Request for comments about Sleep feature

Yosemite Sam

Request for comments about Sleep feature
Sleep doesn't work on my system, Windows Vista Home Basic. Something in
Vista keeps waking it up, sometimes after a few minutes, sometimes longer.

Vista has, in effect, trashed the Sleep feature. You put the computer to
sleep to save power while you're away from the computer -- and then Vista
puts it right back into full power usage, when nobody is there to put it
back to sleep.

If you have tried to use Sleep, tell me what happens on your machine.

The following is a lot of technical details, if you're interested, about how
I got Sleep to work. It looks like it doesn't apply to some problems, like
the one js2k6 mentioned recently.

I noted on my System Log that whenever Vista woke itself up from sleep,
there was always a log entry for "Resource Publication" two or three seconds
prior to the log entry for resuming from Sleep. So I started searching for
info on Resource Publication.

One of the things I ran across was this:

http://blogs.msdn.com/jledgard/archi...t-windows.aspx

and tried disabling (go to Control Panel - Administrative Tools - System
Configuration - Services tab) all the things he mentioned. I assume that
some of these are irrelevant to Sleep, e.g. "Themes". He seems to have a
different version of Vista, because my Home Basic doesn't have "VS 2005
Remote Debugger" or "Routing and Remote Access". I think, though, my
version of Vista has Remote Access Auto Connection, Remote Access Connection
Manager, Remote Registry, and Remote Procedure Call (RPC) instead of a
single lump called "Routing and Remote Access".

When I disabled all that stuff, Sleep worked fine -- but I could no longer
dial in to my ISP. If you aren't using dial-up, this probably won't matter
to you. I re-enabled several services and then re-disabled them in small
groups. It seems that all I needed to keep active is "Remote Access
Connection Manager" in order to dial in. One of the other "Remote" services
is waking Vista up from sleep.

So now, Sleep works on my machine, and I can still dial in.

YS