How can I take an advantage with the thumb drive feature?

meo

How can I take an advantage with the thumb drive feature?
I thought I read some article that Vista will be faster if we have a thumb
drive.

How can I setup to get this feature?

Carey Frisch [MVP]

Re: How can I take an advantage with the thumb drive feature?
Turn ReadyBoost on or off for a storage device:

Windows ReadyBoost can use storage space on some removable media devices,
such as USB flash drives, to speed up your computer.

When you insert a compatible device, the AutoPlay dialog box will offer you
the option to speed up your system using Windows ReadyBoost.

1. Plug a flash drive or other removable media device into your computer.
This should automatically open AutoPlay.
2. Under General Options, click Speed up my system.
This will display the Properties dialog box for your flash drive or other removable media device.
3. Click the ReadyBoost tab, and then do one of the following:
To turn ReadyBoost off, click Do not use this device.
To turn ReadyBoost on, click Use this device, and then move the slider to choose how much
of the available space on your flash drive you want to reserve for boosting your system speed.
4. Click OK.

"meo" <j_aladin@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:uwbUUQTAIHA.5960@TK2MSFTNGP05.phx.gbl...
I thought I read some article that Vista will be faster if we have a thumb
drive.

How can I setup to get this feature?
Ken Blake, MVP

Re: How can I take an advantage with the thumb drive feature?
On Fri, 28 Sep 2007 01:28:12 +0700, "meo" <j_aladin@hotmail.com>
wrote:

> I thought I read some article that Vista will be faster if we have a thumb
> drive.
>
> How can I setup to get this feature?

The feature is called Ready Boost. Look it up in Windows Help and
Support.

How much RAM do you have? For those with 2GB or more, it's usually
ineffective.

Please Reply to the Newsgroup
Bruce Chambers

meo wrote:
> I thought I read some article that Vista will be faster if we have a thumb
> drive.
>
> How can I setup to get this feature?

"To use Windows ReadyBoost, PCs must be preinstalled with Windows
Vista^(TM) and have access to a non-volatile flash memory buffer with at
least 1GB of storage capacity. The flash memory buffer must also meet
the requirements for random reads and random writes specified in the
Windows Vista Logo "Storage-0009 WLP" specification:
.. 5 MB/sec throughput for random 4k reads across the entire device
.. 3 MB/sec throughput for random 512k writes across the entire device"

"Q. What does it mean to be "Enhanced for Windows ReadyBoost^(TM)?
A. The phrase "Enhanced for Windows ReadyBoost" will be used to market
flash devices that are large enough and fast enough to consistently work
with Windows ReadyBoost. A drive that is Enhanced for Windows
ReadyBoost must be at least 512MB and must have random read and random
write speeds of 5MB/sec and 3MB/sec, respectively."

--

Bruce Chambers

Help us help you:
http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm