The difference between Windows Vista 32-bit and 64-bit

TheMusicBoy

The difference between Windows Vista 32-bit and 64-bit
What's the difference between Windows Vista Home Premium 64-bit and Windows
Vista Home Premium 32-bit? What should I choose?

Mike Brannigan

Re: The difference between Windows Vista 32-bit and 64-bit
"TheMusicBoy" <123@123.no> wrote in message
> What's the difference between Windows Vista Home Premium 64-bit and
> Windows Vista Home Premium 32-bit? What should I choose?

see
http://www.microsoft.com/windows/pro...ons/64bit.mspx

--

Mike Brannigan

DOMINATOR

Re: The difference between Windows Vista 32-bit and 64-bit

i would recommend you pick 32 bit for now, 64 bit isn't compatible with
that many programs yet.

--
DOMINATOR

[image: http://www.l33tsig.net/sig/1/DOMINATOR.png]

My Rig:
-E6550 2.33Ghz Core 2 Duo
-P35 DS3 mobo
-8800GTS 320MB GFX Card
-2GB 800Mhz RAM
Rick Rogers

Re: The difference between Windows Vista 32-bit and 64-bit
Hi,

Read the link Mike sent for the differences. Since x64 is not in full vogue
yet, and driver support is still weak, I'd generally recommend that you go
with 32-bit for now. It is more compatible with the software and hardware
currently available. Unless you have a program that can make use of the
increased capacity of 64-bit, there will be no advantage in installing it.

--
Best of Luck,

http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
Windows help - www.rickrogers.org

"TheMusicBoy" <123@123.no> wrote in message
> What's the difference between Windows Vista Home Premium 64-bit and
> Windows Vista Home Premium 32-bit? What should I choose?

uhaligani

DOMINATOR;471424 Wrote:
> i would recommend you pick 32 bit for now, 64 bit isn't compatible with
> that many programs yet.

I run both in a dual boot. I could be picked up on it, but 64 is
backward compatible with most 32 bit programs on the market, but, of
course, without any real advantage. The problem is rather, hardware
compatibility.
Using my own (lack of) benchmarking skills, in its present form, I can
detect no speed or other advantage in running 64 bit.

--
uhaligani
DOMINATOR

uhaligani;471480 Wrote:
> I run both in a dual boot. I could be picked up on it, but 64 is
> backward compatible with most 32 bit programs on the market, but, of
> course, without any real advantage. The problem is rather, hardware
> compatibility.
> Using my own (lack of) benchmarking skills, in its present form, I can
> detect no speed or other advantage in running 64 bit.

it's not exactly "backward compatably", it emulates 32 bit programs.
That means that it will go slower and use more resources, there is also
a higher risk of errors and certain functions may not work. But you
said it will work with a good amount of old programs. But not in the
same way a play station 2 can play play station 1 games.

--
DOMINATOR

[image: http://www.l33tsig.net/sig/1/DOMINATOR.png]

My Rig:
-E6550 2.33Ghz Core 2 Duo
-P35 DS3 mobo
-8800GTS 320MB GFX Card
-2GB 800Mhz RAM
uhaligani

Re: The difference between Windows Vista 32-bit and 64-bit

Well, a matter of semantics. I would call that, from the working point
of view, compatibility! - Dict: capable of co-existence: able to exist
together.
I have two identical computers. For Beta testing I had 64 on one and 32
on the other. 32 bit programs ran at the same spedd, without problems,
in both. 64 bit programs ran noticeably faster in the 64 bit OS than
their 32 bit cousins. That include MS own effort - IE7 64 bit.
I don't own a Playstation.

--
uhaligani
BENAGLIA

Re: The difference between Windows Vista 32-bit and 64-bit
I daily work on 32 bit and, Xp and Vista, and on a 64 bit Vista system. On
routine work no difference that would justify moving to a Bit system. The
real difference is when you have to handle heavy workloads/files. Handling
2-3Gb files on a good 64 Bit system is as smooth as handling 200 Mb on a 32
Bit one, that's one of the reasons 64 Bit systems are used in the graphics
market.
It all depends what you are going to use it for, it's not worth it if you
are not going to use the full potential of a 64 Bit system. And of course
you would have a software and driver compatibility problem to consider
first.

AndyB