Vista won't startup unless I hit F8 at post and select raid array.

srfisch1

Vista won't startup unless I hit F8 at post and select raid array.
Installed an additional 2 gigs of memory (originally 2 gigs of same DDR2 800)
and found Vista to be VERY slow to start up. Installed update KB929777 as
memory over 3 gigs can cause problems with Vista per Microsoft.com. Didn't
help. Right after this I could get Vista to the sign on screen, but then it
would do nothing after signing on. Only a black screen. Still could move
mouse pointer, but nothing else happened. Pulled new memory, leaving
original 2 gigs, and now PC can't find find bootdisk at startup. I've reset
the bios to default with no luck and enabled raid. Still can't find
bootdisk. I popped in the Vista DVD and selected system restore to go back
10 days. Still no bootdisk found. Now it does work when I hit F8 at post
and select my striped raid array. Vista starts up just fine then. Once this
is done there seems to be no performance problems, so I don't think its a
hardware problem (even ran memory test off Vista DVD and memory tested fine),
but I'm not sure. Any ideas what is causing this and how to fix it? Thanks!
Dwarf

RE: Vista won't startup unless I hit F8 at post and select raid array.
Hi srfisch1,

When you next boot up your PC, enter your BIOS. Does it show the correct
time and date? If not then the battery that maintains your BIOS settings
(including those for RAID) might need replacing. These are usually button
cells type CR2032, but check your motherboard's manual first.
Dwarf

"srfisch1" wrote:

> Installed an additional 2 gigs of memory (originally 2 gigs of same DDR2 800)
> and found Vista to be VERY slow to start up. Installed update KB929777 as
> memory over 3 gigs can cause problems with Vista per Microsoft.com. Didn't
> help. Right after this I could get Vista to the sign on screen, but then it
> would do nothing after signing on. Only a black screen. Still could move
> mouse pointer, but nothing else happened. Pulled new memory, leaving
> original 2 gigs, and now PC can't find find bootdisk at startup. I've reset
> the bios to default with no luck and enabled raid. Still can't find
> bootdisk. I popped in the Vista DVD and selected system restore to go back
> 10 days. Still no bootdisk found. Now it does work when I hit F8 at post
> and select my striped raid array. Vista starts up just fine then. Once this
> is done there seems to be no performance problems, so I don't think its a
> hardware problem (even ran memory test off Vista DVD and memory tested fine),
> but I'm not sure. Any ideas what is causing this and how to fix it? Thanks!

srfisch1

RE: Vista won't startup unless I hit F8 at post and select raid ar
Thanks for response. Figured it out. Somehow the bios had selected my
external drive as the bootdisk. I simply changed it to my raid array and it
boots fine now.

"Dwarf" wrote:

> Hi srfisch1,
>
> When you next boot up your PC, enter your BIOS. Does it show the correct
> time and date? If not then the battery that maintains your BIOS settings
> (including those for RAID) might need replacing. These are usually button
> cells type CR2032, but check your motherboard's manual first.
> Dwarf
>
> "srfisch1" wrote:
>
> > Installed an additional 2 gigs of memory (originally 2 gigs of same DDR2 800)
> > and found Vista to be VERY slow to start up. Installed update KB929777 as
> > memory over 3 gigs can cause problems with Vista per Microsoft.com. Didn't
> > help. Right after this I could get Vista to the sign on screen, but then it
> > would do nothing after signing on. Only a black screen. Still could move
> > mouse pointer, but nothing else happened. Pulled new memory, leaving
> > original 2 gigs, and now PC can't find find bootdisk at startup. I've reset
> > the bios to default with no luck and enabled raid. Still can't find
> > bootdisk. I popped in the Vista DVD and selected system restore to go back
> > 10 days. Still no bootdisk found. Now it does work when I hit F8 at post
> > and select my striped raid array. Vista starts up just fine then. Once this
> > is done there seems to be no performance problems, so I don't think its a
> > hardware problem (even ran memory test off Vista DVD and memory tested fine),
> > but I'm not sure. Any ideas what is causing this and how to fix it? Thanks!

DOMINATOR

Re: Vista won't startup unless I hit F8 at post and select raid array.

I was just about to suggest that, ive had similair problem at my friends
house when i took my hard drive there and plugged it in and the computer
wouldnt boot, it was trying to boot off my hard drive when it had vista
x64 on it and he had 32 bit processor. He flipped out cause he's an
idiot and doesnt realise his computer really isnt all that great. And i
changed the BIOS boot priority and he looked like an idiot for worrying
lol.

--
DOMINATOR

[image: http://www.l33tsig.net/sig/1/DOMINATOR.png]