vista Desktop Icons Randomly Change

AlanHo

vista Desktop Icons Randomly Change
I have added a number of document or website link shortcut icons to my Vista
computer desktop - some are in folders containing a group of shortcuts.

I have changed the folder and shortcut icons from the standard explorer icon
to more meaningful ones stored on my hard drive as ico files.

However - for no apparent reason - certain icons randomly revert to the
explorer icon. Particularly those stored in a desktop folder. Right clicking
on the desktop and selecting "Refresh" has no effect. After a reboot - the
icons may - or may not - correct themselves. It is worth noting that it is
only the icons I have allocated that randomly change and it is not always
the same ones. Icons associated with programmes seem to be OK. (Word, Excel,
Acronis, Nero etc)

If I right click on the faulty ones the heading of the web document tab
still shows the correct icon but I have to go through the procedure of
changing the icon all over again to get the specific icon back on the
desktop.

A couple of weeks ago (for other reasons) I had to do a reformat of my C:
drive and do a clean installation of Vista Ultimate. I hoped that this would
result in the icon problem being resolved - but it is back again.

I have searched the Microsoft knowledge base in vain.

PaulB

RE: vista Desktop Icons Randomly Change
I have found that Vista is fussy about the size of icons. It likes the size,
in pixels, to be larger. Some of mine are 200 X 200 and they seem to hold.
--
Paul