Why did my computer crash?

Mags

Why did my computer crash?
My 8-month-old HP Pavilion with Vista Home Premium was not waking up after
going to sleep. I'd have to shut it down manually, and when I turned it back
on, it was back to where I had left it, as if it had only been asleep. Now
it's crashed. When I turn it on, I get "analog only" and it cycles through
some stages and ends up at the black screen where my choices are start in
safe mode, etc. I've tried them all and they all just cycle through the same
pages. I called HP, they said it was a software problem. I'm without a
computer. Don't tell me I must have uploaded or added something. I haven't.
Help. Mags
Rick Rogers

Re: Why did my computer crash?
Hi,

If you cannot access the system in any mode, you will likely need to reload
the operating system from whatever recovery media was supplied to you by HP.
Check your system documentation for such. If you have a bootable disk that
can load the recovery options, then you could try a system restore point.

Incidentally, forcing power cycling such as you have can and probably did
damage the file system and may very well be why you cannot now load the
system.

--
Best of Luck,

http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
Windows help - www.rickrogers.org

"Mags" <Mags@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> My 8-month-old HP Pavilion with Vista Home Premium was not waking up after
> going to sleep. I'd have to shut it down manually, and when I turned it
> back
> on, it was back to where I had left it, as if it had only been asleep.
> Now
> it's crashed. When I turn it on, I get "analog only" and it cycles
> through
> some stages and ends up at the black screen where my choices are start in
> safe mode, etc. I've tried them all and they all just cycle through the
> same
> pages. I called HP, they said it was a software problem. I'm without a
> computer. Don't tell me I must have uploaded or added something. I
> haven't.
> Help. Mags

AJR

Re: Why did my computer crash?
As alluded to by Rick - HP provides at boot a message resembling "Hit F11
for Restoration..." (wording may be differeent but similiar). Keep in mind
that the computer will be restored to the state it was when you purchased
it - Any programs you installed will hve to be installed again.
If you select this option pay attention to the screen images as you may be
offerred the option to restore without loss of data.

If you have a Vista DVD - boot from the DVD and you will have the option to
run "System Restore" or "Startup Repair".