Vista Won't Hybrid Sleep/Hybernate anymore

Rich

Vista Won't Hybrid Sleep/Hybernate anymore
Vista Premium, Installed as 32bit on an x64 system
Asus M2N-E motherboard
Asus GeForce 8800GTX
Azuntech X-Meridian soundcard
Microsoft Media Center Remote/Receiver
Logitech Bluetooth Mouse/Receiver

System is setup as a Media Center.
For several months everything worked fine.
System would wake up from sleep to record a show then go back to sleep.

Now system wakes up and stays up... this is really annoying.

Have gone into Power Options and edited the Power Saver plan including
Multimedia settings (allow the computer to sleep when sharing media) and set
both on battery and plugged in settings to power saving. Yes I have a battery
backup.

Have gone into Device Manager, Universal Serial Bus Controllers, eHome
Infrared Receiver (USBCIR) Power Management and DECHECKED the "Allow this
device to wake computer" and ALL OTHER devices that had the Power Management
tab. Also did the same under the Human Interface Devices, Keyboardsm Mice and
other Pointing Devices and Network Adapters.

Have gone into Media Player and turned OFF media sharing.

What the hell Mel?

Looked through other postings, seems there's a theme with Vista and
something Microsoft should step up to and address. If using the default Power
Options doesn't do the trick, then maybe Microsoft should IMPROVE the
capabilities of the Power Options to actually do what it's supposed to?

Appreciate feedback on anything I've missed.

- Rich
Michael Walraven

Re: Vista Won't Hybrid Sleep/Hybernate anymore
Rich,

I think that if there are open shared files that Vista will also not go to
sleep by itself.

check at
Computer Management
System Tools
Shared Folders
Open Files

Michael

"Rich" <Rich@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Vista Premium, Installed as 32bit on an x64 system
> Asus M2N-E motherboard
> Asus GeForce 8800GTX
> Azuntech X-Meridian soundcard
> Microsoft Media Center Remote/Receiver
> Logitech Bluetooth Mouse/Receiver
>
> System is setup as a Media Center.
> For several months everything worked fine.
> System would wake up from sleep to record a show then go back to sleep.
>
> Now system wakes up and stays up... this is really annoying.
>
> Have gone into Power Options and edited the Power Saver plan including
> Multimedia settings (allow the computer to sleep when sharing media) and
> set
> both on battery and plugged in settings to power saving. Yes I have a
> battery
> backup.
>
> Have gone into Device Manager, Universal Serial Bus Controllers, eHome
> Infrared Receiver (USBCIR) Power Management and DECHECKED the "Allow this
> device to wake computer" and ALL OTHER devices that had the Power
> Management
> tab. Also did the same under the Human Interface Devices, Keyboardsm Mice
> and
> other Pointing Devices and Network Adapters.
>
> Have gone into Media Player and turned OFF media sharing.
>
> What the hell Mel?
>
> Looked through other postings, seems there's a theme with Vista and
> something Microsoft should step up to and address. If using the default
> Power
> Options doesn't do the trick, then maybe Microsoft should IMPROVE the
> capabilities of the Power Options to actually do what it's supposed to?
>
> Appreciate feedback on anything I've missed.
>
> - Rich

Paul Smith

Re: Vista Won't Hybrid Sleep/Hybernate anymore
Any files open across the network can keep the machine awake.

--
Paul Smith,
Yeovil, UK.

*Remove nospam. to reply by e-mail*

"Rich" <Rich@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Vista Premium, Installed as 32bit on an x64 system
> Asus M2N-E motherboard
> Asus GeForce 8800GTX
> Azuntech X-Meridian soundcard
> Microsoft Media Center Remote/Receiver
> Logitech Bluetooth Mouse/Receiver
>
> System is setup as a Media Center.
> For several months everything worked fine.
> System would wake up from sleep to record a show then go back to sleep.
>
> Now system wakes up and stays up... this is really annoying.
>
> Have gone into Power Options and edited the Power Saver plan including
> Multimedia settings (allow the computer to sleep when sharing media) and
> set
> both on battery and plugged in settings to power saving. Yes I have a
> battery
> backup.
>
> Have gone into Device Manager, Universal Serial Bus Controllers, eHome
> Infrared Receiver (USBCIR) Power Management and DECHECKED the "Allow this
> device to wake computer" and ALL OTHER devices that had the Power
> Management
> tab. Also did the same under the Human Interface Devices, Keyboardsm Mice
> and
> other Pointing Devices and Network Adapters.
>
> Have gone into Media Player and turned OFF media sharing.
>
> What the hell Mel?
>
> Looked through other postings, seems there's a theme with Vista and
> something Microsoft should step up to and address. If using the default
> Power
> Options doesn't do the trick, then maybe Microsoft should IMPROVE the
> capabilities of the Power Options to actually do what it's supposed to?
>
> Appreciate feedback on anything I've missed.
>
> - Rich

Rich

Re: Vista Won't Hybrid Sleep/Hybernate anymore
Looking at Computer Managenent console, Shares/Sessions/Open Files
- No open or shared files.

- I use MSN and ensure to shut down (task manager) MSN messenger (which I
never use) after checking email.

- I don't even have Office installed on this machine.

- No public shares
- No multimedia streaming/shares enabled

Again, it worked for months just fine. The only added software on this
machine are the Microsoft updates which auto install.

I tried turning off automatic updating, killed the Antivirus (Avast license)
and even disabled Windows Defender... still no joy.

BIOS is up to date, S1/S3 active.

"Michael Walraven" wrote:

> Rich,
>
> I think that if there are open shared files that Vista will also not go to
> sleep by itself.
>
> check at
> Computer Management
> System Tools
> Shared Folders
> Open Files
>
> Michael
>
> "Rich" <Rich@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Vista Premium, Installed as 32bit on an x64 system
> > Asus M2N-E motherboard
> > Asus GeForce 8800GTX
> > Azuntech X-Meridian soundcard
> > Microsoft Media Center Remote/Receiver
> > Logitech Bluetooth Mouse/Receiver
> >
> > System is setup as a Media Center.
> > For several months everything worked fine.
> > System would wake up from sleep to record a show then go back to sleep.
> >
> > Now system wakes up and stays up... this is really annoying.
> >
> > Have gone into Power Options and edited the Power Saver plan including
> > Multimedia settings (allow the computer to sleep when sharing media) and
> > set
> > both on battery and plugged in settings to power saving. Yes I have a
> > battery
> > backup.
> >
> > Have gone into Device Manager, Universal Serial Bus Controllers, eHome
> > Infrared Receiver (USBCIR) Power Management and DECHECKED the "Allow this
> > device to wake computer" and ALL OTHER devices that had the Power
> > Management
> > tab. Also did the same under the Human Interface Devices, Keyboardsm Mice
> > and
> > other Pointing Devices and Network Adapters.
> >
> > Have gone into Media Player and turned OFF media sharing.
> >
> > What the hell Mel?
> >
> > Looked through other postings, seems there's a theme with Vista and
> > something Microsoft should step up to and address. If using the default
> > Power
> > Options doesn't do the trick, then maybe Microsoft should IMPROVE the
> > capabilities of the Power Options to actually do what it's supposed to?
> >
> > Appreciate feedback on anything I've missed.
> >
> > - Rich

Michael Walraven

Re: Vista Won't Hybrid Sleep/Hybernate anymore
Rich,

Clutching at straws here:

Two other things have prevented my machine from sleeping when I was using
XP, probably would have same effect in Vista.

I once had a screensaver that was apparently badly made. It continued to run
even after the monitor was turned off prior to sleep but never allowed the
sleep mode to be entered. (I would have a black screen but everything
powered up otherwise.)

I once installed a public program to help in molecular folding (one of those
group participation programs). The program took over when the computer was
idle (so never interfered with operations) but by so doing the computer was
never 'idle' so again would not sleep.

You might install a cpu usage gadget in the sidebar that shows cpu usage to
verify that when you are doing nothing that CPU usage goes down to near zero
percent. (I installed one from the Microsoft site named Multimeter - as I
have dual core machine).

Not much help I am afraid.

> Looking at Computer Managenent console, Shares/Sessions/Open Files
> - No open or shared files.
>
> - I use MSN and ensure to shut down (task manager) MSN messenger (which I
> never use) after checking email.
>
> - I don't even have Office installed on this machine.
>
> - No public shares
> - No multimedia streaming/shares enabled
>
> Again, it worked for months just fine. The only added software on this
> machine are the Microsoft updates which auto install.
>
> I tried turning off automatic updating, killed the Antivirus (Avast
> license)
> and even disabled Windows Defender... still no joy.
>
> BIOS is up to date, S1/S3 active.
>

> "Michael Walraven" wrote:
>
>> Rich,
>>
>> I think that if there are open shared files that Vista will also not go
>> sleep by itself.
>>
>> check at
>> Computer Management
>> System Tools
>> Shared Folders
>> Open Files
>>
>> Michael
>>
>> "Rich" <Rich@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> > Vista Premium, Installed as 32bit on an x64 system
>> > Asus M2N-E motherboard
>> > Asus GeForce 8800GTX
>> > Azuntech X-Meridian soundcard
>> > Microsoft Media Center Remote/Receiver
>> > Logitech Bluetooth Mouse/Receiver
>> >
>> > System is setup as a Media Center.
>> > For several months everything worked fine.
>> > System would wake up from sleep to record a show then go back to sleep.
>> >
>> > Now system wakes up and stays up... this is really annoying.
>> >
>> > Have gone into Power Options and edited the Power Saver plan including
>> > Multimedia settings (allow the computer to sleep when sharing media)
>> > and
>> > set
>> > both on battery and plugged in settings to power saving. Yes I have a
>> > battery
>> > backup.
>> >
>> > Have gone into Device Manager, Universal Serial Bus Controllers, eHome
>> > Infrared Receiver (USBCIR) Power Management and DECHECKED the "Allow
>> > this
>> > device to wake computer" and ALL OTHER devices that had the Power
>> > Management
>> > tab. Also did the same under the Human Interface Devices, Keyboardsm
>> > Mice
>> > and
>> > other Pointing Devices and Network Adapters.
>> >
>> > Have gone into Media Player and turned OFF media sharing.
>> >
>> > What the hell Mel?
>> >
>> > Looked through other postings, seems there's a theme with Vista and
>> > something Microsoft should step up to and address. If using the default
>> > Power
>> > Options doesn't do the trick, then maybe Microsoft should IMPROVE the
>> > capabilities of the Power Options to actually do what it's supposed to?
>> >
>> > Appreciate feedback on anything I've missed.
>> >
>> > - Rich

Rich

Re: Vista Won't Hybrid Sleep/Hybernate anymore
Screensaver is the one labeled "blank". No options, just blanks the screen.

No crunching programs installed to map the galaxy, look for lost pilots, or
help weather researchers, nothing... It's my media center. I simply don't
install software on this other than Microsoft updates.

Have the dual CPU monitor sidebar, but only shows during boot. Otherwise I
disable sidebar and the sidebar gadgets for normal operation of the computer.
When just watching and not doing anything, it averages about 5%-8% CPU usage
with 28% of RAM utilized.

The biggest chucnks of memory used are for Desktop Window Manager, Internet
Explorer (since I am in IE at the moment), Windows Explore.

Actually here's a list of Processes running:

crss.exe 1,368k
winlogon.exe 1,588k
dwm.exe 34,936k
ieuser.exe 2,232k
iexplore.exe 36,704k
ehmsas.exe (MCE media status aggregator service) 928k
ehtray.exe (MCE tray applet) 1,088k
unsecapp.exe (sink to receive asynchronus callabacks for WMI client) 1,220k
taskeng.exe (task schedule engine) (note, nothing in scheduled task lists)
3,700k
MSASCui.exe (Windows Defender UI) 3,972k
explorer.exe (Windows Explorer) 21,556k
rundll32.exe 2,104k (file path linked to C:\Windows\System32, no services
link)
rundll32.exe 1,504k (file path linked to C:\Windows\System32, no services
link)
rundll32.exe 2,020k (file path linked to C:\Windows\System32, no services
link)
taskmgr.exe (Windows Task Manager) 2,548k

The only running services are all Microsoft with the exception of the
Antivirus app as listed below:

AelookupSvc (Application Experience)
aswUpdSv (anti virus)
AudioEndpointBuilder (Windows Audio Endpoint Builder)
Audiosrv (Windows Audio)
avast! Antivirus (anti virus)
avast! Mail Scanner (anti virus)
avast! Web Scanner (anti virus)
BFE (Base Filtering Engine)
BITS Background Intelligent Transfer Service)
Browser (Computer Browser)
CertPropSvc (Certifcate Propagation)
CcryptSvx Cryptographic services)
DcomLaunch (DCOM Server Process Launcher)
Dhcp (DHCP Client)
Dnscache (DNS Client)
DPS (Diagnostic Policy Service)
ehRecvr (Microsoft Ehome Receiver Service)
ehSched (Windows Media Center Scheduler Service)
EMDMgmt (ReadyBoost) (note no USB media sticks plugged in)
EventLog (Widows Event Log)
EventSystem (COM+ Event System)
fdpHost (Function Discovery Provider)
FDResPub (Function Discovery Resource Publication)
gpsvc (Group Policy Client)
hidserv (Human Interface Device Access)
IKEEXT (IKE and AuthIP IPsec Keying Modules)
IPBusEnum (PnP-X IP Bus Enumerator)
iphlpsvc (IP Helper)
KtmRm (KtmRm for Distributed Transaction Coordinator)
LanmanServer (Server)
LanmanWorkstation (Workstation)
lmhosts (TCP/IP NetBios Helper)
Mcx2Svc (Windows Media Center Extender Service) (No I do not use this)
MMCSS (MultiMedia Class Scheduler)
MpsSvc (Windows Firewall)
Netman (Network Connections)
netprofm (Network List Service)
NlaSvc (Network location awareness)
nsi (Network Store interface service)
PcsSvc (Program Compatabilty Service)
PlayPlay (Plug and Play)
PolicyAgent (IPsec Policy Agent)
ProfSvc (User Profile Service)
RasMan (Remove Access Connection Manager)
RpcSs (Remote Procesure Call (RPC))
SamSs (Security Accounts Manager)
Schedule (Task Scheduler)
seclogon (Secondary logon)
SENS (System Event Notifiction Service)
SessionEnv (Terminal Services Configuration)
ShellHWDetection (Shell hardware detection)
slsvc (Software licensing)
Spooler (Print Spooler) (*no connected printer to this machine)
stisvc (Windows Image Aquisition WIA) (*no scanners or cameras connected)
SysMain (SuperFetch)
TabletInputService (Tablet PC Input Service) (*no tablets connected)
TapiSvr (Telephony) (*no modems on this machine)
TermService (Terminal Services)
Themes (Themes)
TrkWks (Distributed Link Tracking Client)
UmRdpService (Terminal Services UserMode Port Redirector)
upnphost (UPnP Device Host)
UxSms (Desktop Window Manager Session Manager)
W32Time (Windows Time)
WdiSystemHost (Diagnostic System Host)
Webclient (Webclient)
WerSvc (Windows Error Reporting Service)
WinDefend (Windows Defender)
Winmgmt (Windows Management Instrumentation)
WMPNetworkSvc (Windows Media Player Network Sharing Service (*disabled in
Media Player)
WPDBusEnum (Portable Device Enumerator Service)
wscsvx (Security Center)
WSearch (Windows Search)
wuaiserv (Windows Update)
wudfsvx (Windows Driver Foundation - user mode driver framework)

"Michael Walraven" wrote:

> Rich,
>
> Clutching at straws here:
>
> Two other things have prevented my machine from sleeping when I was using
> XP, probably would have same effect in Vista.
>
> I once had a screensaver that was apparently badly made. It continued to run
> even after the monitor was turned off prior to sleep but never allowed the
> sleep mode to be entered. (I would have a black screen but everything
> powered up otherwise.)
>
> I once installed a public program to help in molecular folding (one of those
> group participation programs). The program took over when the computer was
> idle (so never interfered with operations) but by so doing the computer was
> never 'idle' so again would not sleep.
>
> You might install a cpu usage gadget in the sidebar that shows cpu usage to
> verify that when you are doing nothing that CPU usage goes down to near zero
> percent. (I installed one from the Microsoft site named Multimeter - as I
> have dual core machine).
>
> Not much help I am afraid.
>
> Michael
>

> "Rich" <Rich@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Looking at Computer Managenent console, Shares/Sessions/Open Files
> > - No open or shared files.
> >
> > - I use MSN and ensure to shut down (task manager) MSN messenger (which I
> > never use) after checking email.
> >
> > - I don't even have Office installed on this machine.
> >
> > - No public shares
> > - No multimedia streaming/shares enabled
> >
> > Again, it worked for months just fine. The only added software on this
> > machine are the Microsoft updates which auto install.
> >
> > I tried turning off automatic updating, killed the Antivirus (Avast
> > license)
> > and even disabled Windows Defender... still no joy.
> >
> > BIOS is up to date, S1/S3 active.
> >

> > "Michael Walraven" wrote:
> >
> >> Rich,
> >>
> >> I think that if there are open shared files that Vista will also not go
> >> sleep by itself.
> >>
> >> check at
> >> Computer Management
> >> System Tools
> >> Shared Folders
> >> Open Files
> >>
> >> Michael

Michael Walraven

Re: Vista Won't Hybrid Sleep/Hybernate anymore
Rich,

You have exhausted my limited experience with this particular failure.
Hope you eventualy find the problem and fix it, If you do please get back
with your findings.

> [...]
>> percent. (I installed one from the Microsoft site named Multimeter - as I
>> have dual core machine).
>>
>> Not much help I am afraid.
>>
>> Michael
>>

>> "Rich" <Rich@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> > Looking at Computer Managenent console, Shares/Sessions/Open Files
>> > - No open or shared files.
>> >
>> > - I use MSN and ensure to shut down (task manager) MSN messenger (which
>> > never use) after checking email.
>> >
>> > - I don't even have Office installed on this machine.
>> >
>> > - No public shares
>> > - No multimedia streaming/shares enabled
>> >
>> > Again, it worked for months just fine. The only added software on this
>> > machine are the Microsoft updates which auto install.
>> >
>> > I tried turning off automatic updating, killed the Antivirus (Avast
>> > license)
>> > and even disabled Windows Defender... still no joy.

renderman

Michael Walraven;3225610 Wrote:
> [...]

> everything
> >> powered up otherwise.)
> >>
> >> I once installed a public program to help in molecular folding (one

> of
> >> those
> >> group participation programs). The program took over when the

> computer
> >> was
> >> idle (so never interfered with operations) but by so doing the

> computer
> >> was
> >> never 'idle' so again would not sleep.
> >>
> >> You might install a cpu usage gadget in the sidebar that shows cpu

> usage
> >> verify that when you are doing nothing that CPU usage goes down to

> near
> >> zero
> >> percent. (I installed one from the Microsoft site named Multimeter -

Rich have you tried changing the Allow hybrid sleep option? I had a
related issue (although it appears not quite the same) where after I
configured my Xbox 360 as a Media Extender my Dell computer wouldn't
ever go to a true sleep mode. I had to turn off the hybrid sleep
option before it fixed my issue. Not sure if this mode will still
allow your computer to wake up during a scheduled recording though.

--
renderman
renderman's Profile: http://forums.techarena.in/member.php?userid=33194

http://forums.techarena.in

Mark

RE: Vista Won't Hybrid Sleep/Hybernate anymore
This worked for me with similar symptoms:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/929658