Yaniv
> > Microsoft Windows LiveT Butterfly Expert

Cal Bear '66

Re: Windows update killed audio on reboot
What was this "fix" that removed the Speaker icon from the Notification Area?

Have you tried a System Restore to a point before the Windows update, or
preferably before this "fix"?

I Bleed Blue and Gold
GO BEARS!

"Jonathan Yaniv" <JonathanYaniv@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

> I have tried that several times
>
> still no go
>
> "Cal Bear '66" wrote:
>
>> As another poster suggested, you should go to Control Panel (Classic view) >
>> Device Manager > expand Sound, video and game controllers, UNINSTALL the
>> Conexant audio device and reboot to see it Windows can detect and reinstall
>> the
>> drivers.
>>
>> Also, have you looked for updated Vista Conexant drivers from Conexant, your
>> computer manufacturer, or your motherboard manufacturer? You probably should
>> find updated drivers before you delete the device in Device Manager.
>>
>> And, multi-posting is a very bad thing to do. You should cross-post to all
>> the
>> groups you think might help you.
>>

>> I Bleed Blue and Gold
>> GO BEARS!
>>

>> "Jonathan Yaniv- Windows Live Butterfly Expert" <jy@live.ca> wrote in message
>> > This is seriously getting on my nerves, I have never been so mad at
>> > Microsoft.
>> >
>> > I installed the "Critical" updates that Microsoft wants me to do, I reboot,
>> > it
>> > "Configures updates" and then, all of a sudden, no more sound!!!
>> >
>> > I get the error "Failed to play test tone" when I try to test my audio, and
>> > have installed the fix for it, but the fix did nothing, it just removed the
>> > "sound icon" from my system tray.
>> >
>> > Can someone (preferably Microsoft) please help me!!
>> >

>> > Any one who has any suggestions on how to fix this, please post here
>> >
>> > I have Windows Vista Ultimate 32 bit installed, audio driver is a Conexant
>> > AC-Link audio driver version 6.14.10.0575
>> >
>> > The driver works properly, Windows is stopping the audio from playing.
>> >

>> > --
>> > Thank you,
>> >
>> > Have a nice day,
>> >
>> > Jonathan Yaniv
>> > Microsoft Windows LiveT Butterfly Expert

Jonathan Yaniv

Re: Windows update killed audio on reboot

I havent tried that

But i doubt it will help, since the sound didnt work even before i applied
the fix.

"Cal Bear '66" wrote:

> What was this "fix" that removed the Speaker icon from the Notification Area?
>
> Have you tried a System Restore to a point before the Windows update, or
> preferably before this "fix"?
>

> I Bleed Blue and Gold
> GO BEARS!
>

> "Jonathan Yaniv" <JonathanYaniv@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >
> > I have tried that several times
> >
> > still no go
> >
> > "Cal Bear '66" wrote:
> >
> >> As another poster suggested, you should go to Control Panel (Classic view) >
> >> Device Manager > expand Sound, video and game controllers, UNINSTALL the
> >> Conexant audio device and reboot to see it Windows can detect and reinstall
> >> the
> >> drivers.
> >>
> >> Also, have you looked for updated Vista Conexant drivers from Conexant, your
> >> computer manufacturer, or your motherboard manufacturer? You probably should
> >> find updated drivers before you delete the device in Device Manager.
> >>
> >> And, multi-posting is a very bad thing to do. You should cross-post to all
> >> the
> >> groups you think might help you.
> >>

> >> I Bleed Blue and Gold
> >> GO BEARS!

Cal Bear '66

Re: Windows update killed audio on reboot
I think this "fix" is the real problem since it removed the Speaker icon, if you
get the Speaker icon back, then reinstalling your audio drivers very well might
work.

You do have the latest Vista audio drivers, don't you?

> I havent tried that
>
> But i doubt it will help, since the sound didnt work even before i applied
> the fix.
>

> "Cal Bear '66" wrote:
>
>> What was this "fix" that removed the Speaker icon from the Notification Area?
>>
>> Have you tried a System Restore to a point before the Windows update, or
>> preferably before this "fix"?
>>

>> I Bleed Blue and Gold
>> GO BEARS!
>>

>> "Jonathan Yaniv" <JonathanYaniv@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> >
>> > I have tried that several times
>> >
>> > still no go

Jonathan Yaniv

Re: Windows update killed audio on reboot
Like, I can go into the sound mixer and adjust the levels

But still, no sound comes out...

"Cal Bear '66" wrote:

> I think this "fix" is the real problem since it removed the Speaker icon, if you
> get the Speaker icon back, then reinstalling your audio drivers very well might
> work.
>
> You do have the latest Vista audio drivers, don't you?
>
> I Bleed Blue and Gold
> GO BEARS!
>

> "Jonathan Yaniv" <JonathanYaniv@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >
> > I havent tried that
> >
> > But i doubt it will help, since the sound didnt work even before i applied
> > the fix.
> >

> > "Cal Bear '66" wrote:
> >
> >> What was this "fix" that removed the Speaker icon from the Notification Area?
> >>
> >> Have you tried a System Restore to a point before the Windows update, or
> >> preferably before this "fix"?
> >>

> >> I Bleed Blue and Gold
> >> GO BEARS!

Cal Bear '66

Re: Windows update killed audio on reboot
I think your best shot is to do a System Restore and then reinstall the drivers?

If there is no Speaker icon in the Notification Area, how do you get to the
Mixer? Do you mean the Level tab on the Speaker Properties in the Sound applet
in Control Panel?

> Like, I can go into the sound mixer and adjust the levels
>
> But still, no sound comes out...
>

> "Cal Bear '66" wrote:
>
>> I think this "fix" is the real problem since it removed the Speaker icon, if
>> you
>> get the Speaker icon back, then reinstalling your audio drivers very well
>> might
>> work.
>>
>> You do have the latest Vista audio drivers, don't you?
>>
>> I Bleed Blue and Gold
>> GO BEARS!
>>

>> "Jonathan Yaniv" <JonathanYaniv@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> >
>> > I havent tried that
>> >
>> > But i doubt it will help, since the sound didnt work even before i applied
>> > the fix.

Jonathan Yaniv- Windows Live Butterfly Expert

Re: Windows update killed audio on reboot
Start button
Search: "sound"
Enter

--

"Cal Bear '66" <xxx@xxx.org> wrote in message
> I think your best shot is to do a System Restore and then reinstall the
> drivers?
>
> If there is no Speaker icon in the Notification Area, how do you get to
> the Mixer? Do you mean the Level tab on the Speaker Properties in the
> Sound applet in Control Panel?
>

> I Bleed Blue and Gold
> GO BEARS!
>

> "Jonathan Yaniv" <JonathanYaniv@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
> message news:156D1AAB-A79F-4BCC-81E5-B418F4567CC4@microsoft.com...
>> Like, I can go into the sound mixer and adjust the levels
>>
>> But still, no sound comes out...
>>

>> "Cal Bear '66" wrote:
>>
>>> I think this "fix" is the real problem since it removed the Speaker
>>> icon, if you
>>> get the Speaker icon back, then reinstalling your audio drivers very
>>> well might
>>> work.
>>>
>>> You do have the latest Vista audio drivers, don't you?
>>>
>>> I Bleed Blue and Gold
>>> GO BEARS!
>>>

>>> "Jonathan Yaniv" <JonathanYaniv@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
>>> message

TheTechSupportGeek

RE: Windows update killed audio on reboot
I may not be from Microsoft, but I have the best and safest solution. Use
"System Restore". Everytime Windows Update installs ANYTHING on your
computer, it will most likely create a Restore point to which should
something go wrong, you can revert your computer's drivers and settings to
that point BEFORE the harmful changes were made. All you need to know is when
the update was installed, and you're good to go.