Startup programs and Windows Defender problems

Randy

Startup programs and Windows Defender problems
Oaky, so here's the deal... If I open msconfig and look in the startup tab,
it only lists 7 different items. They are all application I want to start
when the computer starts. THe problem is that I know there is other software
running at startup that is not listed in that list. I think it may have
something to do Windows Defender and it not allowing those items to show.
It's nothing I do not want starting, I just dont understand why it's not in
the list. I am concerned because I know that these programs are running and
that is okay, but how do I know if there are programs running that I dint
want starting at boot?

-Randy
Spirit

Re: Startup programs and Windows Defender problems
TaskManager - CTRL + ALT + DEL and see what is running.

"Randy" <Randy@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Oaky, so here's the deal... If I open msconfig and look in the startup
> tab,
> it only lists 7 different items. They are all application I want to start
> when the computer starts. THe problem is that I know there is other
> software
> running at startup that is not listed in that list. I think it may have
> something to do Windows Defender and it not allowing those items to show.
> It's nothing I do not want starting, I just dont understand why it's not
> in
> the list. I am concerned because I know that these programs are running
> and
> that is okay, but how do I know if there are programs running that I dint
> want starting at boot?
>
> -Randy

Will

RE: Startup programs and Windows Defender problems
a) Get Autoruns etc. from Sysinternals:
http://www.microsoft.com/technet/sys...tiesindex.mspx

b) press Start enter into Run msinfo32 ( [XP] Known as System Information in
System Tools). Check out Loaded Modules in Software Environment. This shows
more than task manager, but nothing I have seen gives a more complete list
than that from Autoruns in a) above.
AJR

Re: Startup programs and Windows Defender problems
Randy - Defender does not stop startup items from loading - Software
Explorer, part of Defender, lists items and is a good substitute for
msconfig. At times a baloon stating that some items have been "blocked"
appears in the tray- a bad term because they are not really blocked.
Software Explore (Defender) indicates whether an item has been determined as
"permitted" or as "Not yet classsified" (blocked).

Msconfig does not, repeat , does not list all applications or services
loaded (can be loaded in running status or loaded in standby status) -
entries in msconfig startup are generated by installed applications and all
do not make entries in the startup or run folder or in the Registry. for
example check the "Services" tab in msconfig for an idea what Windows loads.

"Randy" <Randy@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Oaky, so here's the deal... If I open msconfig and look in the startup
> tab,
> it only lists 7 different items. They are all application I want to start
> when the computer starts. THe problem is that I know there is other
> software
> running at startup that is not listed in that list. I think it may have
> something to do Windows Defender and it not allowing those items to show.
> It's nothing I do not want starting, I just dont understand why it's not
> in
> the list. I am concerned because I know that these programs are running
> and
> that is okay, but how do I know if there are programs running that I dint
> want starting at boot?
>
> -Randy

Randy

Re: Startup programs and Windows Defender problems
AJR,
I understand what you're saying, but these are not just services that are
know they are loading, but I cant figure out what is triggering them to load
on startup.

-Randy

"AJR" wrote:

> Randy - Defender does not stop startup items from loading - Software
> Explorer, part of Defender, lists items and is a good substitute for
> msconfig. At times a baloon stating that some items have been "blocked"
> appears in the tray- a bad term because they are not really blocked.
> Software Explore (Defender) indicates whether an item has been determined as
> "permitted" or as "Not yet classsified" (blocked).
>
> Msconfig does not, repeat , does not list all applications or services
> loaded (can be loaded in running status or loaded in standby status) -
> entries in msconfig startup are generated by installed applications and all
> do not make entries in the startup or run folder or in the Registry. for
> example check the "Services" tab in msconfig for an idea what Windows loads.
>
> "Randy" <Randy@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Oaky, so here's the deal... If I open msconfig and look in the startup
> > tab,
> > it only lists 7 different items. They are all application I want to start
> > when the computer starts. THe problem is that I know there is other
> > software
> > running at startup that is not listed in that list. I think it may have
> > something to do Windows Defender and it not allowing those items to show.
> > It's nothing I do not want starting, I just dont understand why it's not
> > in
> > the list. I am concerned because I know that these programs are running
> > and
> > that is okay, but how do I know if there are programs running that I dint
> > want starting at boot?
> >
> > -Randy

CB

Re: Startup programs and Windows Defender problems

Randy,

Open each application that loads at startup. Look for an "options",
"settings" or "preferences" tab or icon. There may or may not be an option
for "load at startup" or "load when Windows starts". If such an option exists
you can uncheck the option.

These applications load at startup because they were configured to do so. If
the above suggestion does not work for you there are other ways of stopping
or killing a process or application.

You may only wish to stop them from loading at startup as opposed to
stopping or killing them. You will then retain the ability to open them when
needed or desired.

Have a nice day.

C.B.