Vista black screen and cursor after login

jeanray@gmail.com

Vista black screen and cursor after login
Hi there,

I installed some updates for Vista Enterprise yesterday (the 10th of
October) prior to leaving the office. When I returned this morning
(the 11th), turned my machine on, I got to the Windows login screen,
was able to logon, however, instead of a desktop, I receive a black
screen with a cursor that I can move around.

I've searched the groups, google, etc, the common message seems to be
to press CTRL-ALT-DELETE and close/start explorer.exe. However, when I
press CTRL-ALT-DEL, the only options I'm given is to "Lock This
Computer", "Switch Users", "Logoff" and "Change a password". I can
also shutdown the computer. There is no option for task manager.

I've tried rebooting into Safe Mode with the same result (I see the
Safe mode banner after login, but nothing else). "Last known good
configuration" also yielded the same result (it didn't work). Enabling
Default VGA mode was the same and didn't work as well.

I am now fully locked from my computer and have no idea how to get
back. All this because of some damn Windows update (I was running
Vista fine for a few months prior to this happening).

Need some help please.

JR

Juan Diego

RE: Vista black screen and cursor after login
I have the same issue. I am using Vista Premium and I did the installation
yesterday.

JDM

"jeanray@gmail.com" wrote:

> Hi there,
>
> I installed some updates for Vista Enterprise yesterday (the 10th of
> October) prior to leaving the office. When I returned this morning
> (the 11th), turned my machine on, I got to the Windows login screen,
> was able to logon, however, instead of a desktop, I receive a black
> screen with a cursor that I can move around.
>
> I've searched the groups, google, etc, the common message seems to be
> to press CTRL-ALT-DELETE and close/start explorer.exe. However, when I
> press CTRL-ALT-DEL, the only options I'm given is to "Lock This
> Computer", "Switch Users", "Logoff" and "Change a password". I can
> also shutdown the computer. There is no option for task manager.
>
> I've tried rebooting into Safe Mode with the same result (I see the
> Safe mode banner after login, but nothing else). "Last known good
> configuration" also yielded the same result (it didn't work). Enabling
> Default VGA mode was the same and didn't work as well.
>
> I am now fully locked from my computer and have no idea how to get
> back. All this because of some damn Windows update (I was running
> Vista fine for a few months prior to this happening).
>
> Need some help please.
>
> JR

Chris

RE: Vista black screen and cursor after login
Install USB Cumulative update in KB941600. I had the same issue with
Ultimate and after the third black screen with cursor I BSOD and it pulled
this update. I have had zero problems since.

"jeanray@gmail.com" wrote:

> Hi there,
>
> I installed some updates for Vista Enterprise yesterday (the 10th of
> October) prior to leaving the office. When I returned this morning
> (the 11th), turned my machine on, I got to the Windows login screen,
> was able to logon, however, instead of a desktop, I receive a black
> screen with a cursor that I can move around.
>
> I've searched the groups, google, etc, the common message seems to be
> to press CTRL-ALT-DELETE and close/start explorer.exe. However, when I
> press CTRL-ALT-DEL, the only options I'm given is to "Lock This
> Computer", "Switch Users", "Logoff" and "Change a password". I can
> also shutdown the computer. There is no option for task manager.
>
> I've tried rebooting into Safe Mode with the same result (I see the
> Safe mode banner after login, but nothing else). "Last known good
> configuration" also yielded the same result (it didn't work). Enabling
> Default VGA mode was the same and didn't work as well.
>
> I am now fully locked from my computer and have no idea how to get
> back. All this because of some damn Windows update (I was running
> Vista fine for a few months prior to this happening).
>
> Need some help please.
>
> JR

TheTechSupportGeek

RE: Vista black screen and cursor after login
How ironic! That happened to me just two hours ago! The cause of my problem
(and probably your problem too) is that Windows Explorer (the program that
shows the taskbar, folders, icons, Start menu, etc.) had failed to open. Your
best solution is to:

1.) Hit CTRL+ALT+DEL
2.) Select "Start Task Manager"
3.) In "Task Manger", select "File/New Task (Run)"
4.) Type in "explorer" (being "Windows Explorer)
5.) Press ENTER.

Everything including your wallpaper should show up immediately. Let me know
if this helps!

"jeanray@gmail.com" wrote:

> Hi there,
>
> I installed some updates for Vista Enterprise yesterday (the 10th of
> October) prior to leaving the office. When I returned this morning
> (the 11th), turned my machine on, I got to the Windows login screen,
> was able to logon, however, instead of a desktop, I receive a black
> screen with a cursor that I can move around.
>
> I've searched the groups, google, etc, the common message seems to be
> to press CTRL-ALT-DELETE and close/start explorer.exe. However, when I
> press CTRL-ALT-DEL, the only options I'm given is to "Lock This
> Computer", "Switch Users", "Logoff" and "Change a password". I can
> also shutdown the computer. There is no option for task manager.
>
> I've tried rebooting into Safe Mode with the same result (I see the
> Safe mode banner after login, but nothing else). "Last known good
> configuration" also yielded the same result (it didn't work). Enabling
> Default VGA mode was the same and didn't work as well.
>
> I am now fully locked from my computer and have no idea how to get
> back. All this because of some damn Windows update (I was running
> Vista fine for a few months prior to this happening).
>
> Need some help please.
>
> JR

JR A.

Re: Vista black screen and cursor after login
The problem is, when I hit CTRL-ALT-DEL I don't see the task manager :
(

It's not an option.

Cal Bear '66

Re: Vista black screen and cursor after login
If you right click on the Taskbar, Task Manager is an option.

I Bleed Blue and Gold
GO BEARS!

"JR A." <jeanray@gmail.com> wrote in message
news:1193059023.261796.243880@z24g2000prh.googlegr oups.com...
> The problem is, when I hit CTRL-ALT-DEL I don't see the task manager :
> (
>
> It's not an option.

TheTechSupportGeek

Re: Vista black screen and cursor after login
That would open Task Manager, but this is a situation where the taskbar is
unavailable...

"Cal Bear '66" wrote:

> If you right click on the Taskbar, Task Manager is an option.
>

> I Bleed Blue and Gold
> GO BEARS!
>

> "JR A." <jeanray@gmail.com> wrote in message
> news:1193059023.261796.243880@z24g2000prh.googlegr oups.com...
> > The problem is, when I hit CTRL-ALT-DEL I don't see the task manager :
> > (
> >
> > It's not an option.

TheTechSupportGeek

Re: Vista black screen and cursor after login
When you hit CTRL+ALT+DELETE, you didn't see a screen appear with five
different options to choose from, one of them being opening Task Manager?

"JR A." wrote:

> The problem is, when I hit CTRL-ALT-DEL I don't see the task manager :
> (
>
> It's not an option.

sats

Re: Vista black screen and cursor after login
I have the same problem.

Please note from the original post.
CTRL-ALT-DELETE brings you back to the log-on screen with the following
- Lock this computer
- Switch users
- Logoff
- Change a passowrd...

Anyone found a solution to this problem yet?
TomHameeteman

Re: Vista black screen and cursor after login

I have experienced this problem too, and still haven't found a good
solution.

Manually starting explorer.exe using the task manager works for me, but
it's hardly a solution. I don't want to manually boot my computer
everytime I want to read my email, you know

So maybe someone can help me out with a permanent solution? Maybe the
explorer.exe somehow got erased from a file with applications to run at
startup? Or is that just silly?

--
TomHameeteman