Starting programs faster

Axel Göller

Starting programs faster
When I start Windows Mail (the same with Word and Excel), it takes much more
time than in XP until the program appears.
How can I accelarate this?
Axel

Ramesh, MS-MVP

Re: Starting programs faster
If you're using SpywareBlaster.

From *Official Javacool Software Website*

SB restricted sites slows up Vista Windows Mail - Wilders Security Forums:

Regards,

"Axel Göller" <agoeller@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:%23P9gPudBIHA.2324@TK2MSFTNGP03.phx.gbl...
When I start Windows Mail (the same with Word and Excel), it takes much more
time than in XP until the program appears.
How can I accelarate this?
Axel

Axel Göller

Re: Starting programs faster
Ramesh, MS-MVP typed:
> If you're using SpywareBlaster.

Have nothing to do with that. The slow program start also is true for word,
excel etc.
There might be some adjustment for Vista, because under XP (other partition,
same HDD) program starts are much faster.
I have installed the latest hotfixes, one of them saying something about
performance improvement. But still so slow.

Any more ideas?

Axel

Ramesh, MS-MVP

Re: Starting programs faster
How about performing a clean boot?
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/331796

--
Regards,

"Axel Göller" <agoeller@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:%23C5PIJ1BIHA.4176@TK2MSFTNGP06.phx.gbl...
Ramesh, MS-MVP typed:
> If you're using SpywareBlaster.

Have nothing to do with that. The slow program start also is true for word,
excel etc.
There might be some adjustment for Vista, because under XP (other partition,
same HDD) program starts are much faster.
I have installed the latest hotfixes, one of them saying something about
performance improvement. But still so slow.

Any more ideas?

Axel

Axel Göller

Re: Starting programs faster
Ramesh, MS-MVP typed:
> How about performing a clean boot?
> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/331796

I did that already. It is a often given and useless advice. There are no
things running which might cause the slowness of starting programs.

The slow program start occurs directly after fresh installation of Vista and
just these few applications (Mail and Office).

So I am convinced that it is due to bad programming of Vista. What is your
further opinion?

Axel

Ramesh, MS-MVP

Re: Starting programs faster
>> It is a often given and useless advice.

I've found it's one of the most helpful advice in certain circumstances.

>> So I am convinced that it is due to bad programming of Vista. What is your

further opinion?

No idea, but the slowness could very well be due to printer driver/scanner/any network resource. You may investigate using "Process Monitor" utility from Microsoft.

--
Regards,

"Axel Göller" <agoeller@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:usHHOk2BIHA.912@TK2MSFTNGP05.phx.gbl...
Ramesh, MS-MVP typed:
> How about performing a clean boot?
> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/331796

I did that already. It is a often given and useless advice. There are no
things running which might cause the slowness of starting programs.

The slow program start occurs directly after fresh installation of Vista and
just these few applications (Mail and Office).

So I am convinced that it is due to bad programming of Vista. What is your
further opinion?

Axel

Axel Göller

Re: Starting programs faster
Ramesh, MS-MVP typed:

> No idea, but the slowness could very well be due to printer
> driver/scanner/any network resource. You may investigate using
> "Process Monitor" utility from Microsoft.

There is no printer nor scanner installes - simply, because there are no
vista-drivers available for these my devices.
Network settings are already optimized (fix ID address versus DHCP
operating).

So I appreciate your advice with respct to "Process Monitor" - which in fact
I don't know how to get. I would like to try that - where can I get it?

Axel

MICHAEL

Re: Starting programs faster
* Axel Göller:
> Ramesh, MS-MVP typed:
>
>> No idea, but the slowness could very well be due to printer
>> driver/scanner/any network resource. You may investigate using
>> "Process Monitor" utility from Microsoft.

> There is no printer nor scanner installes - simply, because there are no
> vista-drivers available for these my devices.
> Network settings are already optimized (fix ID address versus DHCP
> operating).
>
> So I appreciate your advice with respct to "Process Monitor" - which in fact
> I don't know how to get. I would like to try that - where can I get it?
>
> Axel

http://www.microsoft.com/technet/sys...ssmonitor.mspx

-Michael
Axel Göller

Re: Starting programs faster
MICHAEL typed:

> http://www.microsoft.com/technet/sys...ssmonitor.mspx

Good Morning, Michael!

Thank you for this link. I have installed processmonitor and started it. It
began to work without giving me the chance to adjust anything before. I went
to breakfast, when I came back, it was still running, meanwhile having more
than 800.000 lines of result. Then I stopped it and now I wonder how it must
be operated to give me the expected benefit.

But back to my original query: when I start a programm the first time
(initial load), this takes long. When I close the programm and start it
again, it appears at once.
This is true for Windows Mail and the Office-applications.
My conclusion is: something within Vista makes the initial programload
slower than it is in Windows XP.

So, I add another question: is it possible to make the initial load during
start up of the system? I wouldn't mind if this takes some more time.

Axel