Copy HD/W Vista complete to New Hard Drive

Bobby Atkinson

Copy HD/W Vista complete to New Hard Drive
I have a PC with a 60 Gig HD (Drive C runing Vista Business OS. I brought
a 160 Gig WD Caviar SE hard drive (WD1600JB) and I want to copy the
complete 60 Gig (programs, files and OS) to the new 160 Gig hard drive. How
can I do this and be able to boot with the new drive. I am running out of
space on the 60 Gig drive and want to replace it with out any reinstall of
programs or OS. The Data Lifeguard Tools CD that came with the 160 Gig HD
do not/will not run under Vista. I just want to do a simple Hard Disk
exchange. Thanks

Bobby
batkinson@iquest.net

peter

Re: Copy HD/W Vista complete to New Hard Drive
Why not just install the new HD as a slave...leave the OS on the smaller
drive.
Tranfer all of your personal files to the new...set your MAIL as well as IE
cache to the new drive....maybe even set the paging file to the new drive.
This should create more space on the old drive.If you feel you still need
more space on the old uninstall some programs and reinstall on the new.
All new programs that you aquire from this point on can be installed on the
new drive.
peter
"Bobby Atkinson" <batkinson@iquest.net> wrote in message
>I have a PC with a 60 Gig HD (Drive C runing Vista Business OS. I
>brought a 160 Gig WD Caviar SE hard drive (WD1600JB) and I want to copy
>the complete 60 Gig (programs, files and OS) to the new 160 Gig hard drive.
>How can I do this and be able to boot with the new drive. I am running out
>of space on the 60 Gig drive and want to replace it with out any reinstall
>of programs or OS. The Data Lifeguard Tools CD that came with the 160 Gig
>HD do not/will not run under Vista. I just want to do a simple Hard Disk
>exchange. Thanks
>
> Bobby
> batkinson@iquest.net

Bobby Atkinson

Re: Copy HD/W Vista complete to New Hard Drive
Thanks, but I used Acronis trial version and it worked great.