Screen went blank then...

Annie

Screen went blank then...
I have a new Toshiba laptop and other than Vista, am pretty happy with it.
Yesterday I picked up my alreday turned on, hard drive light not blinking,
computer and put it on my lap as I sat on the couch. The screen went blank
for a second then a screen from 'Performance Optimizer' came on. ??? The
website said I had 146 errors on my machine that needed to be fixed. Click
here..blah, blah, blah.

Is this for real? I didn't click on the 'fix errors' button but saved the
link just in case I'm overreacting. I was afraid to do this because I've
never heard of it before.

Thanks.
Rick Rogers

Re: Screen went blank then...
Hi Annie,

When you get a new machine, the first time you start it Vista is finishing
its installation routine. This may take some time, and many manufacturer's
don't document this very well. There should not be errors however, and this
could be an indication of a hardware problem with the system. You should
contact Toshiba support to log this so that you will be eligible for any
necessary warranty work.

--
Best of Luck,

http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
Windows help - www.rickrogers.org

"Annie" <Annie@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I have a new Toshiba laptop and other than Vista, am pretty happy with it.
> Yesterday I picked up my alreday turned on, hard drive light not blinking,
> computer and put it on my lap as I sat on the couch. The screen went
> blank
> for a second then a screen from 'Performance Optimizer' came on. ??? The
> website said I had 146 errors on my machine that needed to be fixed.
> Click
> here..blah, blah, blah.
>
> Is this for real? I didn't click on the 'fix errors' button but saved the
> link just in case I'm overreacting. I was afraid to do this because I've
> never heard of it before.
>
> Thanks.

Bob J

RE: Screen went blank then...
"Performance Optomizer" is a software package, and unless you subscribed to
the website and requested a check or at some stage you visited their site I
would ignore the message and the website.
Just how new is the laptop, if you have not been to the website, do as
instructed by previous post and see if Toshiba can give explanation, is it
part of their installation process checking!!!!
--
Regards
Bob J

"Annie" wrote:

> I have a new Toshiba laptop and other than Vista, am pretty happy with it.
> Yesterday I picked up my alreday turned on, hard drive light not blinking,
> computer and put it on my lap as I sat on the couch. The screen went blank
> for a second then a screen from 'Performance Optimizer' came on. ??? The
> website said I had 146 errors on my machine that needed to be fixed. Click
> here..blah, blah, blah.
>
> Is this for real? I didn't click on the 'fix errors' button but saved the
> link just in case I'm overreacting. I was afraid to do this because I've
> never heard of it before.
>
> Thanks.

Annie

RE: Screen went blank then...
Hi guys...the laptop is only 3 weeks old. I haven't done much too it and
only installed a couple of programs from my external backup drive. Also, a
couple from the web but know the sites are reputable. I'll take your advice
and contact Toshiba for further instructions. Thanks a bunch!