wshtcpip.dll file damaged and can not connect to internet

Tsulliv1

wshtcpip.dll file damaged and can not connect to internet
My girlfriend recently bought a dell inspiron 1520 laptop and it worked great
for the first couple weeks. However, Monday when she started the computer up
it gave her the error message "GoogleDesktop.exe - Bad Image -
C:\windows\system32\wshtcpip.dll is either not designed to run on Windows or
contains an error. Try installing..." Once closed, the same message came up
but for SiteAdv.exe (McAfee's Site Advisor). Additionally, the computer
would connect to the wireless network, but get a local connection only; no
internet.

Unistalling Google Desktop, and uninstalling/reinstalling McAfee made the
error messages go away, but did not solve the internet issue. I have reset
my modem and router several times and the internet works perfectly on our
other laptop and our old desktop. The internet does not work even if the new
Vista laptop is plugged directly into the modem. While trying to fix the
problem, I tried to ping microsoft.com in the command prompt and got a bad
image error again.

I tried running the StartUp Repair, but it keeps telling me to remove all
USB devices and memory cards even when none are plugged in. What else can I
do to solve this problem? Am I right in assuming that the damaged dll file
and my internet problem are connected (the name of the dll file and from what
little I have read about this file seems to suggest they are)? I greatly
appreciate any advice!
dean-dean

Re: wshtcpip.dll file damaged and can not connect to internet
The file wshtcpip.dll is the Winsock2 Helper DLL.

You could see if the file is damaged by running the following command (by
right-clicking on the Command Prompt shortcut in Start
Menu\Programs\Accessories, and choosing Run as Administrator). Copy and
then Paste this at the prompt:

sfc /SCANFILE="C:\Windows\System32\wshtcpip.dll"

Press Enter on your keyboard. What does Windows Resource Protection report?

If you want check all your system files, Copy the following, and Paste it
after the prompt:

sfc /scannow

Press Enter. It will scan all your system files. It may take a few
minutes. If things are okay, you are given the text message "Windows
Resource Protection did not find any integrity violations". If things
aren't okay, it will attempt to replace the bad system files.

"Tsulliv1" <Tsulliv1@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> My girlfriend recently bought a dell inspiron 1520 laptop and it worked
> great
> for the first couple weeks. However, Monday when she started the computer
> up
> it gave her the error message "GoogleDesktop.exe - Bad Image -
> C:\windows\system32\wshtcpip.dll is either not designed to run on Windows
> or
> contains an error. Try installing..." Once closed, the same message came
> up
> but for SiteAdv.exe (McAfee's Site Advisor). Additionally, the computer
> would connect to the wireless network, but get a local connection only; no
> internet.
>
> Unistalling Google Desktop, and uninstalling/reinstalling McAfee made the
> error messages go away, but did not solve the internet issue. I have
> reset
> my modem and router several times and the internet works perfectly on our
> other laptop and our old desktop. The internet does not work even if the
> new
> Vista laptop is plugged directly into the modem. While trying to fix the
> problem, I tried to ping microsoft.com in the command prompt and got a bad
> image error again.
>
> I tried running the StartUp Repair, but it keeps telling me to remove all
> USB devices and memory cards even when none are plugged in. What else can
> do to solve this problem? Am I right in assuming that the damaged dll
> file
> and my internet problem are connected (the name of the dll file and from
> what
> little I have read about this file seems to suggest they are)? I greatly
> appreciate any advice!

Tsulliv1

Re: wshtcpip.dll file damaged and can not connect to internet
Thanks! That fixed everthing!

"dean-dean" wrote:

> The file wshtcpip.dll is the Winsock2 Helper DLL.
>
> You could see if the file is damaged by running the following command (by
> right-clicking on the Command Prompt shortcut in Start
> Menu\Programs\Accessories, and choosing Run as Administrator). Copy and
> then Paste this at the prompt:
>
> sfc /SCANFILE="C:\Windows\System32\wshtcpip.dll"
>
> Press Enter on your keyboard. What does Windows Resource Protection report?
>
> If you want check all your system files, Copy the following, and Paste it
> after the prompt:
>
> sfc /scannow
>
> Press Enter. It will scan all your system files. It may take a few
> minutes. If things are okay, you are given the text message "Windows
> Resource Protection did not find any integrity violations". If things
> aren't okay, it will attempt to replace the bad system files.
>

> "Tsulliv1" <Tsulliv1@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > My girlfriend recently bought a dell inspiron 1520 laptop and it worked
> > great
> > for the first couple weeks. However, Monday when she started the computer
> > up
> > it gave her the error message "GoogleDesktop.exe - Bad Image -
> > C:\windows\system32\wshtcpip.dll is either not designed to run on Windows
> > or
> > contains an error. Try installing..." Once closed, the same message came
> > up
> > but for SiteAdv.exe (McAfee's Site Advisor). Additionally, the computer
> > would connect to the wireless network, but get a local connection only; no
> > internet.
> >
> > Unistalling Google Desktop, and uninstalling/reinstalling McAfee made the
> > error messages go away, but did not solve the internet issue. I have
> > reset
> > my modem and router several times and the internet works perfectly on our
> > other laptop and our old desktop. The internet does not work even if the
> > new
> > Vista laptop is plugged directly into the modem. While trying to fix the
> > problem, I tried to ping microsoft.com in the command prompt and got a bad
> > image error again.
> >
> > I tried running the StartUp Repair, but it keeps telling me to remove all
> > USB devices and memory cards even when none are plugged in. What else can
> > do to solve this problem? Am I right in assuming that the damaged dll
> > file
> > and my internet problem are connected (the name of the dll file and from
> > what
> > little I have read about this file seems to suggest they are)? I greatly
> > appreciate any advice!

crackerjack61

Re: wshtcpip.dll file damaged and can not connect to internet

Hi there,

Did you get any answers to this? I have EXACTLY the same problem -
except its an HP (Dell in drag). Of course I can't download anything to
fix it given that I can't connect.

What did you do? Anyone have any advice?

Thanks,
Jennifer

--
crackerjack61
crackerjack61

Re: wshtcpip.dll file damaged and can not connect to internet

Hey - I just saw the response to the original email. Yay - thanks. But
what is the command prompt shortcut? LOL. Do I need to use the "run"
command? I can't find it on the start button and can't find menu
either.

Guess I'm computer silly. Help?

Thanks,
Jennifer

--
crackerjack61
crackerjack61

Re: wshtcpip.dll file damaged and can not connect to internet

Okay found the run command - had to add it. Now it says I must be an
administrator. And its MY computer. Any ideas for that?

--
crackerjack61