Vista wont shut down

theroux

Vista wont shut down
I've been running Vista Home Premium for a couple months with no problem. Now
I'm having intermittent trouble with the shut down. From the Start Menu I
click Shutdown and nothing happens. So I repeat the process. I end up having
to click on Shutdown about 7 times before Vista will do so. Like I said, this
problem is intermittent; sometimes it shut downs just fine.
Other times, Vista will start the shut down process, taking me to the
"computer is shutting down" screen, and it just hangs there for 20 minutes
until I manually turn off the computer.
I'm using a Dell Inspiron E1505 laptop.
Mags

RE: Vista wont shut down
I had the a similar problem on my HP Pavilion. The computer refused to wake
up after being "asleep" for a while, so I had to shut it down manually, and
when it restarted, it would be back where I had left it, as if it had been
asleep. Then it crashed. If I were you, I'd back up everything right now.
Mags

"theroux" wrote:

> I've been running Vista Home Premium for a couple months with no problem. Now
> I'm having intermittent trouble with the shut down. From the Start Menu I
> click Shutdown and nothing happens. So I repeat the process. I end up having
> to click on Shutdown about 7 times before Vista will do so. Like I said, this
> problem is intermittent; sometimes it shut downs just fine.
> Other times, Vista will start the shut down process, taking me to the
> "computer is shutting down" screen, and it just hangs there for 20 minutes
> until I manually turn off the computer.
> I'm using a Dell Inspiron E1505 laptop.

Lee

RE: Vista wont shut down - I Have Just the Opposite Problem
Mags

I have the 180 degree problem.

I have Windows Vista Ultimate on my lap top. It's a Compaq Presario X6000
with Pent-IV processor and 3GB of RAM. I don't want to tell you what I paid
for it customized because you will recommend I seek a mental health
professional. My point is, IT IS A TOP OF THE LINE SYSTEM.

After loading all the Vistal lnaguage packs the computer boots extremely
slow. I gave up asking for help on this issue from the news groups.
Numerous users seem to have this problem but all the, "experts," seem either
puzzled or annoyed.

Anyway, now my computer just shuts off on its own. No reason... I don't
have to be doing anything, it just goes to the shutdown and turns itself off.
power seetings are correct. I got out my spare power supply (brand new) and
the shutdown continues.

I almost wish I had your problem. I'd like the damn thing to stay on.

Before yuo ask: Yes, I ran a virus check, Check Disk, Scan Disk and
Windows Cleanup. All in Safe Mode. Still turns itself off.

Lee

Lee

"Mags" wrote:

> I had the a similar problem on my HP Pavilion. The computer refused to wake
> up after being "asleep" for a while, so I had to shut it down manually, and
> when it restarted, it would be back where I had left it, as if it had been
> asleep. Then it crashed. If I were you, I'd back up everything right now.
> Mags
>
> "theroux" wrote:
>
> > I've been running Vista Home Premium for a couple months with no problem. Now
> > I'm having intermittent trouble with the shut down. From the Start Menu I
> > click Shutdown and nothing happens. So I repeat the process. I end up having
> > to click on Shutdown about 7 times before Vista will do so. Like I said, this
> > problem is intermittent; sometimes it shut downs just fine.
> > Other times, Vista will start the shut down process, taking me to the
> > "computer is shutting down" screen, and it just hangs there for 20 minutes
> > until I manually turn off the computer.
> > I'm using a Dell Inspiron E1505 laptop.

Rick Rogers

Re: Vista wont shut down - I Have Just the Opposite Problem
Hi Lee,

A system that shuts down on its own is usually responding to a signal from
the motherboard that an overheating condition exists. A fan may be
malfunctioning, an airvent may be blocked, or there simply may be
insufficient cooling mechanisms in place.

I cannot help you with the language pack issue, as I do not use them nor
have I worked on a system with that issue.

--
Best of Luck,

http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
Windows help - www.rickrogers.org

"Lee" <Lee@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Mags
>
> I have the 180 degree problem.
>
> I have Windows Vista Ultimate on my lap top. It's a Compaq Presario
> X6000
> with Pent-IV processor and 3GB of RAM. I don't want to tell you what I
> paid
> for it customized because you will recommend I seek a mental health
> professional. My point is, IT IS A TOP OF THE LINE SYSTEM.
>

> After loading all the Vistal lnaguage packs the computer boots extremely
> slow. I gave up asking for help on this issue from the news groups.
> Numerous users seem to have this problem but all the, "experts," seem
> either
> puzzled or annoyed.
>
> Anyway, now my computer just shuts off on its own. No reason... I don't
> have to be doing anything, it just goes to the shutdown and turns itself
> off.
> power seetings are correct. I got out my spare power supply (brand new)
> and
> the shutdown continues.
>
> I almost wish I had your problem. I'd like the damn thing to stay on.
>
> Before yuo ask: Yes, I ran a virus check, Check Disk, Scan Disk and
> Windows Cleanup. All in Safe Mode. Still turns itself off.
>
> Lee
>
> Lee
>
> "Mags" wrote:
>
>> I had the a similar problem on my HP Pavilion. The computer refused to
>> wake
>> up after being "asleep" for a while, so I had to shut it down manually,
>> and
>> when it restarted, it would be back where I had left it, as if it had
>> been
>> asleep. Then it crashed. If I were you, I'd back up everything right
>> now.
>> Mags
>>
>> "theroux" wrote:
>>
>> > I've been running Vista Home Premium for a couple months with no
>> > problem. Now
>> > I'm having intermittent trouble with the shut down. From the Start Menu
>> > click Shutdown and nothing happens. So I repeat the process. I end up
>> > having
>> > to click on Shutdown about 7 times before Vista will do so. Like I
>> > said, this
>> > problem is intermittent; sometimes it shut downs just fine.
>> > Other times, Vista will start the shut down process, taking me to the
>> > "computer is shutting down" screen, and it just hangs there for 20
>> > minutes
>> > until I manually turn off the computer.
>> > I'm using a Dell Inspiron E1505 laptop.

Lee

Re: Vista wont shut down - I Have Just the Opposite Problem
Rick

It turned out to be a bad installation/setup of Advanquest System Suite 8.
Once I unistalled and reinstalled, the problem went away.

The fans and hardware were the first things I checked. Good advice on your
part.

Lee

"Rick Rogers" wrote:

> Hi Lee,
>
> A system that shuts down on its own is usually responding to a signal from
> the motherboard that an overheating condition exists. A fan may be
> malfunctioning, an airvent may be blocked, or there simply may be
> insufficient cooling mechanisms in place.
>
> I cannot help you with the language pack issue, as I do not use them nor
> have I worked on a system with that issue.
>
> --
> Best of Luck,

> http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
> Windows help - www.rickrogers.org
>
> "Lee" <Lee@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Mags
> >
> > I have the 180 degree problem.
> >
> > I have Windows Vista Ultimate on my lap top. It's a Compaq Presario
> > X6000
> > with Pent-IV processor and 3GB of RAM. I don't want to tell you what I
> > paid
> > for it customized because you will recommend I seek a mental health
> > professional. My point is, IT IS A TOP OF THE LINE SYSTEM.
> >

> > After loading all the Vistal lnaguage packs the computer boots extremely
> > slow. I gave up asking for help on this issue from the news groups.
> > Numerous users seem to have this problem but all the, "experts," seem
> > either
> > puzzled or annoyed.
> >
> > Anyway, now my computer just shuts off on its own. No reason... I don't
> > have to be doing anything, it just goes to the shutdown and turns itself
> > off.
> > power seetings are correct. I got out my spare power supply (brand new)
> > and
> > the shutdown continues.
> >
> > I almost wish I had your problem. I'd like the damn thing to stay on.
> >
> > Before yuo ask: Yes, I ran a virus check, Check Disk, Scan Disk and
> > Windows Cleanup. All in Safe Mode. Still turns itself off.
> >
> > Lee
> >
> > Lee
> >
> > "Mags" wrote:
> >
> >> I had the a similar problem on my HP Pavilion. The computer refused to
> >> wake
> >> up after being "asleep" for a while, so I had to shut it down manually,
> >> and
> >> when it restarted, it would be back where I had left it, as if it had
> >> been
> >> asleep. Then it crashed. If I were you, I'd back up everything right
> >> now.
> >> Mags

Rick Rogers

Re: Vista wont shut down - I Have Just the Opposite Problem
Cool, glad to hear you found the problem and that it was easier to resolve
than tearing the system apart. Thanks for the feedback.

--

> Rick
>
> It turned out to be a bad installation/setup of Advanquest System Suite 8.
> Once I unistalled and reinstalled, the problem went away.
>
> The fans and hardware were the first things I checked. Good advice on
> your
> part.
>
> Lee
>
> "Rick Rogers" wrote:
>
>> Hi Lee,
>>
>> A system that shuts down on its own is usually responding to a signal
>> from
>> the motherboard that an overheating condition exists. A fan may be
>> malfunctioning, an airvent may be blocked, or there simply may be
>> insufficient cooling mechanisms in place.
>>
>> I cannot help you with the language pack issue, as I do not use them nor
>> have I worked on a system with that issue.
>>
>> --
>> Best of Luck,

>> http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
>> Windows help - www.rickrogers.org
>>
>> "Lee" <Lee@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> > Mags
>> >
>> > I have the 180 degree problem.
>> >
>> > I have Windows Vista Ultimate on my lap top. It's a Compaq Presario
>> > X6000
>> > with Pent-IV processor and 3GB of RAM. I don't want to tell you what I
>> > paid
>> > for it customized because you will recommend I seek a mental health
>> > professional. My point is, IT IS A TOP OF THE LINE SYSTEM.
>> >

>> > After loading all the Vistal lnaguage packs the computer boots
>> > extremely
>> > slow. I gave up asking for help on this issue from the news groups.
>> > Numerous users seem to have this problem but all the, "experts," seem
>> > either
>> > puzzled or annoyed.
>> >
>> > Anyway, now my computer just shuts off on its own. No reason... I
>> > don't
>> > have to be doing anything, it just goes to the shutdown and turns
>> > itself
>> > off.
>> > power seetings are correct. I got out my spare power supply (brand
>> > new)
>> > and
>> > the shutdown continues.
>> >
>> > I almost wish I had your problem. I'd like the damn thing to stay on.
>> >
>> > Before yuo ask: Yes, I ran a virus check, Check Disk, Scan Disk and
>> > Windows Cleanup. All in Safe Mode. Still turns itself off.
>> >
>> > Lee

David