Vista performance

Ram

Vista performance
I am running Vista in a Lenovo T60 with 1 GB RAM. The performance is very
very low. It takes approximately 7 mins to open any application after I
switch on. Also the wireless network connection keeps going off at random. Is
there something I should download to improve the performance and stability.
Nick Simpson

Re: Vista performance
Just a few tips that I've done on my Lenovo machines that I think will help
you out:

Update your wireless drivers to the latest from the Intel (?) website. The
drivers that are included with Windows are known to be buggy.

Install the reliability and compatibility updates.
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/938979 and
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/938194

Nick

"Ram" <Ram@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I am running Vista in a Lenovo T60 with 1 GB RAM. The performance is very
> very low. It takes approximately 7 mins to open any application after I
> switch on. Also the wireless network connection keeps going off at random.
> Is
> there something I should download to improve the performance and
> stability.

John

Re: Vista performance
Sadly Lenovo loaded the T60s with all kinds of crapware. You need to weed
out what you really don't use. It took me a while with a T60p. Also look at
the list in Task Manager of the services that run. Be sure to click All
Users. See what service is using the most CPU (sort by CPU). That will get
you in the right direction. And be sure to get the latest MS updates.

Check your power management settings to be sure the wireless card is always
on.

"Ram" <Ram@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I am running Vista in a Lenovo T60 with 1 GB RAM. The performance is very
> very low. It takes approximately 7 mins to open any application after I
> switch on. Also the wireless network connection keeps going off at random.
> Is
> there something I should download to improve the performance and
> stability.

Michael Johnson

RE: Vista performance
i also am running Vista Ultimate x86 on a Lenovo T60. i installed the 2
performance updates you mention Nick. However, since i've done that, the
network list service will not start!!!! when i got to hte network icon in the
system tray, it gives me "connection unknown: server execution failed". then
when i click it so that i can get the "connect to a network" pop up, the hour
glass just spins. i can't connect or disconnect to any DIFFERENT network.
Different meaning, i'm currently connected to the wired and wireless that i
had configured before installing the update. the one that does is is the
938979. i traced it down through uninstalling updates and doing system
restores. as soon as 938979 gets on my maching, that network list service
will not start. this is such as freaking pain!

"Ram" wrote:

> I am running Vista in a Lenovo T60 with 1 GB RAM. The performance is very
> very low. It takes approximately 7 mins to open any application after I
> switch on. Also the wireless network connection keeps going off at random. Is
> there something I should download to improve the performance and stability.

Nick Simpson

Re: Vista performance
Have you tried reporting this bug through either the Problems and Reports
Program or through the Microsoft Connect Website?

NS

"Michael Johnson" <MichaelJohnson@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
message news:2A5092E9-BA04-4182-8683-FAEE1E3F24E1@microsoft.com...
>i also am running Vista Ultimate x86 on a Lenovo T60. i installed the 2
> performance updates you mention Nick. However, since i've done that, the
> network list service will not start!!!! when i got to hte network icon in
> the
> system tray, it gives me "connection unknown: server execution failed".
> then
> when i click it so that i can get the "connect to a network" pop up, the
> hour
> glass just spins. i can't connect or disconnect to any DIFFERENT network.
> Different meaning, i'm currently connected to the wired and wireless that
> had configured before installing the update. the one that does is is the
> 938979. i traced it down through uninstalling updates and doing system
> restores. as soon as 938979 gets on my maching, that network list service
> will not start. this is such as freaking pain!
>
> "Ram" wrote:
>
>> I am running Vista in a Lenovo T60 with 1 GB RAM. The performance is very
>> very low. It takes approximately 7 mins to open any application after I
>> switch on. Also the wireless network connection keeps going off at
>> random. Is
>> there something I should download to improve the performance and
>> stability.

Michael Johnson

Re: Vista performance
Well, connect isn't really the place for that. And problems and reports isn't
seeing it as a problem. So, i'm kind of stuck here. If i can MS, i obviously
would have the pay the lovely $250 fee for help.

"Nick Simpson" wrote:

> Have you tried reporting this bug through either the Problems and Reports
> Program or through the Microsoft Connect Website?
>
> NS
>
> "Michael Johnson" <MichaelJohnson@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
> message news:2A5092E9-BA04-4182-8683-FAEE1E3F24E1@microsoft.com...
> >i also am running Vista Ultimate x86 on a Lenovo T60. i installed the 2
> > performance updates you mention Nick. However, since i've done that, the
> > network list service will not start!!!! when i got to hte network icon in
> > the
> > system tray, it gives me "connection unknown: server execution failed".
> > then
> > when i click it so that i can get the "connect to a network" pop up, the
> > hour
> > glass just spins. i can't connect or disconnect to any DIFFERENT network.
> > Different meaning, i'm currently connected to the wired and wireless that
> > had configured before installing the update. the one that does is is the
> > 938979. i traced it down through uninstalling updates and doing system
> > restores. as soon as 938979 gets on my maching, that network list service
> > will not start. this is such as freaking pain!
> >
> > "Ram" wrote:
> >
> >> I am running Vista in a Lenovo T60 with 1 GB RAM. The performance is very
> >> very low. It takes approximately 7 mins to open any application after I
> >> switch on. Also the wireless network connection keeps going off at
> >> random. Is
> >> there something I should download to improve the performance and
> >> stability.

Andre Blight

Re: Vista performance

Thank's for Sharing..

--
Andre Blight
Michael Johnson

Re: Vista performance
Ok, i have narrowed it down a little more. So, i reloaded the machine.
everything was working fine. installed the suspect update, and it was still
working fine. THEN, i installed Virtual PC 2007 and BOOM! It blew up. See,
the first time i already had VPC2k7 on there and then installed the update.
So, this time i got the update first then instaleld VPC2k7. So, it's a
combination of the udpate and VirtualPC 2007 that causes this problem.
Something with the drivers that VPC2K7 installs for networking is blowing out
the network list server.