Word 2007 crashing

Katy M

Word 2007 crashing
I'm using a trial version of the home office software for Vista. I've had it
since early August, but have not used any of the programs except Word 2007.

I haven't done anything complex with Word , but it seemed to work ok until
the last week. Now it's started crashing every time I start to work with it.
I'm trying to do a very small newsletter (two pages max), so it shouldn't be
a size issue. No figures, pictures, only a couple of sentences in different
colors, a basic header. I ran the Office diagnostics and they didn't find
anything. The trial still has a couple of weeks to go, so it isn't that it's
expired.

I haven't tried rebooting yet, or some of the things one used to do, as it's
late. But it's a pretty consistent problem, so I wonder if there's some trick
I need to know about.

Suggestions/comments welcome. TIA

Katy M

Rick Rogers

Re: Word 2007 crashing
Hi,

With Word, one trick is to delete normal.dot while the program is not
running (in the 2007 version this file is normal.dotm). This is the default
user template and it will be recreated when you restart the software. A
corrupt normal.dot file can cause the exact issues you describe. You should
be able to find the file here:
C:\Users\<user>\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Template s

--
Best of Luck,

http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
Windows help - www.rickrogers.org

"Katy M" <KatyM@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> I'm using a trial version of the home office software for Vista. I've had
> it
> since early August, but have not used any of the programs except Word
> 2007.
>
> I haven't done anything complex with Word , but it seemed to work ok until
> the last week. Now it's started crashing every time I start to work with
> it.
> I'm trying to do a very small newsletter (two pages max), so it shouldn't
> be
> a size issue. No figures, pictures, only a couple of sentences in
> different
> colors, a basic header. I ran the Office diagnostics and they didn't find
> anything. The trial still has a couple of weeks to go, so it isn't that
> it's
> expired.
>
> I haven't tried rebooting yet, or some of the things one used to do, as
> it's
> late. But it's a pretty consistent problem, so I wonder if there's some
> trick
> I need to know about.
>
> Suggestions/comments welcome. TIA
>
> Katy M

Katy M

Re: Word 2007 crashing
Hi Rick,

That helped with the crashing so I'll remember it--thanks for that!

Unfortunately, there seem to be greater problems, specific to the docx
format. The only way I can work in the file is by using the arrow keys; it's
almost as if the content has been placed in a frame or box (which it hasn't).
When I close the file I get the message that the program can't recover
Building Blocks.dotx., then it crashes. Doesn't crash if I make text or
compatibiity versions.

More ideas? (you are a wiz!)

thanks again