Avast with Vista Ultimate

Wy

Avast with Vista Ultimate
Does anyone know of any tweaks I can make in Avast to make my computer run
faster? I have a P4 3.46ghz Intel processor with 2gb of ram. When I
disable Avast everything is fine and I get the speed I want. I don't wanna
uninstall Avast because I need an a/v program but I will if I have to. Is
it safe to stop some of those providers that run in the background? If you
use Avast then you know what I'm talking about. I've already installed the
performance and reliability updates from Microsoft.

Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance,
Wy

Spirit

Re: Avast with Vista Ultimate
I do not run P2P, Outlook, Instant Messaging, or Network Shield.

The more you turn off the less resources it uses, however you could be
making yourself more vulnerable.

"Wy" <newtechie@nospam.com> wrote in message news:OSGxZrp5HHA.5316@TK2MSFTNGP04.phx.gbl...
> Does anyone know of any tweaks I can make in Avast to make my computer run
> faster? I have a P4 3.46ghz Intel processor with 2gb of ram. When I
> disable Avast everything is fine and I get the speed I want. I don't wanna
> uninstall Avast because I need an a/v program but I will if I have to. Is
> it safe to stop some of those providers that run in the background? If you
> use Avast then you know what I'm talking about. I've already installed the
> performance and reliability updates from Microsoft.
>
> Any suggestions?
>
> Thanks in advance,
> Wy

Carey Frisch [MVP]

Re: Avast with Vista Ultimate
Based on my own personal experience, if you uninstall
Avast! and install Windows OneCare, your computer will
perform faster. OneCare is optimized for Windows Vista.

Windows OneCare...you can try it FREE for 90 days!
http://onecare.live.com/standard/en-us/default.htm

--
Carey Frisch
Microsoft MVP

"Wy" wrote:

Does anyone know of any tweaks I can make in Avast to make my computer run
faster? I have a P4 3.46ghz Intel processor with 2gb of ram. When I
disable Avast everything is fine and I get the speed I want. I don't wanna
uninstall Avast because I need an a/v program but I will if I have to. Is
it safe to stop some of those providers that run in the background? If you
use Avast then you know what I'm talking about. I've already installed the
performance and reliability updates from Microsoft.

Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance,
Wy

Malke

Carey Frisch [MVP] wrote:
> Based on my own personal experience, if you uninstall
> Avast! and install Windows OneCare, your computer will
> perform faster. OneCare is optimized for Windows Vista.
>
> Windows OneCare...you can try it FREE for 90 days!
> http://onecare.live.com/standard/en-us/default.htm

Unfortunately, the antivirus component of OneCare has one of the lowest
catch rates in the industry.

To the OP: We use Avast on a lot of machines and don't see the slow-down
you are experiencing. You could see if Avast has any user forums or try
a different antivirus. NOD32 and Kaspersky are recommended.

Malke
--
Elephant Boy Computers
www.elephantboycomputers.com
Bob

> Carey Frisch [MVP] wrote:
>> Based on my own personal experience, if you uninstall
>> Avast! and install Windows OneCare, your computer will
>> perform faster. OneCare is optimized for Windows Vista.
>>
>> Windows OneCare...you can try it FREE for 90 days!
>> http://onecare.live.com/standard/en-us/default.htm
>>

> Unfortunately, the antivirus component of OneCare has one of the lowest
> catch rates in the industry.
>
> To the OP: We use Avast on a lot of machines and don't see the slow-down
> you are experiencing. You could see if Avast has any user forums or try a
> different antivirus. NOD32 and Kaspersky are recommended.
>

> Malke
> --
> Elephant Boy Computers
> www.elephantboycomputers.com
> "Don't Panic!"
> MS-MVP Windows - Shell/User

I have used Kaspersky for years and IMHO it has no equal. No slowdowns even
playing games...new version 7.0.0.125 is great! detection rate is one of the
best in the industry.
Bob