Vista hangs indefinitely on shutdown

Lance

Vista hangs indefinitely on shutdown
Vista has run fine for months, but now it has started hanging on shutdown.
The shutdown screen appears, and the machine won't power off. I've left it
sitting there for over an hour, and still it doesn't turn off.

I'm running a Toshiba A135 dual core Intel 1.7 ghz with 1 gig of RAM and 1
gig from ReadyBoost on an SD card.

I have very few programs installed--really just the basics. The only change
I've made recently is to set up a wireless network. Could the Linksys router
be causing this?

Thanks!
mikezoe

RE: Vista hangs indefinitely on shutdown
I have the same problem and it's caused by the USB wireless adapter.
Not sure whether it would also hang with a wireless card but you don't say
what system you use to connect wirelessly. No cure at the moment. When the
little circle stops spinning I unplug the mains lead. On reboot I believe
that the necessary file saving which goes on normally on successful closing
down must have been completed as the boot up is normal with no detection of a
faulty previous shutdown.
I use a Linksys Wireless B adapter but the manufacturer says it won't
produce any Vista drivers. Using Windows XP (dual boot) the OS shuts down OK
with the same USB adapter in place!

"Lance" wrote:

> Vista has run fine for months, but now it has started hanging on shutdown.
> The shutdown screen appears, and the machine won't power off. I've left it
> sitting there for over an hour, and still it doesn't turn off.
>
> I'm running a Toshiba A135 dual core Intel 1.7 ghz with 1 gig of RAM and 1
> gig from ReadyBoost on an SD card.
>
> I have very few programs installed--really just the basics. The only change
> I've made recently is to set up a wireless network. Could the Linksys router
> be causing this?
>
> Thanks!

Lance

RE: Vista hangs indefinitely on shutdown
Linksys is not going to produce a Vista driver? Isn't that rather odd?

"mikezoe" wrote:

> I have the same problem and it's caused by the USB wireless adapter.
> Not sure whether it would also hang with a wireless card but you don't say
> what system you use to connect wirelessly. No cure at the moment. When the
> little circle stops spinning I unplug the mains lead. On reboot I believe
> that the necessary file saving which goes on normally on successful closing
> down must have been completed as the boot up is normal with no detection of a
> faulty previous shutdown.
> I use a Linksys Wireless B adapter but the manufacturer says it won't
> produce any Vista drivers. Using Windows XP (dual boot) the OS shuts down OK
> with the same USB adapter in place!
>
> "Lance" wrote:
>
> > Vista has run fine for months, but now it has started hanging on shutdown.
> > The shutdown screen appears, and the machine won't power off. I've left it
> > sitting there for over an hour, and still it doesn't turn off.
> >
> > I'm running a Toshiba A135 dual core Intel 1.7 ghz with 1 gig of RAM and 1
> > gig from ReadyBoost on an SD card.
> >
> > I have very few programs installed--really just the basics. The only change
> > I've made recently is to set up a wireless network. Could the Linksys router
> > be causing this?
> >
> > Thanks!

mikezoe65

RE: Vista hangs indefinitely on shutdown
Not really. The Wireless B is an old model replaced by the G model for which
Vista drivers are available. Take a look at the Linksys site:-
http://www.linksys.com/servlet/Satel...VisitorWrapper

"Lance" wrote:

> Linksys is not going to produce a Vista driver? Isn't that rather odd?
>

> "mikezoe" wrote:
>
> > I have the same problem and it's caused by the USB wireless adapter.
> > Not sure whether it would also hang with a wireless card but you don't say
> > what system you use to connect wirelessly. No cure at the moment. When the
> > little circle stops spinning I unplug the mains lead. On reboot I believe
> > that the necessary file saving which goes on normally on successful closing
> > down must have been completed as the boot up is normal with no detection of a
> > faulty previous shutdown.
> > I use a Linksys Wireless B adapter but the manufacturer says it won't
> > produce any Vista drivers. Using Windows XP (dual boot) the OS shuts down OK
> > with the same USB adapter in place!
> >
> > "Lance" wrote:
> >
> > > Vista has run fine for months, but now it has started hanging on shutdown.
> > > The shutdown screen appears, and the machine won't power off. I've left it
> > > sitting there for over an hour, and still it doesn't turn off.
> > >
> > > I'm running a Toshiba A135 dual core Intel 1.7 ghz with 1 gig of RAM and 1
> > > gig from ReadyBoost on an SD card.
> > >
> > > I have very few programs installed--really just the basics. The only change
> > > I've made recently is to set up a wireless network. Could the Linksys router
> > > be causing this?
> > >
> > > Thanks!

Alice R

RE: Vista hangs indefinitely on shutdown
Thanks, But I have a question. My desktop runs Vista (wireless). My laptops
run through the same LinkSys router and they run on XP. Any problem here? How
to fix?
--
Alice R