Urgent defragmentation problem repeated

enik

Urgent defragmentation problem repeated
I have tried many times to defragment Vista through the Windows Live One Care
program tune up button but it keep saying that it cannot defragment some
parts of the drive and that it will try later to fix them.

What can I do?

Rick Rogers

Re: Urgent defragmentation problem repeated
Same answer as I already gave you earlier. Some files are not and can not be
moved by the defrag routine. This is normal and should be ignored.

--
Best of Luck,

http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
Windows help - www.rickrogers.org

"enik" <enik@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I have tried many times to defragment Vista through the Windows Live One
>Care
> program tune up button but it keep saying that it cannot defragment some
> parts of the drive and that it will try later to fix them.
>
> What can I do?

DevilsPGD

Re: Urgent defragmentation problem repeated
In message <54BF04D6-B306-4D2D-B574-3E0BA3DE738D@microsoft.com> enik
<enik@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>I have tried many times to defragment Vista through the Windows Live One Care
>program tune up button but it keep saying that it cannot defragment some
>parts of the drive and that it will try later to fix them.

How exactly is this urgent?

--
You can get more with a kind word and a 2x4 than just a kind word.
Benjamin

Re: Urgent defragmentation problem repeated

These are probably system files (MFT, paging file) or other files that
are locked because they are in use. Doing a boot-time defrag ought to
defrag these system files. You may need to use a third party tool like
Diskeeper because the Vista/One care utility may not defrag all files
even during boot-time (I dont know for sure).

BTW, this is not an urgent problem. It can be fixed at your leisure.

--
Benjamin
Guillermo

Re: Urgent defragmentation problem repeated
I first found this problem (of Vista's defragmenter not moving some files)
when I got my new laptop and was trying to repartition the disk.
What I did was to download Perfect8 and it allowed to move the "unmovable"
files and defragment. This way I could reduce the partition size to what I
wanted.

Hope this helps,