PC won't sleep in Windows Vista

js2k6

PC won't sleep in Windows Vista
I have an Aspire 5720-6683 notebook with Windows Vista Home Premium. I can't
seem to get it into Sleep mode. Whenever I try doing this, I just get a Vista
screen where I have to click my user name and enter my password to get back
in, i.e. neither the screen nor the hard drive have turned off. Is there
something obvious I'm missing? This happens regardless of whether I choose
Sleep from the Start Menu, close the lid, or just leave the computer alone
for 30 minutes like it was set in the Acer ePower Management settings. Any
suggestions?

I have the newest drivers for my video chip, the integrated Intel X3100. I
also enabled hibernation mode by using powercfg -h on from the command
prompt, but hybrid sleep still doesn't seem to work.
Paul Smith

Re: PC won't sleep in Windows Vista
"js2k6" <js2k6@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I have an Aspire 5720-6683 notebook with Windows Vista Home Premium. I
>can't
> seem to get it into Sleep mode. Whenever I try doing this, I just get a
> Vista
> screen where I have to click my user name and enter my password to get
> back
> in, i.e. neither the screen nor the hard drive have turned off. Is there
> something obvious I'm missing? This happens regardless of whether I choose
> Sleep from the Start Menu, close the lid, or just leave the computer alone
> for 30 minutes like it was set in the Acer ePower Management settings. Any
> suggestions?
>
> I have the newest drivers for my video chip, the integrated Intel X3100.
> also enabled hibernation mode by using powercfg -h on from the command
> prompt, but hybrid sleep still doesn't seem to work.

It sounds like you have 'Away mode' enabled.

Have a look in Control Panel -> System and Maintenance -> Power Options ->
Change when the computer sleeps -> Change advanced power settings ->
Multimedia settings. From here you can allow the computer to sleep, not
sleep, or not idle to sleep.

--
Paul Smith,
Yeovil, UK.

*Remove nospam. to reply by e-mail*

js2k6

Re: PC won't sleep in Windows Vista
Paul,
Thanks for the quick response. I tried your suggestion (set the computer to
Allow the computer to sleep under the Multimedia settings of Advanced Power
Options), and now when I try Sleep mode, the screen blanks for about 1
second, and I hear a noise from my hard drive and DVD drive, before
everything just resumes again as if nothing happened. I wonder if I have
some other software installed which is causing this to happen...

"Paul Smith" wrote:

> "js2k6" <js2k6@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >I have an Aspire 5720-6683 notebook with Windows Vista Home Premium. I
> >can't
> > seem to get it into Sleep mode. Whenever I try doing this, I just get a
> > Vista
> > screen where I have to click my user name and enter my password to get
> > back
> > in, i.e. neither the screen nor the hard drive have turned off. Is there
> > something obvious I'm missing? This happens regardless of whether I choose
> > Sleep from the Start Menu, close the lid, or just leave the computer alone
> > for 30 minutes like it was set in the Acer ePower Management settings. Any
> > suggestions?
> >
> > I have the newest drivers for my video chip, the integrated Intel X3100.
> > also enabled hibernation mode by using powercfg -h on from the command
> > prompt, but hybrid sleep still doesn't seem to work.

> It sounds like you have 'Away mode' enabled.
>
> Have a look in Control Panel -> System and Maintenance -> Power Options ->
> Change when the computer sleeps -> Change advanced power settings ->
> Multimedia settings. From here you can allow the computer to sleep, not
> sleep, or not idle to sleep.
>
> --
> Paul Smith,
> Yeovil, UK.
> Microsoft MVP Windows Shell/User.
> http://www.dasmirnov.net/blog/
> http://www.windowsresource.net/
>
> *Remove nospam. to reply by e-mail*

IsisMollyO

Re: PC won't sleep in Windows Vista

I have an Acer Extensa 4420, and just a few days ago, it quit sleeping.
I tried both the keyboard shortcut and going through the Start menu, but
it just turns off the screen and locks it. It would go to sleep just
fine before that, and I didn't change any of the power settings or
install any new programs. Any suggestions?

--
IsisMollyO
Brink

IsisMollyO;752041 Wrote:
> I have an Acer Extensa 4420, and just a few days ago, it quit sleeping.
> I tried both the keyboard shortcut and going through the Start menu, but
> it just turns off the screen and locks it. It would go to sleep just
> fine before that, and I didn't change any of the power settings or
> install any new programs. Any suggestions?

Hello IsisMollyO,

You might see if this tutorial can help you. It has steps to go through
and check to see if that is the cause of your sleep problem.

http://www.vistax64.com/tutorials/13...-shortcut.html

Hope this helps,
Shawn

--